Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rico-isms

• 05-05-2006 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

The man is a genius. He spouts some crap, but somehow, all of this actually reflects on life as well as football. Here are a few great Rico isms

"Modern football is akin to a turbulent sea. Changes come fast and furious. One may be riding the crest of great waves before being engulfed in enormous crescendos of confusion. Sometimes is can be like surfboarding in the South Atlantic. You do the best you can to stay afloat while all the time fully understanding the fact that things can come crashing down around you. If you worry about the consequences you miss the thrill of the ride."

"The fundamental inability to grasp the fact that real leadership is accepting that you are merely another cog in the wheel has derailed many careers and deranged many managers."

"Football ... is a ballet of wondrous beauty choreographed by highly skilled performers, dramatising the conflict between good and evil that takes place in every heart. And, at the same time it reflects the impatient immediacy of modern society in that success breeds immortality, while the procurement of second place begets anonymity."

I especially like the last one. Ill find more later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What a wonderful, joyous campaign. We didn't have a lack of definable objectivity. We knew what we wanted and we went for it. Our interdepartmental choreography was immaculate all across the park.

'Our improvement on last season's showing was emblematic and symbolic of the improvement of our league. Success is the barometer by which people judge you so surely we are high on people's barometers.'

Not only did Rico and Cork City have a fine season but his programme notes in 'City Edition', edited by Gerry Desmond and Dave Galvin, went from strength to strength, as did his radio and TV spots.

'Your instinct is your only sporting friend in a sense.'

'Football is a world game. At one time indigenous to the working class, it is now embraced by all levels of society and is reflective of the worldwide diminution of elitism.'

'Football has a still more profound disposition. It is a ballet of wondrous beauty choreographed by highly skilled performers.'

'I do not know what the future holds. It concerns me little because I essentially live for today. These may appear strange works for a football manager especially when one considers that it is the future that will decide my future.'

'The consequence of this tantalising triumvirate means tonight's game of professional football exudes an added and quite distinctive dimension.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Rico translation guide (not real quotes but what the hell)
    Rico: "I felt there was a lack of definable objectivity about both sides."

Cork: "Pure septic like."

Rico: "The cataclysmic effect of one’s removal from pole-position in the most senior league in the country could be most injurious."

Cork: "We're flahed, like."

Rico: "Fortune favours the intrepid warrior that remains doughty in the face of adversity."

Cork: "Solid poxed, like."

Rico: "I felt there was a lack of interdepartmental choreography between midfield and attack."

Cork: "Wojus. They're some gowls."

Rico: "O'Callaghan has really regurgitated his career in midfield."

Cork: "Was that Georgie gawking his ring up outside Nancy Spains last night?"

Rico: "This coming season will stimulate in every heart at least a temporary escalation in embellished eloquence, so as to allow all an opportunity to express the most wondrous sense of anticipation and excitement that lies within."

Cork: "Jaysus, that last pint was manky."
    http://www.dangerhere.com/gufflog/guffbank/comments.php?id=1142_0_18_0_C

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

gimmick wrote:
    The man is a genius. He spouts some crap, but somehow, all of this actually reflects on life as well as football.

Yeah, he comes out with some great comments. Used to love reading his piece in the Shels program when he was manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

To be fair, he is a bit of a hero with his phrasings! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Rico what a man! He really can turn a boring game into the most wonderfully worded match ever!

• Advertisement
Advertisement