Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Wii: Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Ahrighty. It's been a week now since Nintendo dropped the bomb on its Revolution name change. So.. has anyone gotten used to Wii, or is the juvinile aspect just too much?

Nintendo... 105 votes

Wii!
    0% 0 votes
    Revolution!
    52% 55 votes
    Jaguar!
    47% 50 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm afraid to say it actually has started to grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

nay to name,

Yay to the device itself

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will be the games that make or break the console for me tbh, they could of called it the fun box and i wouldn't care as long as the games are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

tbh its only a name, its still gonna be great :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm getting used to it but I will never like it. Still it will be the games that will sell me the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The things you can do with the name are great.

I'm going to play with my wii. Does anybody want to play with my wii? I will thrust my wii in peoples faces. I have a red wii. We're going round to Micks house to have a go of the aul wii.

The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I'm going to play with my wii. Does anybody want to play with my wii? I will thrust my wii in peoples faces. I have a red wii. We're going round to Micks house to have a go of the aul wii.

:D Excellent!

tbh - the name has grown on me - more importantly its got the word "Nintendo" in front of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Of course you're going to accept it. Nintendo spent millions on market research.

Tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

"Revolution" was a dumb name for a console anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you look at names of consoles in the past, their all terrable, you just get used to them:

Master System
    Megadrive
    Dreamcast
    MegaCD
    Playstation
    X-box

All utterly awful names, Wii has grown on me, not too bothered by it now, its just another console name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I find it annoying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

It has sort of grown on me aswell.

Maybe emailing the marketing staff at Nintendo UK and telling them the company was finished and that they should find new jobs before it goes bust was a twee bit presumptious.

It is still silly tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Pugsley wrote:
    If you look at names of consoles in the past, their all terrable, you just get used to them:

It's hardly the worst name in history. Plus it allows new jokes to be made. Calling the other yoke the "gaystation" wore rather thin many many years ago.

Plus, it's not like the name is really relevant, at least it's interesting unlike slapping some new numbers onto the end of an existing name which, quite frankly, is boring and unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wonderswan is still the bestest name ever for a console.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Wii aren't bothered by it (that's a Royal Wii, by the way).

I was never too concerned but it has settled with me all the same... seems more natural now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

ObeyGiant wrote:
    "Revolution" was a dumb name for a console anyway.
    This coming form a man/Woman named ObeyGiant :)

Wii has grown on me........I actually think it's better than the "PS3" - Wow Sony, you pulled out all the stops with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Doodee wrote:
    nay to name,

Yay to the device itself

Ditto. It won't stop me buying it obviously, but I still think it's a pretty dumb name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

not a fan of the name, but i've been enjoying the mileage various journo's have been getting out of it, even the simplest of punnery "wiill nintendo launch next wiik?" etc, has been making me chortle.

c+vg in particular are being particularly amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

jesus, i'm sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

sprinkles wrote:
    This coming form a man/Woman named ObeyGiant :)
    Now you're just getting personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

What about gizmondo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Now you're just getting personal.
    no offence intended of course :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rubbish. TurboGrafx-16 wins it by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

WiiJagulator

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"So John what did you get the kids for Christmass"

"Wee"

"Wee?"

"Yeah I wrapped it myself"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

SyxPak wrote:
    WiiJagulator

Now that just sounds dirty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

sprinkles wrote:
    Wii has grown on me........I actually think it's better than the "PS3" - Wow Sony, you pulled out all the stops with that one.

>looks at the Irish Charts (one with the break down on what % went to what console)

It looks like Sony know what they're doing on the marketing side of things, so are you saing that with a straight face, or maybe you're saying Sony are **** at marketing and their consoles and all their games sell them selfes?

It's not about the people who will buy the f-ing thing no matter what, it's about getting other people buying the console and playing the games. Wee might do that, you never know. But going on Nintendo's track record and the way they're acting now, I'd say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've grown to like the name a lot. Revolution is begining to sound stale in comparison to Wii.

And the console sounds absolutly brilliant. Only thing I'm actually looking forward to this 'generation'.

Great article here from Time Magazine.. going through a few games, explaining the why's and how's. Don't think I've read anything less than "amazing" from anyone who has touched the console/controller yet.
    Time Mag wrote:
    The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I'm smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don't so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Goodshape wrote:
    I've grown to like the name a lot. Revolution is begining to sound stale in comparison to Wii.

And the console sounds absolutly brilliant. Only thing I'm actually looking forward to this 'generation'.

Great article here from Time Magazine.. going through a few games, explaining the why's and how's. Don't think I've read anything less than "amazing" from anyone who has touched the console/controller yet.

So are these being tested in a big conference room or in a real setting? Because my room isn't big enough to play tennis in. With eyetoy for example, nice idea, had some great fun with it in a big seminar room in college, didn't work at home.

Oh and if you want to play tennis, why not play tennis instead of swinging a remote control around your bedroom. I want the wii to turn out well but there's still a whole lot of doubts. I've yet to see a really innovative game or one that I really want to play. This week should hopefully answer a lot of questions though.

Advertisement