Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Wii: Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

steviec wrote:
    This week should hopefully answer a lot of questions though.
    Hopefully so.

From what I've read though, it seems the controllers will be sensitive enough that you can perform most actions without needing to dance about the room.. it might be more fun to do so for a game like Tennis but there's nothing wrong with that every once-in-a-while.

I'm fairly confident you'll still be able to sit down on the couch, rest your elbows on your knees and play a FPS or swing a sword or something.

Hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Goodshape wrote:
    Hopefully so.

From what I've read though, it seems the controllers will be sensitive enough that you can perform most actions without needing to dance about the room.. it might be more fun to do so for a game like Tennis but there's nothing wrong with that every once-in-a-while.

I'm fairly confident you'll still be able to sit down on the couch, rest your elbows on your knees and play a FPS or swing a sword or something.

Hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

Going from the reports after the original announcement of the remote that seems to be the case, of course they were only tech demo's, hopefully we'll see plenty of real-life examples at E3

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Maybe they'll change the name at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The name is fine. All this hand-wringing is starting to annoy me. Can we talk about the actual system and any further news on games, controller prices, present/future HD support etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

monument wrote:
    >looks at the Irish Charts (one with the break down on what % went to what console)

It looks like Sony know what they're doing on the marketing side of things, so are you saing that with a straight face, or maybe you're saying Sony are **** at marketing and their consoles and all their games sell them selfes?

It's not about the people who will buy the f-ing thing no matter what, it's about getting other people buying the console and playing the games. Wee might do that, you never know. But going on Nintendo's track record and the way they're acting now, I'd say no.
    Not what I said at all, you might want to read my post again. I said their name is unimaginative. Obviously they've built up a strong following fot he playstaion brand so it would be a small bit stupid to change it at this stage, but boring all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

sprinkles wrote:
    Not what I said at all, you might want to read my post again.

It is this simple, you're saying Wee is a better name.

monument wrote:
    It is this simple, you're saying Wee is a better name.
    Exactly, I think the Wii is better than the PS3, that's not what you accused me of implying in your original post.. that the brand is better. Of course the PS# brand has a lot of market value but it's not as good a name. It's my opinion based purely on how is sounds, not on how much it's worth

Anyway, the "Wii" name has really caught on, the negativity really stirred up alot of debate and comotion leading upto E3 which IMO saw Nintendo steal the show. A very clever move indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

It's funny. They announced the name in advance of E3 to let the games shine there rather than have the press focus on the unusual name. The "Wee" jokes where done to death after that announcement, they had loads of press, albeit mostly negative but they stole the show not based on the name but on the innovative controller.

They really couldn't have played it any better. The only problem now, is whether or not this good will lasts until they launch. Nintendo always have very strong E3's but they rarely if ever translate into a measureably strong amount of sales. They got more mainstream press exposure this last week than I think I've ever seen Nintendo get, but still nowhere near the scale of "Sony announces Next-Generation successor to wildly successful PlayStation." If they don't capitalise on this good press then it was all for nothing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

sprinkles wrote:
    Exactly, I think the Wii is better than the PS3, that's not what you accused me of implying in your original post.. that the brand is better. Of course the PS# brand has a lot of market value but it's not as good a name. It's my opinion based purely on how is sounds, not on how much it's worth

Apologies, for any confusion caused, I am talking about the name with in the context of marketing.

sprinkles wrote:
    the negativity really stirred up alot of debate and comotion leading upto E3 which IMO saw Nintendo steal the show.
    A very clever move indeed.

The 'negativity' wasn’t planned, so I'm confused as to how it was a clever move.

If Nintendo got a good deal of coverage around E3, it would most likely be down to their new controller, not the silly name (which cause pre-E3 coverage).

The negativity wasn't planned for but they knew there would be debate about it. It was a bold move and a risk IMO whihc pulled off quite well. Plus as already mentioned it took all the focus of the name away from E3 and let people concentrate on what really matters....the console & games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Im really starting to like the name now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

It's grown on me and I didn't think that was going to happen because I hated it at first. When I hear people say "Wii" now I think of the console instead of the pee jokes, but that's often the way with strange names. It's just a matter of getting used to hearing it. I still think they probably would have been better of sticking with Revolution, over here at least, because the name isn't going to grow on everyone and it might but people off if they aren't Nintendo fans to begin with like I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What I want to know is how long will it take for a Star Wars game to appear? That controller is crying out for some lightsabre action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Sarky wrote:
    What I want to know is how long will it take for a Star Wars game to appear? That controller is crying out for some lightsabre action.

Too right.I saw a fan video of using the controller as a lightsaber somewhere on www.gametrailers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

more @ eurogamer.net

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Funny how names grow on you. I wasn't very impressed when I read about the new name first - but after seeing the videos from e3, now all I can think is "Wheeeeeee!" when I see it (and in my head it sounds very similar to that noise Mario makes at intervals during games) :)

Can't wait to play this!

Advertisement