Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When a mod steps over the line

Options
  • 05-05-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

So. What do you do if a moderator disagrees with your expressed opinion, calls it trolling and bans you using "text speak" ?

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Example.
    There s no clear cut generic response to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Yeah it's a problem alright. Basically I replied on a thread that was discussing a criminal/illegal activity.
    I stated my opinion on the activity ( I didn't agree with it ) I didn't mention anyone on the thread or criticise anyones opinion. I was subsequently called a "troll" and a "smartass" by this moderator who also banned me.

Guess there's not much can be done. Seems it's acceptable for this moderator to hide behind their status and attempt to bully someone. I didn't realise this was the sort of behaviour that the administrators of boards.ie condoned but I guess it's ok since there's no mechanism in place to deal with this type of behaviour.

Thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There is no 1 rule as each forum is different.
    It's only a one week ban. "bullying"? pfft.
    Learn from it, and move on.

Link to it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51322412&postcount=15
    Presumably.
    [No mention of txtspk - although, you should note that this is generally frowned upon in most forums.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

All the textspeak in PM

Yes Karoma "bullying" - do you have a problem with that ?

Can't be arsed. Think it's time to leave this place

shabbyroad wrote:
    All the textspeak in PM

Yes Karoma "bullying" - do you have a problem with that ?

Can't be arsed. Think it's time to leave this place
    I'd answer but you seem to get offended too easily.
    Cheerio.

I would imagine the mod used text speak in a PM or something... that is the only thing that could make sense.

EDIT: I am like super right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If its any consolation I think that was a little extreme modding going on there.

Its perfectly valid opinion given the above link to what the little feckers are doing to Swords at the moment.

Very harsh modding imo. I would start a thread on feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Karoma wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51322412&postcount=15
    Presumably.
    [No mention of txtspk - although, you should note that this is generally frowned upon in most forums.]

You know what? I was watching that 'tagging' thread for a while and was getting really angry about some of the morons (won't name them and give them the oxygen of publicity) who seem hell-bent on making Dublin look like NYC.

However, I knew something like this would happen in that thread.

Surprising considering how conscious of litigious matters boards is on the whole, especially mods, who do seem to have an unofficial duty to protect the legal exposure of boards.ie in the context of promoting illegal activity.

Shabbyroad, I think the opinion you expressed in that thread was more than justified considering the illegal activity being promoted, and I think 'tintinr35' should have his/her mod rights removed for such complete muppetry.

• Advertisement

Shabbyroad: Post in the Help Desk.

Advertisement