Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best house on campus?

Options
  • 05-05-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm applying for Res next year, not sure what house to go for. A lot of people are saying Mervilles pretty good. Anyone lived their, or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Apply for the new roebuck. Its the newest so clearly it will be the best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lived in Merville, decent enuff, basic accom, the centra is dead handy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Lived in Merville, decent enuff, basic accom, the centra is dead handy too!
    ya handy but a rip off!!!
    the electricity in merville/Glenomena and i presume the new roebuck are all on electricity card meters and its a ****ing rob

tintinr35 wrote:
    ya handy but a rip off!!!

It isn't that bad, i mean for getting stuff at night its fine....obviously wouldn't recommend doin a proper shop there!

[/QUOTE]the electricity in merville/Glenomena and i presume the new roebuck are all on electricity card meters and its a ****ing rob[/QUOTE]

We only spent like 1 euro a day between 4 of us last year, not so bad i don't think.....the new places in Roebuck may not have ovens (like Glenomena doesn't!)

p_larkin99 wrote:
    It isn't that bad, i mean for getting stuff at night its fine....obviously wouldn't recommend doin a proper shop there!
    the electricity in merville/Glenomena and i presume the new roebuck are all on electricity card meters and its a ****ing rob[/QUOTE]

We only spent like 1 euro a day between 4 of us last year, not so bad i don't think.....the new places in Roebuck may not have ovens (like Glenomena doesn't!)[/QUOTE]
    feck that was pretty good we used to spend 40 quid a week between 4 of us the last year....but then again in first year our meter was frozen all year and we didnt pay for electricity at all!!!

• Advertisement

40 quid a week??? how did you manage that? Did u leave the heating on all the time and the shower switches on?

I honestly don't think the leccy is that bad, jus annoying that you have to keep goin down to centra and buying the cards for em.....it'd prob be worse though if you got a bill like in Belgrove!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ive done Roebuck and Belgrove......roebucks too far away from the bar (u really get lazy when living on campus)
    Belgrove is far and away the best-good craic and handy for lectures. Im applying to glenomena next year....cant wait..my own shower and bathroom....yipee!!

panda100 wrote:
    roebucks too far away from the bar

Its crap accom anyways, only decent things is that Spar is round the corner for the offie
    panda100 wrote:
    Im applying to glenomena next year....cant wait..my own shower and bathroom....yipee!!

You have to be post-grad to apply for that right? Plus you won't have an oven, which is v stupid IMO

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Its crap accom anyways, only decent things is that Spar is round the corner for the offie

yeah it is pretty drastic BUT you can get lovely single rooms upstairs and you really do get to know EVERYONE in the building!Yeah the spar wasnt there when i lived there but there was a shop in belgrove(does anyone remeber that shop?)

p_larkin99 wrote:
    You have to be post-grad to apply for that right? Plus you won't have an oven, which is v stupid IMO

Yeah but theres wireless so that sorta makes up for it and I use the george foremann for pretty much everything anyways so Im sure it'll probably do a pizza and thats all you need an oven for really anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Do they decide who gets accomadation based on how far away you live?
    If this is the case, what are my chances, I live in dundalk, about 2.5 to 3 hours away.

• Advertisement

Anton17 wrote:
    If this is the case, what are my chances, I live in dundalk, about 2.5 to 3 hours away.

Its really the luck of the draw at the end of the day.....Ive known people from malaysia that couldnt get merville and people from ranelagh that have got merville.

Anton17 wrote:

Well they said that for this year first off you must either be first of final year to apply for campus...and it is generally now given based on how far away you live (but not in all cases)

Do apply though, living on campus is a great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

They've changed those rules back, second years will be given places again this year, and distance no longer matters - from what I've heard anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

what's the deal with the heating in the res - i don't understand why they go for the storage heaters. i mean the boiler plant would be well able to heat the res's when the heat's off in the other buildings. cheaper too and more economical.

oh, is there some really funky/scary elevator in the old roebuck?

Blush_01 wrote:
    They've changed those rules back, second years will be given places again this year, and distance no longer matters - from what I've heard anyway.

Is this just rumour or is it official?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Apparently they got rid of the ovens as people weren't cleaning them and they can become a fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

panda100 wrote:
    roebucks too far away from the bar (u really get lazy when living on campus)

What roebuck is less than 5 minutes walk from tha bar! With Spar out the back now handy for a take away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

P, not sure, only heard it from an RA. Panda - I've yet to see someone cook a pizza or lasagne using wireless.

Blush_01 wrote:
    I've yet to see someone cook a pizza or lasagne using wireless.

:rolleyes: love to see that attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

This year I've managed to live without an oven... it was fairly shoite tbh but ya get used to it. Its amazing the things you can cook in a toaster!!

Blush_01 wrote:
    I've yet to see someone cook a pizza or lasagne using wireless

or a toaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

p_larkin99 wrote:
    or a toaster!
    Its been done... quite nasty and dangerous though so I really wouldnt reccomend it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Blush_01 wrote:
    I've yet to see someone cook a pizza or lasagne using wireless.
    USB George Foreman grill for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Classic, that's the sort of thing electronic engineers should be producing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Can people stop talking through there respective arses?

The rules change regularly and are different from last years in some respects:

Second years are being allowed to apply for campus. Preference is given by commuting time by public transport.

All info, inculding what complexs you are allowed apply for is available from www.ucd.ie/residences

What isnt mentioned on the site is what will happen if the new residences arent finished before september, in all probability they will but in the extreme case that they're not is there a plan B I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

what will happen if the new residences arent finished before september
    You can bet your granny that there are huge penalties for late completion of the res in the contract with the constructor. They'll pull out all the stops to have them completed on time.

Proby House (res in Smurfit) was only offically handed over the day before people moved in. But it was ready to move into.

And I think the new Glenomena buildings and the new Roebuck will have gas heating. I think the college is moving away from storage heaters as the means for heating. Which is good cos they're shit and expensive to run.

I love gas because it's quick and easy to run, but surely the college should be looking into something more eco-friendly? Boilers that run on oilseed rape or something instead of kerosene/diesel (as is current fuel where oil central heating exists...) i.e. use the same principle, just with more eco-friendly fuel. It'd certainly be a more forward-thinking idea.

Also, Kirby, cool as that is, it still won't cook a pizza or lasagne any differently than an ordinary GFG.

Can people stop talking through there respective arses?

The rules change regularly and are different from last years in some respects:

Second years are being allowed to apply for campus. Preference is given by commuting time by public transport.

All info, inculding what complexs you are allowed apply for is available from www.ucd.ie/residences

What isnt mentioned on the site is what will happen if the new residences arent finished before september, in all probability they will but in the extreme case that they're not is there a plan B I wonder...

u an RAtard or sumtin:eek: :D;) :eek:

• Advertisement

On a toastier note, never try to cook chicken in a toaster. A cousin of mine goes to GMIT in Letterfrack and was staying in a B&B where she had a toaster and kettle. Deciding to cook some chicken, she figured the toaster would be a good place to start... until it all went very wrong. Very intelligent and creative people can sometimes be very thick.

Advertisement