Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best house on campus?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

@OT: as the new Roebuck residences will probably be more expensive, if your money can stretch for it, I'd think you should probably apply for them as they'll be the most enviable for the year.

Tbh, there's not much between Merville and Belgrove - and from last year I remember that whichever one you lived in, you pretty much wanted to live in the other at some stage anyway. Belgrove has those few apartments where you might have to share your bedroom (but they're rare, you'd be very unlucky to be assigned one) but has a single kitchen/living room which is better for entertaining, hence it has a slightly more busy social scene; but Merville, while having a partition between kitchen and living room, tends to be more cosy and live-in-able in the long run, and has the Centra within easy access. But, as I say, there's little to choose between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

What are the chances of a second year getting a place? Realistically ...like do they assign more places to firsties and third yrs or is it even Stevens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Blush_01 wrote:
    oilseed rape .

Rapeseed oil surely?

Belgrove and Merville are e3,544, Roebuck Hall e4,460.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

No, not surely, actually. Oilseed rape is the plant's name.

I'd love to live on campus for the convenience, but I don't want to at the same time. Argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Blush_01 wrote:
    It'd certainly be a more forward-thinking idea.

The flaw in your plan when it comes to ucd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Re: Gas heating - they might be using gas heating in the new residences, but keep in mind that Bord Gais have proposed a 30 to 40% increase in gas prices from October. Factor that into where you'd like to live.

I still don't think I could live on-campus. Although the nearness would be nice.

I do want to live within walking distance of college though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

All energy costs are rising, makes lil difference if it's oil,gas or elec. You just need to find the one that is the more efficient. The wise people are investing in companies providing renewable energy, they're going to be big business in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bluepencilcase

"Scraggs What are the chances of a second year getting a place? Realistically ...like do they assign more places to firsties and third yrs or is it even Stevens?"

- Carlow was just about on the cut off point this year- your chances would be high for getting a cancellation if you really want it and you're prepared to gamble. That said, with 2nd years back in, the line will move further out (but with the new roebuck res it could be the other way around) so I'd say it will be just about the same. Carlow, tullow street, 3/4 of the way down beside Buzz's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Would Roscommon be far enough away for a 2nd to pretty definitely get accommodation on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I don't think there's any guarantee of getting on-campus. It's pretty much a case of luck. IIRC, there's about 1500 places and God knows how many applications. I know some people who applied three years in a row and never got it.

TBH, though I don't think I'd enjoy on-campus at all. I'm so much happier in my little haven in Ballsbridge (the house is great, even if all the current tenants are not) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

"Scraggs What are the chances of a second year getting a place? Realistically ...like do they assign more places to firsties and third yrs or is it even Stevens?"

- Carlow was just about on the cut off point this year- your chances would be high for getting a cancellation if you really want it and you're prepared to gamble. That said, with 2nd years back in, the line will move further out (but with the new roebuck res it could be the other way around) so I'd say it will be just about the same.
    Thanks! Its not for me though its for a Limerick girl...although I might actually apply myself it'd be just so handy
    Carlow, tullow street, 3/4 of the way down beside Buzz's ;)
    Yep, you got it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Convenience of campus would be great, but I've a friend who lives in Belgrove and her situation at the moment would drive me crazy. Since exam time has hit she hasnt really been going out so hasnt left campus in over two weeks. I think I'd shoot myself.

She always has horrible roommates, which would suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 pookie pixie

I never lived on campus and its my 3rd year.When you live on campus you never leave the place and its almost like school in that if you throw a party you have all the R.A.s on your back.As Kirisma would say "it aint right!"Thats not college.Id apply but if you dont get it it wont be the end of the world,just think how much fun you'd have in ranalagh or rathmines in a ****hole!Fun in a bucket!And alls you have to do is make friends on campus so if you get miffed you can just call into theirs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I know one of the RA's and she says they don't as a rule shut down a party. But she says there's one or two overzealous ones who do and end up hating their own job as well as making everyone feel miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Serendipitous

Im in final year at the moment and i lived in Glenomena this year. It was so so handy for college and glenomenas a good place to live study wise if ur in final year (and its great having your own bathroom and stuff.) The only thing i would say about campus is that its bad that u dont know who you are going to be living with for the year. You could be really lucky living with nice people or u could end up living with wierdos. One of my friends is living in Belgrove this year and she has hated it cause her flatmates are horrible. It uck of the draw really. But best res i would def say is glenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I never lived on campus and its my 3rd year.When you live on campus you never leave the place and its almost like school in that if you throw a party you have all the R.A.s on your back.As Kirisma would say "it aint right!"Thats not college.Id apply but if you dont get it it wont be the end of the world,just think how much fun you'd have in ranalagh or rathmines in a ****hole!Fun in a bucket!And alls you have to do is make friends on campus so if you get miffed you can just call into theirs.

No way hose .....all the ra's Ive had have been brill....if you keep the noise to a suitable level then the RA's never give out...unless you have an arsey uptight RA which has been known to happen.
    Also if your from Dublin then most people just write down their second cousins who live in the most southern part of cork address,that usually gets them in;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

panda100 wrote:
    Also if your from Dublin then most people just write down their second cousins who live in the most southern part of cork address,that usually gets them in;)

And takes up places that people who have a genuinely gruelling commute could do with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

elmyra wrote:
    And takes up places that people who have a genuinely gruelling commute could do with.

yeah its not fair but its the reality of what is done unfortunatly:(

Advertisement