Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet entertainment base

• 05-05-2006 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

i recently just came across this package and it seems to be the ideal one for my situation. im about 4/5km from an enabled exchange (churchfield in cork) so eircom and all the other companies that re-sell eircoms BB cant provide me with BB.

my parents want to keep our number because they've has it since 1977 and as you can imagine they dont want the hassle of going through a number change. so this package allows us to keep our eircom number that we've always had but we can now get BB as an add on so to speak.

not sure how it works exactly. all i want to know is is this too good to be true?

the details of it can be found at http://www.magnet.ie/packages/base.shtml

but its 2mb down 256 up 10GB download limit and €29 a month. i cant find out what the contention of this is so if anyone knows please tell me.

also id like to know if anyone has this package or tried to get it but ran into difficulties

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think that all of these resold Eircom packages have a 48:1 contention rate. Any of the resold packages will allow you keep your number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it is Magnet LLU then:

The broadband is good.

The TV is rotten

The phone may not support fax or modem as it is VOIP based.

If it is Magnet reselling Eircom Bitstream, then no TV on it, and the phone is unaffected, as is the case with any Eircom reseller.

If companies that resell Eircom and /or eircom can't provide then your line is failing.

Almost all broadband including Digiweb Metro Wireless let you keep your exsiting number.

If the other Broadband via ADSL can't offer due to bad line, then Magnet may not be able to either.

4km to 5km is limit for adsl based broadband. Wireless Metro works up to 15km in very clear view of mast. Also includes a wireless based phone socket for regular phone though due to Eircom system it can take several months to move an existing number to it (during this time the Eircam and the new socket both work).

Contact Magnet and see if they can offer a service, I'd think it unlikely.

ardmacha wrote:
    I think that all of these resold Eircom packages have a 48:1 contention rate. Any of the resold packages will allow you keep your number.

You can get 48:1 or 24:1 contention on Bitstream (resold Eircom). BT is good value if you rent line from them also.

Magnet or Smart are only really of advantage on higher bitrates 3M , 6M and with LLU (Local Loop Unbundling). The LLU packages may be awkward to move a n existing number to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

thing is i cant get any resold eircom packages so that has limited me to just magnet in terms of landline BB with the use of their ADSL2+ technology.

magnet told me they can provide all servies to me which they can because my exchange is enabled with their technolgoy but the question is will it actually be available when i order it. i fully expect them to say theres a problem with eircom even though they told me is was totally seperate from eircom. im ordering it tomorrow anyway so ill keep ye posted as to the outcome of it.

as for digiweb im again about 4km for the digiweb mast in cork which is based in collins barricks on the northside of the city. i can see it perfectly from my front door at night because it has a red light on the top of the mast. but this is where it all comes crashing down for me the mast only broadcast south which means i cant get it.

ive been trying for about a year to get BB and this finally looks like it will work. there have been many false dawns but heres hoping for a solution-finally

im just after thinking of something that might completely screw up my hopes.

if i can keep my number with this package does it mean that its just an eircom re-sell? despite them telling me it was with there own ADSL2+ technology?

if i cant get it i will be so annoyed because its been false dawn after false dawn for me!

• Advertisement

At 4 to 5km ADSL2 doesn't do much more than ADSL. Well you never know. If the line is failing because of a pair cgain, then with LLU Eircom I think have to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I thought 5Km is ok to get BB. Luckily for me, I'm only 20 feet away from my exchange :)

ya i think im about 5 km at the most so fingers crossed that adsl2+ will reach this far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 namteg

Magnet base is actually a line share product, not bitstream. Thats why it's possible to keep your own phone number

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If Chorus have cable TV in your area, you could try them.

They now offer BB in some areas of Cork and it doesn't require you to get their TV service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement