Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argh its the bloody sleepy sleepys that will be my downfall

Options
  • 05-05-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

whats the best legal way of keeping yourself energetic? ive tried nutrition, early nights, no alcohol (i know, its tough) and still those big fat encyclopaedias that i seem to love hauling around just seem like such perfect pillows. I was on red bull, downing about 6 cans a day but gave me awful throataches, was trying to figure out why maybe anyone who actually remembers their pharmacology like i should can figure out that one... anyway answers on a postcard to lovely hurling, cloud nine, The JJ-Libe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

speed and coffee does the trick for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Now I dont want to come across all god like medical student but tough Im going to anyway....:D

Exercising really is important when your studying.A power walk for half an hour in the evening or at lunchtime will get blood circulating to those all important cerebral hemispheres again.

Keeping hydrated........not with coffee and red bull...water is vitally important to keep all those little cells nice and alert and in tip top condition so get lots of ballygowan into you.

Getting 8 hours sleep.....really important this one.Its quality and not quantity when it comes to study and you can only really do quality study on a good nights sleep.

My prescription for you lovely hurling would be to have a nice relaxing bath tonight(put a bit of lavender in it) and hit the hay around 10. Then you'll be nice and refreshed for a good weekends work ahead of you!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

bath?? lavender?? im not gay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Grimes wrote:
    speed and coffee does the trick for me.
    thats what im talking about!!

actually i dont do that much study. The Speed, Coke and Hash is just to reward myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Lovelyhurling's back? Cool. Anyway I find staying up till 4 the night before any given studying day and then getting a hearty sleep till at least twelve noon energise's me. Realistically direct the rest of the day toward study, say four or six hours (which you'll be well able for) and it'll seem like a breeze!

Lovelyhurling's back? Cool. Anyway I find staying up till 4 the night before any given studying day and then gettig a hearty sleep till at least twelve noon energise's me. Realistically direct the rest of the day toward study, say four or six hours (which you'll be well able for) and it'll seem like a breeze!

thats what i do and its never failed me once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Grimes wrote:
    thats what i do and its never failed me once
    Ditto.

Well... Apart from those 2 times...

oh and that one time for me. But other than that its done well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

See? tried and tested-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Same here. My brain doesnt function properly until after about 12 so i usually start studying at around 2-3, then quit around 8 or 9.

Not so good when it comes to morning exams though. But I usually only get around 4 hours of sleep a night anyway.

I get to the exam hall at dawn. Have a small amount of notes from what i guess is coming up. Cram for 5-6 hours and churn it all out in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Same here. My brain doesnt function properly until after about 12 so i usually start studying at around 2-3, then quit around 8 or 9.

Not so good when it comes to morning exams though. But I usually only get around 4 hours of sleep a night anyway.

4 hours?!
    I normally get 8. Can you just not sleep for any longer?
    I'd be so so cranky if I only got 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

panda100 wrote:
    Now I dont want to come across all god like medical student but tough Im going to anyway....:D

Exercising really is important when your studying.A power walk for half an hour in the evening or at lunchtime will get blood circulating to those all important cerebral hemispheres again.

Keeping hydrated........not with coffee and red bull...water is vitally important to keep all those little cells nice and alert and in tip top condition so get lots of ballygowan into you.

Getting 8 hours sleep.....really important this one.Its quality and not quantity when it comes to study and you can only really do quality study on a good nights sleep.

My prescription for you lovely hurling would be to have a nice relaxing bath tonight(put a bit of lavender in it) and hit the hay around 10. Then you'll be nice and refreshed for a good weekends work ahead of you!:)

so unappreciated eh!!!!! that is good advice tho i always find that if im hitting a slump and i go for a 10/20 minute walk u feel really awake and ready to study when you come bak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I know some people who took speed to get their cramming done last year, it seemed to serve them all well.
    Personally I just deal with being tired and grouchy for a few weeks and sleep later.

And this whole eight hours sleep thing is a feckin pipe dream, five hours is an excellent night for me, usually I get three or four.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I survived for about seven months on five hours or less of sleep a night. Wasn't intentional, sleep patterns and emotions were both in a mess. But, y'know, I coped.

For staying awake, really cold water is great. Also, fizzy drinks (which I hate, but they're effective in emerergencies), lots of yummy coffee (not 911 crap), bananas, apples, and fresh air. I'm convinced there's a reason the pretty lake is right outside the library ... to combat the emotional distress of all the panicky students! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Go to bed early (i.e. before midnight) and get between 7 and 9 hours sleep. Go to bed and wake up at a consistent time each day. You only have to do this for the duration of the exams if you feel it prohibitive. And get a good breakfast. Avoid stuffy, distracting environments (esp the library!). You'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Cigarettes and Alcohol.

No use - I don't smoke and am temoprarily off alcohol. My caffeine intake, which is usually quite bad anyway, has doubled though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Thos 50% extra bottles of pepsi are a godsend

• Advertisement

Thos 50% extra bottles of pepsi are a godsend

So true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

But humbert told me he does it all the time??!!and he has three little rubber duckys to play with in the bath tub too....as he said 'bath time is play time'

But baths are yummy and relaxing! You should try one, they do wonders for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I don't study. Instead, i mentally balance all the information above my brain. This means that i have to walk very carefully down to the rds (im banjoed if they're in blackrock), making sure not to spill any info, or get bumped, or trip on cracks (imagine a full pint glass). Then when the exams over, you can simply dump all that info and get back to having a good time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I go with sleep, a nice shower in the morning and the paper to reduce the stress on the brain every so often.

Just started on the coffee yestereday - doing nothing for me whatsoever.

Boy watching is also a good way to reenergise i have discovered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yea ogling is a great study break, very...stimulating:o
    panda100 wrote:
    But humbert told me he does it all the time??!!and he has three little rubber duckys to play with in the bath tub too....as he said 'bath time is play time'
    For the last time, PLEASE stop with the sordid fantasies!!!*shudders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

humbert wrote:
    Yea ogling is a great study break, very...stimulating:o

And thus we return to the den on inequity from whence dear humber we came, although I do agree, really does help to focus, it just may not be the right thing we're studying.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Guys you should try out something called "Activit G".You can get it in the pharmacy its great for getting yourself up and going especially in the morning!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Pythia wrote:
    4 hours?!
    I normally get 8. Can you just not sleep for any longer?
    I'd be so so cranky if I only got 4 hours.

I'm kind of used to it at this stage. Been getting that much sleep for the past 3 or 4 years.

I tend to get a bit more on weekends but not that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm similar, 5 hours a night during term is about average for me.

Advertisement