Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Scared of heights???

Options
  • 05-05-2006 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

We bought a white & brown loppy earred rabbit last Christmas. We kept him in the garage in his hutch over the winter. The hutch is elevated on 4 legs, and so I built him a chicken wire run with a ramp up to an enclosed hutch on top. My thinking was that he would eat the grass as he wanted, and for sleeping or security, could run up the ramp to the enclosed hutch, out of sight.

I put the rabbit into the run and he stayed down there, even when a magpie came along and tried to peck him. I manually put him i to the upstairs hutch and left him there. The following day, I had to take him down.

Does anyone know of rabbits having vertigo, or is there any suggestions that you could give me that would encourage the rabbit to use both parts of the run. All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Des.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

I know a lot of rabbits don't like being picked up because they feel insecure, but I've never heard of one that was actually afraid of heights. Still, it is possible. Maybe he's just sick of being in his hutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He could be enjoying the freedom I have had rabbits that will sit out in the pouring rain because they love the outdoors and have to pick them up and put them back into their shed in the end.

Check if the ramp may be a bit steep, generally rabbits are good climbers and don't mind heights if they are doing the climbing that is.

If not already ensure the run has a wired top on it as well as a rabbit can jump up to 5 or 6 feet if they really have a mind to.

Encourage the bun with food half way up the ramp dont force bunny in to hutch, make sure the hutch has loads of lovely fresh hay in it, enough for bunny to bury himself in.

It could be that he's a little nervous of his new set up or that he's just enjoying the grass.

Ensure he's been vaxed against myxomatosis and VHD before the warm weather sets in.

Is the ramp slippy or does it have grips? You could try nailing some carpet on to it to give bunny a better grip.

Not sure what else to suggest other than take it slowly with bunny and he'll come around.

Other than that is the rabbit active in the run or does he just sit there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

He could be enjoying the freedom I have had rabbits that will sit out in the pouring rain because they love the outdoors and have to pick them up and put them back into their shed in the end.

I have two rabbits like that, they often sit out in horrible weather when they have a perfectly warm and dry shed :rolleyes: However when the sun comes out they hide in the shed :cool:

Is the rabbit kept on his own? Rabbit's will get lonely if they are kept alone, especially if they aren't house rabbits. Mine are outdoor rabbits and they love it, but you'll never see one without the other. Rabbits need the company of their own kind (Not with piggies:eek: )

Advertisement