Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nurse prescribing

Options
  • 05-05-2006 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone,
    I have an essay to do, what is the implication of nurse prescribing for newly qualified nurse, thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

1) Why should we do your work for you?
    2) What does that have to do with UCD?

Implications:

-Greater need for communication between nurses and doctors.
    -Need to decide which nurses could and couldn't prescribe meds, i.e. staff nurses, matrons etc. in hospitals, PHNs, staff nurses in doctor's surgeries etc.
    -Need to decide what meds could be prescribed by nurses, blanket permission or very limited - where do you draw the line and why?
    -Easier for scammers/addicts to self-medicate if communication is not instantaneous between all sectors of the medical profession - get a prescription from your doctor and a nurse and you have twice the meds... could pose a problem.
    -Would it set an international precedent and what underlying problems could lie there?
    -What kind of extra training would nurses have to undergo to be allowed to prescribe medication and would that extra training be college based, available to those already trained on an ongoing basis as their study days are held, how long would said retraining take etc.
    -Would prescription nurses be entitled to higher wages?

That's a few basic problems I can see, without looking into the thing in much depth. I don't really know anything about it anyway. Do the rest yourself. I'm sure there's some directive or pamphlet from the HSE available from either a PHN, the INO or the internet, to provide information to the nurses who would possibly be effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 olacool

Thanks for your information Blush1, its because it was cofusing, thanks again

olacool wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question, what is the implication of nurse prescribing for newly qualified nurse, thank you very much for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Eh, sorry but do you not think you should speak to the person who set the essay if you are confused?

Iit's one thing to ask for advice, its another to just expect people to do your work for you.

Sorry guys if i annoy you with the question, very sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not annoying. I just think it would be far more beneficial to you to get some better informed advice on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

or maybe post in the humanaties forum!! u might get more benificial answers there

Advertisement