Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The final Prem fixtures thread for 2005-06!

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The FINAL TABLE

Chelsea
    91 CL
    Man Utd
    83 CL
    Liverpool
    82 CL
    Arsenal
    67 CL

Tottenham----65 UEFA Cup
    Blackburn
    63 UEFA Cup

Newcastle
    58 Inter-toto CUp
    Bolton
    West Ham----55 UEFA Cup
    Wigan
    Everton
    Fulham
    Charlton
    Middlesbrough-45 UEFA Cup (subject to win in Wednesday)
    Man City
    Aston Villa
    Portsmouth----38

Birmingham----34
    West Brom----30
    Sunderland---15 (new low points record)

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    Middlesbrough-45 UEFA CUp (subject to win in Wednesday)

Mike.

Is that the case Mike? Thought it was only CL winners that got back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Charlton have a chance with the fairplay draw.

Poor Bolton, nothing in the end, Newcastle beat Chelsea to get it.
    Crazy stuff on the last day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

to wigan qualify from losing in the carling cup no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Feel bad for Spurs, for something like that to happen on the last day of the season is so unlucky.
    Relieved that United finally wrapped up 2nd, the record against Charlton has always been great but I was a little worried, Curbs' last game and all, that they could cause a little upset. Any fears were laid to rest with 2 goals in quick enough succession. Of course the only story in the paper tomorrow will be about Van Nistelrooy walking out of the stadium. Can't agree with the way he's been treated at times towards the end of this season, but I guess that's for another thread.
    Great to see Scholes and Solskjaer come on, also to see Rossi play 90 minutes of Premiership football.
    Roll on next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

congratulations to charlton for managing to both suck and blow within 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote:
    Ah bad luck Spurs still, at least they are in the UEFA Cup cos of the league not a Arsenal CL win....

And we still have a Barcelona CL win to look forward to...

I will definitely be cheering on the 'Pool in next weeks FA Cup final, never liked the Bingo Club, today has sealed it for me.

Disappointed it had to end this way, but realistically we were up against it from the early hours this morning. Missing three important players through injury (King, Jenas, and Mido) followed by at least four performing well below par today due to the food poisoning (Dawson, Kelly, Carrick, and Keane), Stalteri out with Delhi Belly, half the bench suffering from the same.

The Spammers were always gonna be up for the game today, they played very good football throughout the 90 mins and deserved the win, but we were dead on our feet.

Truth be told, we lost out on 4th a long time ago, the last minute equaliser against Wham at the Lane, the last minute equaliser at Sunderland, Gallas' winner at Chelsea. Arsenal should have been dead and buried weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

feel very sorry for spurs, despite their awesome record of dropping point when they shouldn't have this season, I was truly hoping for them to put Aresnal under more pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

lfc.tv wrote:
    Xabi Alonso will have a scan at Melwood on Monday to determine the extent of the injury to his right ankle that has made him a doubt for the FA Cup Final.
    Rafael Benitez confirmed Alonso feels confident that he will be fit for Cardiff but didn't want to make any predictions before the result of the scan.

"Xabi thinks he will be fit for the final but we will have to wait and see what the result of the scan says," Benitez said.

"The pitch was a little uneven and it is a problem with his right ankle but we will just have to wait.

Encouraging news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Aquos76 wrote:
    Is that the case Mike? Thought it was only CL winners that got back in
    Pretty sure Mike is right. Think I heard McClaren say it last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

****ing brilliant!!

A classic good bye to highbury.

Roll on Barca..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What a roller-coaster day of football.

And I missed it all, all in the name of career advancement :(

Relieved more than anything for Arsenal to have nabbed fourth. A fitting send-off for Highbury and it should allow the team to play without inhibitions on May 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Yeah gotta feel bad for spurs but hey thats football ! :)

This must be the first premier league season where the top 3 have all finished with 80+

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Poor auld spurs, sorry for them as they play a nice brand of football. As expected the top 4 and happy enough with United performance even though we dropped off at the end. Still 83 points is a good total which would have won many a title. Have to improve at the back as up front with 72 goals for the season is a great return. For a team that is supposidly in demise and some say would not make the top four, it is a decent return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Great end to the season for Blackburn with three wins in a row. Hughes could even afford to rest 3 of our best performers this season and still see us beat Man City 2-0. Terrific season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think even Arsenal fans will admit that everything went their way yesterday, and even before yesterday with the food poisoning! If it is proven to be malicious by the Police, it will remain to be seen what the FA could do. Spurs would be within their rights to appeal for a replay of the match, although I cant see that being granted as it would set a very difficult precedent.

Its a pity this issue is there. Arsenal did their bit with a brilliant display and recovering even after a hiccup, so a gutsy display all round. The signals are good for the CL final and securing the 4th place and CL qualification will lift an extra weight from their shoulders.

Charlton collapsed with some basic defensive errors to gift Man Utd an easy win. 83 pts was a good return on their season. Of course, the Van Nistlerooy issue came to a head yesterday, although it has been a big issue for Ruud and Ferguson in the last couple of months. Essentially, Alex has given him his marching orders and with Saha/Rooney, he has shown that they can get on fine without him. Ruud is still a world class finisher though and some club will now get him at a reduced price. I wouldnt be surprised to see him end up at Real Madrid for 8m-12m? or something.

Liverpool did their bit, but worryingly for the FA Cup final, Alonso sufferred a self-inflicted injury. That shouldnt affect the result of the final though and Liverpool are still favourites. West Ham will not be easy and are a good cup team.

Liverpool's tally of 82 pts is a good one and more than what was expected at the start of the season. What with Chelsea tailing off at the latter end of the season when it didnt matter, it looks much closer at the top than reality perhaps. There is also a large gap (15 pts) to Arsenal which is comforting, but of course things could change easily next season.

Still, with 5th place last season and 3rd this season, the target bar will be raised for next season to 2nd, although 3rd would be acceptable.

Well done to Blackburn for securing their spot in Europe, and well done to Newcastle for recovering a difficult season to get something at the end of it all.

All in all, I wouldnt rate it a fantastic league competition, as the non-title aspects were more interesting than the title race itself.

redspider

ps: I'll compile a points analysis at some point this week

Advertisement