Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

K&N filters

Options
  • 06-05-2006 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any info on these type of filters. I was looking into getting a like for like K&N filter to replace my current standard one. The guys over on the motors forum seem to think that they're a waste of time, so whats the verdict on these? Its a '92 golf by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id be of the same mindset of the lads. why not give westwood engernearing (sp) a call there in enfield i think . afaik they do vw's should be able to tell you what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

in my experiance on low powered cars, they only make the car sound better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

was looking at the k+n filters myself
    would cost me 80 euros for 100,000 miles of use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Just make it sound better. There will be no increase in BHP and that's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

FX Meister wrote:
    Just make it sound better. There will be no increase in BHP and that's a fact.

The advantage of using a k&n filter is that you cut down on maintenance costs. Instead of throwing away a filter every 10 - 15k miles, simply clean it.

In some cases there may be a performance gain from using an after market panel filter. It will generally vary from car to car and engine to engine, but there should be some small gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bowser22

but it really does sound really really good !!!!!!:D

Westward quote something like €400 for a typhoon intake. That's €400 to make your car sound slightly better. You would be better off getting one of those fake turbo dump valve sound makers.

not looking for sound affects

So what are you looking for? That's all you will get really. Unless you don't want to have to change your filter every year.

FRIENDS who into rallying tell me ,l would get better air flow through filter,not for sound affects,or bhp,just better air flow in to system and can clean it without replacing a 25 euro filter every service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Ask the lads at www.vagdrivers.net. They are all VW owners and load of them have golf's. They will prob be able to tell you whats best to use.

l have talked to friends connect with ralling and mondello track who up and down the country every month,if l want the best filter,would cost too much and not worth it too me,they tell k&n filters are are one of best for non -sport cars on the market,is 2 others and a lot of fancy filters with chrome fitting that do nothing,one of guys last nite put my jeep on this computer setup he uses for rally cars and told me first off,dealer didnt change air filter,oil filter and fuel filter which they told me they did ,will report them this morning ,not that much comes from fing dealers as most of them are crooks
    he checked air flow and engine with standard filter and k&n filter he had,46 per cent better air flow with k&n over standard,told me every car different with k&n filters
    the sencor in air intake was dirty which would not help
    what more is there to say

So did you check the before and after BHP?

He checked the bhp also which wasnt that much,was more interested in mpg and way it was running with it

with the remapping l got done a month ago.it would make it better,he told me that people have to be careful with these cone filters,so cars work great with them and other with more senitive sencors will not work good,all will sound good ,as know,engines are designed with all components including air intake with sencors,some k&n filter fitted to cars whick have a oil compound on them affect the sencors and other dont get effected,wont know till you try it out unless you know someone that has a filter and try it in you car to see how it is before considering getting one

I've read what a dude, with the same car as me, on a UK forum said about the KN typhoon induction kit and he says it sounds better and gives better response. The original inductor takes in cold air though and the kn one takes in air from the engine bay which will be warmer. What car did you remap? Was it a jeep?

this is what l have noticed
    got jeep remapped and found out later after remapp that f-ing dealer didn't change the air filter and oil filter and fuel filter,dealers are great shower of?.anyways,changed the air filter ,seem better,after that then put in k&n filter
    have the k&n filter in few days,seem better and less smokey,there wouldn't be a big notice of improvement,but enought to see its better than the standard filter,in long run also ,would save money on replacements,
    will be giving a service next week on rest

FX Meister wrote:
    I've read what a dude, with the same car as me, on a UK forum said about the KN typhoon induction kit and he says it sounds better and gives better response. The original inductor takes in cold air though and the kn one takes in air from the engine bay which will be warmer. What car did you remap? Was it a jeep?
    got jeep remapped
    l would say worth every cent,big improvement in all areas ,no hit on mpg,some say you get better,maybe,for me ,its the same,had now not to hit the pedal more with more power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

no hit on mpg,some say you get better,maybe,for me ,its the same,had now not to hit the pedal more with more power

Obviously the power is still coming from petrol/diesel regardless of how hard you have to press the pedal.

VeVeX wrote:
    Obviously the power is still coming from petrol/diesel regardless of how hard you have to press the pedal.
    What l meant was there was more response and more power ther since l got it remapped,can notice it in pickup and passing out witout mpg hit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

I had a K&N on my corrado. Was the only non standard part. Standard bhp is listed as 158, when it was on the dyno with the K&N it registered 171.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Slickjim

esskay wrote:
    I had a K&N on my corrado. Was the only non standard part. Standard bhp is listed as 158, when it was on the dyno with the K&N it registered 171.

I personally would recommend that bit better, like the Pipercross or what I have in my car is the Powertec. They are reletivly pricey, I think I paid €135/€140 but it made the car far more perky. Not all that more powerful, but certainly got rid of that lag effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tommurphy73

Firstly Dynos are notoriously inaccurate and often read way above the actual power but they keep the customer happy. Fitting a K+N filter alone will never give huge power gains. Usually big increases in power is only a result of changing many things including, Free flow exhaus system (not just big noisy back bix) and re-mapping the engine where possible. Another problem with K+N filters is they often take hot air from the engine bay rather than cold air from outside the car. Cold air is more dense and gives better power. K+N do cold air intakes for many different car makes.

The way air is brought in through my intake is from a vent moounted above engine and directed to outside grill,so would be getting cold air all the time
    happy with filter since l get it,and when you compare that a standard filter is 34 euros,it pays for its self fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Im am very sceptical about filters housed in the engine bay (i.e where air is not ducted from outside via the grille etc). Air in the engine bay is hotter, therefore lense dense than cooler air outside (hence hot air rises). Hotter air provides less power (similar reasons to why intercoolers are fitter to turbo's to cool the heated, compressed air), so you may in fact diminsh the performance of you engine.

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Im am very sceptical about filters housed in the engine bay (i.e where air is not ducted from outside via the grille etc). Air in the engine bay is hotter, therefore lense dense than cooler air outside (hence hot air rises). Hotter air provides less power (similar reasons to why intercoolers are fitter to turbo's to cool the heated, compressed air), so you may in fact diminsh the performance of you engine.
    Well after l got k&n filter ,l took to friend who rallys and is has a repair shop and installed a extension to exisiting duct to bring in air from outside engine area,with jeep ,some jeep are setup to only bring air from outside engine are and so made easier to route
    did some tests and was happy with it
    there is a cooler as well

Advertisement