Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC vs. Mac

Options
  • 06-05-2006 4:40am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

right,

basically got into this huge pc versus mac as regards to design argument,
    i won't say which side i'm on for now in this thread,
    just want to know peoples general view on this.
    i'm talking web design, graphic design, industrial design etc.
    the people i was arguing against were all strongly for one of the two i've mentioned and said i wouldnt find any good design done on the medium i was touting,
    would love to know on what type of machine boards.ie was designed and built on.

Thanks,
    Denis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

You can use both. Apple have certainly lost the grip they used to have anyway. But I would imagine the pretentious types still love their macs!

For me, the PC has so much choice I would not consider using a mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

I cannot say which is better from a hardware standpoint, but one thing I know for certain. There are more PCs than Macs in this world. A lot more. And no matter what those programming jokers in Redmond, Washington, USA, say, the communication between these two different platforms is not seemless. There are formatting problems, etc., etc. So does it matter that there are fewer Macs than PCs to whatever you plan to do with it?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

right well now i'll lob in my two sense as apposed to opening discusssion,

i'm a pc man,
    i see the pc as the majority sharelholder in all things digital,
    i also accept that a mac is somewhat more stable,
    for web design i think far more people in general will view in a pc environment than a mac and therefore coding that works with both is great but if i had to choose one i wound go with pc,
    digital imaging works great with a pc also.
    i'm struggling to see any distinct advantage people see with macs.
    people will mention all the virus and spyware implications but if you are anyway careful with a pc you are safe anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Heard a lot of rumours about the new MS Vista OS that's being beta tested and to be released sometime after the first of the year to the general public. PC Magaine did a review and suggested that some of the advantages of Mac systems would be equalized with Vista. Might be worth exploring the reviews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dobblerphoto

I was a staunch pc man for years but always used a mac for any video work (OS9) but have been using a 20" iMac for the last few months and OSX wipes little bits of doody off XPs infant ass...

Of course, it's all about what you want to do with it and which one suits your style or way of doing things better. And they both do certain things very well and I enjoy using both but for style, ease of use and lower stress levels, I'd have to recommend mac all the way... It's just a far more advanced operating system..

Best thing to do is try to have a go on both and see which one feels the best to you.

Peace out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

mayordenis wrote:
    [they] said i wouldnt find any good design done on the medium i was touting
    PCs/Macs are only a tool... it's the people operating them that matters... sit a talented person down infront of an etch-o-sketch and you'll get some good design... whatever tool works for you tbh.
    It's such a pointless argument anyway, probably fueled by the same people who really believed Intel chips made your internet faster :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well your right they wouldn't be exactly computer people but thats basically the argument i put forward,
    good stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A PC guy here.
    I have issues with MACs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

I owned a mac and a pc at the same time, on the same desk for about 3 months and i found myself doing all my design on the mac, i didn't make any conscious choice to use the mac or anything, it just happened. *shrug* When i design on the pc now i just get frustrated by its relative "clunkiness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dobblerphoto

sionnach wrote:
    *shrug* When i design on the pc now i just get frustrated by its relative "clunkiness"

That's the word for it... Perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

i owned a pc till last september when i jumped ship in favour of macs and i took to them like a duck to water. if your switching jump in the deep end and get rid of any other computer then your forced to re-learn the way you use a computer. and its mush easier.
    everything has its purpose though, if you do multimedia, the end product is more than likly going to be viewed on a pc so a lot would use pc's for multimedia, but if your designing for print macs are better, they have better screens and have always catered for the design sector so im guessing apple know their target market by now.
    but these days there isn't a huge difference really. windows is crap because of virus' and is just a badly designed os as too much seems to go wrong with third party preherphials and drivers, where as macs come with everthing you need and "it just works". i've only ever had to do a forced restart twice, when i had my pc(dell) its was once a week.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Im also a PC lover:o

There is a constant Mac V PC battle in the young irish film makers:D
    when i had my pc(dell)

Thats why most MAC lovers never listen to the PC lovers point of view. The only contact they ever had with a PC was a crappy Dell with a bloatware ridden installation of Windows XP.

If they sat down at my PC, or any other decent custom PC for that matter, they would be converted.

PCs also cost less, and you get a lot more bang for buck on the Hardware side anyway........

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

conzymaher wrote:
    If they sat down at my PC, or any other decent custom PC for that matter, they would be converted.
    Are you saying that an out of the box PC isn't worth the money seeing as you have to spend more time and money to customise it to be up to a satisfactory level?

Personally I just prefer macs, I've used both for a while (PC at work and Mac at home) and I prefer using the Mac. That's all, just personal preference, and I have no problem paying more for a product that I prefer, and enjoy using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i have a custom built pc (which i built myself) and by far i prefer my mac.

and ok, pc's cost less, but try reselling them, you get feck all of your money back. Mac's depreciate a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I use PCs in general, but for some design related processeses, Macs can be superior.

At the end of the day, they are just tools.

Are you saying that an out of the box PC isn't worth the money seeing as you have to spend more time and money to customise it to be up to a satisfactory level?

I dont mean putting a window in it and putting flashing Leds on it:D

The Mac is tailored for Multimedia out of the box, but a €499 Dell isnt.

My point was a Good High-end PC that has been tailored for Multimedia, will cost less and perform better than a Mac.

The only advantage that an out-of-the-box mac has over a PC is iLife....

"The only advantage that an out-of-the-box mac has over a PC is iLife"

that and all hardware/software is made specifically to work in perfect harmony with each other. where as pc have been mixed and matched and have a lot of drivers etc to do the best they can to work with each other. hence the term "macs just work"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EssBee

PC and MACS are basically the same, I mean the programs you'd use (PhotoShop, Quark, Illustrator, Flash) are available the same on both systems. I prefer macs because I think they're more user friendly. They're also pretty. I wouldn't buy a PC for design work, but that's just a superficial choice, which is an important one seeing as the apps are the same. I would buy a PC for sound engineering though, as it has a lot more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

that and all hardware/software is made specifically to work in perfect harmony with each other. where as pc have been mixed and matched and have a lot of drivers etc to do the best they can to work with each other. hence the term "macs just work"

Unless you frequent Mac forums where strangely enough people discuss Macs not working :rolleyes: The ability of PC's to be customised (not pimped), in terms of both software and hardware has been one of its key advanages as a format.

They are both just machines used a tools. Used properly both are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Given the forum this is in and the OP's original post, I'd say PC but just cos I am a pc person.

Herself would go Mac. In college, all her graphic design stuff is thought with macs [tho the bloody books are for the windows versions :rolleyes:].
    There is still graphic design sw only available on a mac that a pro can and will use. [she's asked for some stuff I just can't find for windows]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

I got started with a PC by accident and subsequently bought a lot of software and hardware so that to make the desired transition to the Mac was imprudent. Then PC hardware improved, faster processors made up for the bloated installations and came close to equalising the two media in terms of general functionality. Now Macs are improving their CPUs and the game is on.

I still operate a Windows 98 PC using 98Lite, tiny footprint with huge speed benefits, as well as an XP which is adequate but takes a huge amount of memory and the OS is prone to frequent crashing.

Cat among the pigeons time:

I also have two PCs running Linux which I use for all my multi-media work (sound and A/V) because the software is excellent and free. The only problem I have is with the MIDI, as Linux just doesn't have support drivers for my MIDI interface, but the onboard MIDI is just fine (with Rosegarden or Ardour).

Why not design with it? No reason, I'm afraid I just find Photoshop easier to handle than Gimp, though I just downloaed the GimpShop last week and haven't tried it out yet - I anticipate being well pleased, though.

So, if the question is "PC or Mac", I think I'll end up saying PC. They saturated the market so that even design-snobs like me ended up buying one. But if the question is "Windows or a functioning, fast, secure Operating System" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭pokypoky

macs are beautiful...the end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As I said I'm a PCer but this is good. :)
    http://securityawareness.blogspot.com/2006/05/mac-vs-pc.html

BS:mad:

Since Apple moved to Intel, the Mac is nothing more than an expensive PC running OSX......

Google Mac troubleshooting or mac problems, and you will see that "Macs just dont work"

pokypoky wrote:
    macs are beautiful...the end

:rolleyes:

Lianli_V1000B.jpg

Lianli_V1100silver.jpg

xopranov1000bns.jpg

antecp180silver.jpg

The MAc looks like a cheese grater:D

apple-powermac-g5-1.gif

yeah i like the last one best...oh thats the mac, looks like my theory is right then, plus cheesegraters can be sexy too, how do i start a cheesegrater forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Conzymaher, i hope you're not actually claiming that the first images you posted are of relatively better looking cases to the powermac g5. I truly hope for your sake that you were being sarcastic when you posted that first image of the lian li because it's a poor, shameless copy of the powermac itself, (loving that beautiful floppy drive bay and the classy badge ;) ) because otherwise you'd just be a fool making a show of yourself.

You top the post off with a small, badly resized image of the powermac to deliberately make it look bad.

Here's what it really looks like:

powermac.jpg

gorgeous

gorgeous
    i second that

the move to intel chips = evolution
    for pc's to evolve you'll have to get a completly new os, and dont even start rambling on about vista. just because your wearing new clothes doesn't mean your different or better. as soon as they scrap windows and get the ball rolling on a new os the better. windows is a dying dog, and someone needs to realise this and shoot it. apple realised that os 9 wasn't the greatest so along came osx with classic so you could still run previous apps.

here is a video of a content windows user
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byYkk5HTk0g
    as you can see, satisfied....

Ok, So I just picked some random PC cases, but you get my point.

And everything looks good in the right light on a glossy back background.

And it still looks like an industrial cheesegrater.......

This argument will never conclude.

But PCs get my vote, because of

Value
    Performance
    Upgradeability

Both platforms have their advantages, PCs happen to have more:p

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:

But PCs get my vote, because of

Value
    Performance
    Upgradeability

Both platforms have their advantages, PCs happen to have more:p

If money was no object everyone would have a mac. PCs are cheaper and nastier and for this reason the world caters to them first.

Mac = Jessica Alba

PC = Bill Gates

Advertisement