Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye Bye Highbury

• 06-05-2006 6:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭

Well tomorrow will be my last time at The home of Football

First game there was against QPR and you could pay at the gate and stand in the north Bank:)

I will be in the clock end tomorrow and lets hope we make it a party by getting 4th place but not that hopefull

Slan Highbury we will miss you:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It will be tough to leave but what they are going into will make up for it.

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1435/thegrove050520064df.jpg

Farewell Highbury.
    A truely unique stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

First game I was at was on my 13th birthday, 21st of February 1998, Arsenal v Crystal Palace. Classic 1-0 with a very rare occurence - the Grimster popping up with a beautiful volleyed winner. In all, I watched bout 5 games there, saw 15 goals (not bab:D ), and 100% winning record for the Gunners!

Loved the place, especially the North Bank (where I saw 4 of the 5 games). Sad to see it go... But Ashburton Grove (I'm not fcuking calling it the Emirates Stadium) looks wicked.

Goodbye Highbury, it's been emotional!

Fave Memory - Adams blasting in the 4th against Everton in 98. That "summed it all up".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The home of Football

Ha ha....nice one!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Ha ha....nice one!
    That's actually what it's commonly known as.
    Can see you're a knowledgeable football fan.:rolleyes:

Fave Memory - Adams blasting in the 4th against Everton in 98. That "summed it all up".

Probably my favourate moment as an Arsenal Fan.

Not even Hollywood could come up with a better end to the 98 league season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Liam Brady talking about Highbury if anyones interested

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4960572.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

THOF will be missed. Should be an emotional day tomorrow, what with Bergkamp hanging up his boots for good aswell. Theres a rumour going around that the Who will be playing after the Wigan game too.

just like to say thanks to Bergkamp and Highbury for all the good memories.:)

SebtheBum wrote:
    That's actually what it's commonly known as.
    Can see you're a knowledgeable football fan.:rolleyes:

Known to Arsenal fans aye....and i'd say i am a knowledgable football fan too!

Fave memory, Keano's brace....sweet

Wonder if you'll fill the new stadium next year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

P Larkin it actually is known as the home of football and theres a reason. Thought everyone knew that. Im sure they will fill it until they are crap like all fans with big stadiums, they are full when the team is winning and not when they are not.

kdjac

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:

Ummm, im a blackburn fan and i knew that...you must be one of those blinkered football fans who only sees his own team in the whole world and no-one else :)

Ummm, im a blackburn fan and i knew that...you must be one of those blinkered football fans who only sees his own team in the whole world and no-one else :)

Knowing me like you do eh??? good riddance Highbury!

And from a Blackburn fan eh...u don't see proper football at your place!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Knowing me like you do eh??? good riddance Highbury!

Its true, i go for the boxing match. always great to see a few fellows getting knocked out by our boys ;)

Can someone please do the inevitalble and ban this p_larkin

Its true, i go for the boxing match. always great to see a few fellows getting knocked out by our boys ;)

lol

jank wrote:
    Can someone please do the inevitalble and ban this p_larkin

because? im only voicing my opinion, i'm not abusing anyone!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    because? im only voicing my opinion, i'm not abusing anyone!

Your hardly contributing to the thread or its title.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I agree. p_larkin99 is perfectly entitled to highlight his intelligence on this forum.

Ahem.

Back on-topic, its gonna be a sad day to see the back of Highbury, but all good things must come to an end. I'm glad to see the folks on the Arsenal site are still referring to it as Ashburton Grove. I always think selling naming rights is a shambles, but 100 million in cash is not to be sniffed-at really.

Personally, my favourite Highbury memory was meeting Ian Wright during a stadium tour. He was injured at the time and was using the giant bath in the changing rooms to rest-up. It was a bit awkward as 20-odd people walked in (including women), but Wrighty didn't seem to mind! Strange experience. :)

mr_angry wrote:
    I agree. p_larkin99 is perfectly entitled to highlight his intelligence on this forum.

Ahem.

Funny! :D
    mr_angry wrote:
    I always think selling naming rights is a shambles, but 100 million in cash is not to be sniffed-at really.

How long does the deal to name it that last? Or is it permanent (is this also the case with the Reebok)

10 million a year or something, 10 years ? i heard that somewhere, but not 100% sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

ppffffffffff no we only see Aresnal, Chelsea and ManU leave 3pts at the exit door :D * actually 6pts from our good friends in Old Traff, Ta very much. :D
    Will be sad to see Highbury closed down, it did have a unique 'close in atomshpere. and Aresnal has been home to so many legendary players over the years, Brady, Wright, Henry,Viera, Bergkamp, Overmars, Dixon, Adams, Winterburn, Seaman etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I always hated Highbury's low camera angle, but it's narrow pitch aided Arsenal's style of play. Anybody know the dimensions of the Ashburton Grove?

actually 6pts from our good friends in Old Traff, Ta very much

Hope nobody would bring that up :)

OTliddy wrote:
    I always hated Highbury's low camera angle, but it's narrow pitch aided Arsenal's style of play. Anybody know the dimensions of the Ashburton Grove?

Unsure but it'll give Henry more room to run in behind defences :(

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Assuming, of course, that he's still at Arsenal.

p_larkin99 wrote:

Provided hes not off to Barcelona by the end of the month :)

-edit-
    beaten to it, oops :)

Highbury is Pitch size 110 x 73 yards
    Ashburton Surface Grass (113 × 76 metres)

Wenger got 4 million or something to be a consultant, kept the pitch the same size :D

/Odd St Pats had to lenghten the pitch to get a UEFA licence or they couldnt compete in any football, why didnt Arsenal Richmond is bigger than theirs:)

kdjac

SebtheBum wrote:
    Assuming, of course, that he's still at Arsenal.

I was going to sneak that one in but thought better of it! (didn't know you were Arsenal fan Seb)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

KdjaC wrote:
    Highbury is Pitch size 110 x 73 yards
    Ashburton Surface Grass (113 × 76 metres)

Wenger got 4 million or something to be a consultant, kept the pitch the same size :D

/Odd St Pats had to lenghten the pitch to get a UEFA licence or they couldnt compete in any football, why didnt Arsenal Richmond is bigger than theirs:)

kdjac
    Um, Highbury is 105x70m, Ashburton is 113x76m, which will make it the biggest pitch in the premiership (I think?)

• Advertisement

Arsenal's Emirates Stadium page says:

"Size of the grass area will be 113m by 76m. Compared to 105m by 70m at Highbury."

Whether that's the pitch size or overall grass area, Ashburton is much bigger. You seem to be comparing Highbury in yards to Ashburton in metres, and a metre is bigger than a yard...

Afaik the pitch will be the req distance of 5 metres to fans, so the surface will be big, the pitch will be similiar to Highbury but thats from old news and stuff about the stadium. on the recent pics on the website it looks huge but if theres a bit of sapce between fans and pitch it could be quite tight.

kdjac

hm, well judging from the latest photos the grass surface is quite a distance from the fans (especially behind the goal), so I can't see that making much difference. The website reckons it'll be big anywho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Fave Memory - Adams blasting in the 4th against Everton in 98.

Was at that match, a classic. :D

End of an era but at least we're only moving around the corner.
    Arsenal are bringing out a special programme 5 GBP,
    this will become a collectors item!
    Let's just hope West Ham do the business today.:o

• Advertisement

I would have thought that the bigger the pitch the better for Arsenal. More room to run and pass and less room for the opponent to put 10 men behind the ball

Pepe is right. Arsenal will go form having the smallest pitch in the league to having the biggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Bye Bye Highbury, I have to say I loved to watch games at Highbury especially Man U and Arsenal.

The old girl will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i enjoyed the post match stuff at Highbury today although Sky ****ed it up once or twice. sad to see Highbury go but am looking forward to the new ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

p_larkin99 wrote:

its the home of football as I think they are the longest team playing in top diivsion in england.....They were not relegated in the 73/74 season as far as i remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ye they were never relagated from the top division. But i think Everton hold the record for the longest team in top flight football. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

As I understand it, Everton have played more seasons in the top flight, but Arsenal hold the record for the longest unbroken spell in the division, going back to 1919. Woolwich Arsenal were relegated in 1912-1913, but since moving to Highbury after the end of that season and dropping the "Woolwich" (sensible since we'd crossed the Thames to North London) from the name, we have never been relegated.

The best is the story of how we got back into the top flight in 1919 despite finishing way down the second division in 5th in season 1913-1914, but I won't say any more about that...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm sure Highbury was a fantastic stadium for the atmosphere if you were there but I hated watching games played there on TV because the main camera in the stands was always too low down. As a result, you could never tell how close the ball was to the touchline when it was on the other side of the pitch and a game always looked so conjested. Which I thought was a pity considering Arsenal always play such a wide game.

Advertisement