Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire working well

• 06-05-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭

Without jinxing anything, anybody notice that Clearwire is working very well since their outage last sunday?

APolgoies in advance if by posting this everything crashes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Not really I use Clearwire for a few things:
    Team Speak 2

Skype quality is poor. World of Warcraft I was having massive lag problems from Wednesday night until Friday afternoon, this seems to have calmed down.

Team Speak is now completely fooked, it either refuses to acknowledge my server is online, or timeouts immediately upon getting access. I have managed to get access once in about 200 attempts. (When I was on the phone to the Clearwire Customer Services) I made the mistake of saying I got connected once and then they blamed the server I was connecting to.

Its funny I have had no problems with TS until Wednesday evening, when both my WoW and TS troubles started. And I have seen this almost connecting crap a few times now, but what is so annoying is the occasional connections so I keep having to try to get on.

Oh I know the server is online and running fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmmmm....teamSpeak not working either here. I havent tried it all week until now as I need it for later today...crap.

Just as well really...another ClearWire feck up to add to my (long) list when I cancel my contract next week with them.

I assume TeamSpeak uses P2P protocol. This would explain why it doesnt work anymore on Clearwire.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

antodeco wrote:
    Without jinxing anything, anybody notice that Clearwire is working very well since their outage last sunday?

APolgoies in advance if by posting this everything crashes!

Isnt that what you are paying them for? Extraordinary reflection on a company when someone feels the need to post that things are working! (even though they may not be as subsequent posts would appear to suggest...............)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

well when i first got my clearwire it was great. but some p2p programs were not working. so i rang them up and they said they will unblock them for me and they did all of the programs that i dah that did not work are working now better then ever even torrents.it has gone down a few times on me nothing big but they have like takin 5 euro of the bill here and there which is pretty good have to say but it is getting to be a hassel that it goes downbut sure it happens with most broadband companies and besides there is not alot to download or look on the net anymore any way

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

dub45 wrote:
    Isnt that what you are paying them for? Extraordinary reflection on a company when someone feels the need to post that things are working! (even though they may not be as subsequent posts would appear to suggest...............)

very good point! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

@MadMike: You've actually gotten p2p apps to work using ClearWire?! How?!!

As for:
    it is getting to be a hassel that it goes downbut sure it happens with most broadband companies and besides there is not alot to download or look on the net anymore any way
    Are you kidding me?!

As for ClearWire, I'm still stuck with them (Still no viable alternatives in my area!). Biggest shower of cowboys ever. My service is currently running at 3 KB/s. I can't (Not now, and not ever) use any VoIP apps, and p2p apps, and online gaming, ftp is blocked and thwarted on a regular basis, and the response times for them range from 40 ms - 5000 ms!!
    If you have ANY other choices, STAY AWAY FROM CLEARWIRE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

Hmm I was pleasently surprised lasy night when I logged onto find TS connected first time last night no hassles, and while it was slightly laggy.

Disappointed though when I just tested it this morning and found it gone again. Rang Clearwire and now waiting on them getting back to me.

Oh I have working P2P as well, but then I only get 10-15kb at max, which to be honest is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

In Portobello and clearwire are still not great.

Trying to ping boards.ie last night and was getting pings up to 900ms and 25% loss.. even as late as 1:30 last night. Cant play WoW with pings like that.

They can be good for 5mins and then be crap again 5mins later.

I have tried using different masts and its the same story.

Avoid them like the plague. Where ever the problem is.. the mast.. the modems.. who they peer with.. Clearwire need to find it and fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

iam suprised i have had it great with clearwire

i ahev the 2mb line the cap as i have heard will be gone soon which isnt to bad at all

the best way to get p2p programs to work is to ring them up and thell them to unblock them for you

p2p programs are not illegal at all.

only what you download of them is and clearwire dont have the right to block them

i said the the chap on the phone the same thing and that it says nothing in the terms and conditions about blocking ports and ftp connects and he said

'we only block them to free up bandwith and speed'

and i will get them unblocked for you soon as we can sorry for the hassel

they will get sued for not unblocking for someone as it is a breech of contract and they could be shutdown from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

madmike18 wrote:
    iam suprised i have had it great with clearwire

i ahev the 2mb line the cap as i have heard will be gone soon which isnt to bad at all

the best way to get p2p programs to work is to ring them up and thell them to unblock them for you

p2p programs are not illegal at all.

only what you download of them is and clearwire dont have the right to block them

i said the the chap on the phone the same thing and that it says nothing in the terms and conditions about blocking ports and ftp connects and he said

'we only block them to free up bandwith and speed'

and i will get them unblocked for you soon as we can sorry for the hassel

they will get sued for not unblocking for someone as it is a breech of contract and they could be shutdown from it

This is not true. They will not unblock P2P traffic for you when you ring up. They will unblock certain ports ok when you complain about certain apps not working...not that you should even have to do that.

I tried to get an app (PalTalk) working recently and had to ring them. They refused to look into it coz the technician did a google on it and discovered certain parts of PalTalk use P2P. They sent me that link describing it along with a refusal to investigate further. I can't even log onto it because of them which has nothing to do with P2P.

Breach of contract? Damn right it is! And I shall be breaching mine in return next week when my DSL goes live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement