Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams

Options
  • 06-05-2006 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

So everyone, how are you set for the exams.i think im dead in economics.they lecturer gave no hints or tips at all.he is a a$$hole.so i think i will be failing this.and hopefully pass the other 6.
    I have still not started studying seriously i donot know whats wrong with me.im not taking things serious enough.

So how are you doing and are you set for all your exams

Cannot wait till 26th may:D :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Ok... english I've done enough to bullsh*t my way through so long as the questions are broad enough, which they usually are.

Pilosophy... tricky, medieval's ok if the right question pops up, ditto soul and aesthetics.
    I actually have the questions (or as good as) for political philosophy, the rationalists, ethical theory, Foucault and philosophy of being so I have no excuse but I still need to prepare my answers for some and I haven't a notion of being, because the course was all over the place and I only went to about three lectures (and one of those was during the election an I didn't take any notes).
    I haven't a notion of Philosophical anthropology or ethics so I'm going to try and wing them.
    Technically I should be sorted for Hume and Kant because I did an essay on it and the same topic's going to come up but... Kant' mental, I can't remember it all at once.

But I'm banking on acing logic (because it's blissfully simple and... logical) and hopefully that'll pull up m average...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i think ill pass politics but i failure in history of art imintent me thinks uugggggggghhhhhhhhi hate blackrock and i hate repeats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i'm trying to do medieval art at the moment and i haven't got a clue. I'm hoping my decent essays/slide exams and modernism/irish art papers will get me through.
    Am so dead for irish its not even funny but i think i have about 20odd% so if my lingustics and scot's gaelic paper goes okay i might not fail.

I don't wanna have to go back to blackrock. *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

yeah thats why Im studying there today...thought studying in blackrock might instill the fear into me.....and its working..this place is creepy (cept for the lovely seats and free ballygowan water)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

almost certain to fail....alot

• Advertisement

Yeah at least since i failed something last year it won't be such a big shock/problem if it does happen.
    Wow cheerful i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im bracing myself for a series of fails this time... Boo after passing everything at xmass

Yeah i'm trying to do medieval art at the moment and i haven't got a clue. I'm hoping my decent essays/slide exams and modernism/irish art papers will get me through.
    Am so dead for irish its not even funny but i think i have about 20odd% so if my lingustics and scot's gaelic paper goes okay i might not fail.

what are u doin for Medieval? im doin gothic architecture, rayonist and i dont really know what im doin for the rest!!! went to the su shop yesterday and got all the modernism readings.........ya 24 euro and not a notion of me reading them all

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not making any plans for August let's put it that way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Hey MNG I covered Luther, Erasmus and Calvin and all the reformation stuff today. Planning on doing Richlieu and the 30 years war and the counter ref tomorrow....the fear has finally hit obviously, but seriously just take it one exam at a time and start today, if you can do six topics in a weekend you can definitely pass, even four or five would cover you if you were lucky.

• Advertisement

tintinr35 wrote:
    what are u doin for Medieval? im doin gothic architecture, rayonist and i dont really know what im doin for the rest!!! went to the su shop yesterday and got all the modernism readings.........ya 24 euro and not a notion of me reading them all

I photocopied them during the year and didn't read them. She seems to ask about Clement Greenberg and what he thought about modernism so i might study that.
    I'm doing Gothic Arch, Romanesque Arch, Maybe Inular Manuscripts but i don't know anything about them!
    How are you for 19thc French? I'm so screwed its not funny. She mentioned Romanticism/Millet and that whole city to the country thing. Then Haussmanization and Manet. Oh and David.
    So i'm so so dead for that.

On a total side note, who are you in art history? Are you the chap with glasses who sits at the back on the right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maths - i've a leg up because practically nobody else ever came in for it.
    Antennas - terrible, have done very little on it.
    Digital Communications - know half, will wing the rest
    Communication Systems - My 5th option, although open book.
    Digital Electronics - Know enough to wing most of it.
    Biomedical - Need to do really well in this for next year, know most of it ok ish.
    Radio Frequency Systems - Huge course, with plenty of 'trap' questions. Doing ok in it.
    Optoelectronics/Filters - A bit wobbly. Will sort it out tomorrow.
    Applications of DSP - Got 20% bagged already. Lecturer has set consistently easy exams.

Could be worse i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Psychology [x1]...royally fúcked! the lectures i did manage to attend were spent on boards *curses wireless in Th L*
    Linguistics [x2]... Absolutely ****ed havent a clue where to even start, and I have to do well in the exam coz I barely passed my continuous assessment.
    Gaeilge [x2]... Really looking forward to this as I know I can do well if I put some effort in.... especially looking forward to Scríobhnóireacht an Lae Inniu paper as I find it so interesting and actually enjoy studying it.

Oh and then I've a stupid essay to write worth 70% for Irish Studies...its so lame uch...

I photocopied them during the year and didn't read them. She seems to ask about Clement Greenberg and what he thought about modernism so i might study that.
    I'm doing Gothic Arch, Romanesque Arch, Maybe Inular Manuscripts but i don't know anything about them!
    How are you for 19thc French? I'm so screwed its not funny. She mentioned Romanticism/Millet and that whole city to the country thing. Then Haussmanization and Manet. Oh and David.
    So i'm so so dead for that.

On a total side note, who are you in art history? Are you the chap with glasses who sits at the back on the right?

19th century french she kept mentioning courbet so im def doin him!! but thats only one question dunno WTF to do for the others!! i was talking to nicola figgis and she said to focus on whats on blackboard......then again thats an awful lot!!!

ya im the guy with the glasses who sits at the back!!! thats not fair tho cause there are too many women for me to speculate!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ferdi wrote:
    almost certain to fail....alot
    same as me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well... I only have 3 exams.
    Unix Operating System: Set for the Unix part, the C programming part needs a bit of revision. If only C wasn't so retarded with how it deals with strings, and I was better at dealing with regular expressions, I'd be ok. Think I'll pass though.

Data Structures and Algorithms 2: Should be ok, just need to do a LOT of revision. I've got a relatively OK practical mark, so hopefully that'll carry me a little.

Maths for Computer Science: Blecch. Not *totally* fux0red, but just need to look at a lot of problems. I have a feeling that actually doing the problem sheets, and not having spent the lectures online, would have been a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I have 4 exams, starting Tuesday. I have the 4 questions prepared for that so not too bothered. The problems begin on Friday with Commercial Law and then Land Law on Saturday morning. After that, 6 days to M.E.R. and then it's happy days!

besty wrote:
    I have 4 exams, starting Tuesday. I have the 4 questions prepared for that so not too bothered. The problems begin on Friday with Commercial Law and then Land Law on Saturday morning. After that, 6 days to M.E.R. and then it's happy days!
    i hate all the readings in mer.i havenot even started yet and have 2 days to do the whole mer course:mad: .but i have heard that its hard to fail the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Corporate Finance Law on Monday....having trouble with it
    Tues, international business law, should be fine
    Sat, Land law.....hopefully with the little break it will be ok but I aint looking forward to it
    Friday, MER.....yuck....thats the politest word I can use for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

so you could say, we're all going down together..... or is that just weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well... Purely focussing on the 3 exams I have this coming week:

Tuesday - War and Peace 20th Century International Relations
    • Origins of WW1
    • Versailles
    • Build-up to WW2
    • 1941 as Turning Point of WW2
    • Origins of Cold War
    • Atomic Bomb
    • Cuban Missile Crisis
    Thursday - Northern Irish Troubles (from War to Peace?)
    • Origins of conflict
    • Unionist and Nationalist Perspectives
    • Roles of the Main Combatants
    • Settlements, Peace Moves
    • Good Friday Agreement and its Consequences
    Friday - The Irish Experience 1919-2000
    • No idea... boned.

None of which I've started yet.

tintinr35 wrote:
    ya im the guy with the glasses who sits at the back!!! thats not fair tho cause there are too many women for me to speculate!!!

Eh well i'm the chick with glasses and curly blonde hair who sits a few rows in front of you, generally looking bored/tired. If that helps...since i guessed correctly who you are!
    Yeah i'll definately be doing courbet. I'm trying to revise modernism which is the only one i'm looking forward to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

SebtheBum wrote:
    • Origins of WW1
    • Versailles
    • Build-up to WW2
    • Origins of Cold War
    • Atomic Bomb
    • Cuban Missile Crisis

Tbh all I'm doing there is
    Origins of WW1 (both long and short term although rumour has it, it'll be a July Days question)
    War becoming a Global War
    Atomic Bomb
    Origins of the Cold War
    Cuban Missile Crisis

I know I'm most likely shooting myself in the foot but I *hate* this course.
    Sebthebum wrote:
    • No idea... boned.

So screwed for this one. Going to try and focus on,
    War experiences North and South (ie: social policy)
    Women's movemet
    Craig's government
    The Liberal Aagenda

I also *hate* this course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Got 4 exams.

Programming on Tuesday shouldn't be too bad. Looking at the sample paper he gave us (which he said was probably harder than the exam will be) I was able to do all of it. Helps that we've already done 40% of the course too!

History of Psychology....I mistakenly thought I'd have an interest in this. Went to a good few of the lectures but everything just went in one ear and out the other. Still, there are a load of shorter questions rather than essays, so I'll probably be able to pull through ok.

Information & Society. I did Info Studies last semester too, and I'm expecting pretty much the exact same questions to come up for this. Essays too, so there's a good chance for waffle :D

Finally, Quantitative Economics. Have 30% of the marks for this already, and the maths isn't too hard at all so I doubt it'll go too badly. In the case it does, attempt marks FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

SebtheBum wrote:
    Well... Purely focussing on the 3 exams I have this coming week:

• Origins of WW1
    • Versailles
    • Build-up to WW2
    • Origins of Cold War
    • Atomic Bomb
    • Cuban Missile Crisis
    Thursday - Northern Irish Troubles (from War to Peace?)
    • Origins of conflict
    • Unionist and Nationalist Perspectives
    • Roles of the Main Combatants
    • Settlements, Peace Moves
    • Good Friday Agreement and its Consequences
    • No idea... boned.

None of which I've started yet.

Seb, are you doing all my course?!

War and Peace: Should be able to bull**** quite easily on Richard's part of the course, or at least on the origins of World War I. Praying for containment or atomic bomb from Mitch. God knows what other random waffle I'll give them.

NI: War to Peace: lots of stuff on Blackboard but it's really difficult to read stuff on blackboard. Lecture notes are also there, which is good, cos his lectures were so boring I stopped going in February. Hoping civil rights or O'Neill will come up, cos I've covered that for history ;)

Irish Framework: Fortunately, I ilove Ireland in the 20th Century (it's my first choice for both ucd and tcd next year) so with any bit of luck, I should be able to waffle authoritavely (sp?). Problem is, I know the basics of it so well, I've done very little in-depth reading cos what's easy for me always bores me :rolleyes: Hoping my in-depth knowledge of Irish foreign policy (thanks Fanning!) will prove useful. Also, WT Cosgrave and Dev, the liberal agenda (since I come from a very liberal home, and my dad's a product of the sixties, so I've grown up on this type of stuff), and possibly the recent transformation of Ireland. Since there's so little documents available, even historians have to speculate so I'll just substitute my speculation! ;) Presumably at some stage, I'll also bore them with my my vague and unstantiated knowledge of Northern Ireland :rolleyes:
    Atm, am realising the advantages of growing up in such a politically aware household :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Lets see now...

9th - International Business Law (1st plz)
    -Principle of autonomy
    -Current trends in dispute resolution
    -Security & predictability in WTO
    -Amicus curaie briefs in WTO

20th - Evidence (2.1 plz plz plz)
    -Hearsay
    -Confessions
    -Improperly obtained evidence
    -Privilege
    -Legal/evidential burden
    -Bad Character
    -Identification

26th - Equity (2.1 plz)
    -Common mistake
    -Wife & Bank - undue influence
    -estoppel/legitimate expectation
    -Specific Performance
    -Mutual Wills

27th - Criminology (1st plz)
    -Feminist Criminology
    -White Collar Crime
    -Environmental Criminology
    -Genetics

30t - Jurisprudence (2.1 plz)
    -Marxist Law
    -Law/morality debate
    -HLA Hart
    -American Realists
    -Natural law in Ireland
    -Kelsen and the Revolutions

Equity is in the evening and criminology is the next morning, not cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Friday 12th - Expanding Horizons: Ireland, Europe and the World, AD 800-1800s

study done so far? 2 hours = funk all, 4 days left.... I need to kick myself up the ass badly!

If Viking Dublin, Anglo-Norman castles, Anglo-Norman urban/rural settlements all come up I'm laughing but I don't have a notion of the rest of the course. I should be ok, 12% in bag and with a guess another 16-20% in the bag on top of that... there's no excuses for failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Ok so people are doing detailed lists? Well here's mine:

8th - Corporate Finance Law
    Charges over Book Debts
    Insider Dealing
    Ultra Vires, Agency and Turquand's Rule
    Debt Factoring
    Promoters' Liabilities

9th - International Business Law
    Amicus Curiae Briefs
    The principle of "prompt and effective" in the WTO
    The Light shed on the DSU by EC Bananas
    Current trends in international dispute resolution
    13th - Land Law
    Easements
    Words of Limitation
    Merger of Law and Equity
    History of Freehold Tenure
    Lease/Licence Distinction
    Contractual Licenses
    Co-Ownership
    Adverse Possession
    Ownership Above and Below the Surface
    19th - Managing Employee Relations
    Fordism
    Post-Fordism
    Globailization and Europeanization
    Social Pacts and Partnership Agreements
    HRM and Personnel Management

loadz of people are doing the same exam as me the MER on 19th may.
    its so much reading.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ooh, I like this game.

11th - 18th Century Literature
    Evelina
    Pamela
    A School for Scandal
    She Stoops to Conquer
    Shamela
    The English Novel (Fielding and Richardson)
    Poss. Women's Issues

22nd - 19th Century Literature
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    King Solomon's Mines
    North and South
    Poss. A Drama in Muslin/Bleak House
    Victorian Issues
    Not a clue

29th - Medieval Texts and Manuscripts
    Accurate transcription of set piece from manuscript
    Translation of above into idiomatic English
    Font distinctions
    Hocleve
    The Owl and the Nightingale
    Findern

31st - Gender and Sexuality in Shakespeare
    Queer theory in Shakespeare
    Lesbianism and lesbian visibility in two of Shakey's plays
    Poss. Romeo and Juliet with Othello with reference to homo- and hetero- eroticism in the early modern period.
    Bestiality in A Midsummernight's Dream and The Tempest.

31st - Language in Ireland
    Hiberno-English grammar
    Stage Irishness
    The D4 accent - fact roysh or, loike, fiction
    Shelta (maybe - it's a bit sensitive though!)
    Analysis of Hiberno-English writing
    Hiberno-English as Irish thoughts through English words

2nd - Irish Theatre Controversies
    By the Bog of Cats
    Translations
    In the Shadow of the Glen
    The Plough and the Stars
    Poss. Playboy
    Stage Irishness as a means of reaching an international audience
    Controversies surrounding the plays and their performances - riots at the performances etc.

Not three bad, really. Medieval will probably be the worst because it's so technical, but half of Hiberno is the same, and Hiberno and Shakey are on the same day which is poo on a stick.

Advertisement