Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice

• 06-05-2006 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

howya

my girlfriend and I are going to be moving home to her parents for about 5 months before we get married this year, and i need to sort out broadband for the new address.

as it stands i'm in town and on smart, and i love it, but we'll be moving to the cabra exchange, where smart aren't yet available, i assume this applies for magnet etc?

whats the best option, other than paying eircon €30 snots a month. need it to be as unobtrusive as possible, ie no changing phone number for her folks etc.

i am thinking ripwave, but so afraid of the horror stories!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

if you think of ripwave as an always on 2 x ISDN speed cheap (fixed price/flat rate) internet access solution you will be VERY happy with it. If you think of it as a wireless alternative to Smart then you will be very unhappy indeed.

Who ever you go with there may be a minimum period.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The original poster is only looking for a 5mth ish contract whereas NTL is for a minimum of 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

dub45 wrote:
    The original poster is only looking for a 5mth ish contract whereas NTL is for a minimum of 12 months.

wonder if they're moveable on this. they all appear to have 12 month contracts, or awful deals.....

the corpo wrote:
    wonder if they're moveable on this. they all appear to have 12 month contracts, or awful deals.....

I think most of the dsls now have six month contracts - UTV do have a departure charge though no matter how long you are with them - free calls in the evenings might impress the inlaws to be???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bobbysands

Hi,
    if anybody is contemplating on signing up with Irish broadband then they may need to think again.

Not a case of sour grapes but I’ve been continually burned by their incorrect billing, lack of service and their customer service which is impossible to get through to.
    Lack of wireless service even though I'm still being billed for their ripwave service.
    Attempting to get through to their customer service department to explain my case - Left on hold for 45 minutes several times. Felt like a bit of an ejeet so had to hang up seeing that the call was not a free phone number.

Oh and when you give them a credit card number to sign up according to the credit card company once you give them authority on your account you cannot remove.
    I'm pretty much screwed by them and if I can will definitely be avoiding them like the plague.

Don't say you haven't been warned!

Yours truly
    Still a Dialup user.

i think we're going to go with NTL, nothing else seems really viable.

coupla questions.

1. how long from application does it take to get set up?
    2. have an aolynk wireless router, from smart, should that be reasonably easy to set up?
    3. are they strict about going over cap?
    4. anyone makin' tea?

the corpo wrote:
    i think we're going to go with NTL, nothing else seems really viable.

coupla questions.

1. how long from application does it take to get set up?
    2. have an aolynk wireless router, from smart, should that be reasonably easy to set up?
    3. are they strict about going over cap?
    4. anyone makin' tea?

Am virtually certain that the Aolynk will be useless with NTL:(

ok, bah.

got a recommendation for a router or what wireless options there are?

Advertisement