Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution to eircom dropping speed

• 06-05-2006 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

After the upgrade my eircom line kept dropping speed from 3mb to 0.5mb.
    After months of ringing eircom tech support, an engineer come to check my line, dropping my speed down to 2mb and trying a new modem.
    I finally figured out that i needed to put a dsl filter on every phone jack thats in use around the house, and for the last week the speed hasn't dropped once. :)
    Hope this helps anyone with the same problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Whats this thread about?

I dont want to be rude but those filters were provided for a reason in the first place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

tq wrote:
    After months of ringing eircom tech support, an engineer come to check my line, dropping my speed down to 2mb and trying a new modem.
    I finally figured out that i needed to put a dsl filter on every phone jack thats in use around the house, and for the last week the speed hasn't dropped once. :)
    So you finally read the setup manual.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

tq wrote:

what about jack,s that are not being used do u need 1 on them 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

lol, whats this white thing for? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hay guys, you won't believe this, my car was broken right, I was giving out spades to the car manufacturer and the dealership staff for weeks.

Turns out that it worked perfectly after I put this "key" thing into it! Who'd have thought?! Spread the word guyz emot-pseudo.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The filters only affect phone calls if you dont have them on you should just hear buzzing on the line but your bb modem wont care cause they dont do any filtering on the bb side, its more likly youve a dodgy phone somewhere and the filter is stopping it putting feedback on the line. The engineer should have just tried the modem on his laptop from the first phone socket (assuming they still have laptops ) and that would have been easy to figure out and then he could have told you its one of your phones or the internal wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

tq wrote:

Eircom only give one filter with each bb package. I reckon most people (including me) would put this filter at the point where the phone line splits to the router - rather than at each phone point as the OP states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sparky-s wrote:
    lol, whats this white thing for? :)
    Snorting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Kristok wrote:
    The filters only affect phone calls if you dont have them on you should just hear buzzing on the line but your bb modem wont care cause they dont do any filtering on the bb side, its more likly youve a dodgy phone somewhere and the filter is stopping it putting feedback on the line. The engineer should have just tried the modem on his laptop from the first phone socket (assuming they still have laptops ) and that would have been easy to figure out and then he could have told you its one of your phones or the internal wiring.
    The lack of filters also affect the modem. The connection will drop everytime the phone rings. The phones could also cause noise on the line and the line attenuation will rise. This will also cause disconnects or syncing at a lower speed.
    crosstownk wrote:
    Eircom only give one filter with each bb package. I reckon most people (including me) would put this filter at the point where the phone line splits to the router - rather than at each phone point as the OP states.
    The supply 3 filters. 1 double & 2 single.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kaizersoze wrote:
    The lack of filters also affect the modem. The connection will drop everytime the phone rings. The phones could also cause noise on the line and the line attenuation will rise. This will also cause disconnects or syncing at a lower speed..

Totally agree, you need filters on any phones, fax or sky digi box's...not having one can cause all sorts of issues ranging from disconnections, phone not working right, dsl not working right, neither not working right, noise on your phone etc

People just don't seem to get the importance of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i have the same problem on eircoms 2 megs line but i get the 2.3MB speeeds at about 3-4ish in the morning

Line Attenuation
    17/10 dB<----was in stalling bb in my cousins house and his was 6/9dB would this be the problem? or is it contention ratio?

thank gods im moving bt irelands(been with em before and liked the service)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kaizersoze wrote:

The supply 3 filters. 1 double & 2 single.
    Don't remember seeing any single filters - gonna have to root out the box it came in. Thats what happens when I just 'glance' through instructions:rolleyes:

Advertisement