Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springsteen booing

Options
  • 06-05-2006 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Heard on the radio this morning that Springsteen was booed at his concert last night .
    Can anyone shed some light on it because it seems hard to believe with his reputation for live shows that he did'nt give value for money .
    The only thing I could think of was maybe he was playing all stuff from his new album and not much of the old stuff and some people obviously did'nt like that .
    It would be interesting to hear from anyone who was at the concert and what they thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

meldrew wrote:
    Heard on the radio this morning that Springsteen was booed at his concert last night .
    Can anyone shed some light on it because it seems hard to believe with his reputation for live shows that he did'nt give value for money .
    The only thing I could think of was maybe he was playing all stuff from his new album and not much of the old stuff and some people obviously did'nt like that .
    It would be interesting to hear from anyone who was at the concert and what they thought

He only played new stuff, that in mind it was an amazing gig, and since people knew he wouldnt be playing old stuff everybody was very happy.

there was no one booing - as at every Springsteen concert people shout BRUUUUCE, which sounds like booing but is most definitely not.

it went down a storm and the reviews have benn excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Bruce never gets booed, it's obviously the thousands of "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce" chants that people who wouldn't know much about him, would percieve as boos. The reviews were great on Backstreets.com, I just wish I had a chance to have been there myself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

I thought that myself alright , it was just Martin King on the radio saying he was getting texts off people saying there was booing at the concert

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hehe, I first heard this on a live version of Streets of Philadelphia and got suspiscious... but it was a great version, of a great song, by a great artist. I thought there may have been something going on with security or a fan. Then last year at the point it was going on again. Now I knew it wasn't booing, why would you go to a gig just to boo;) I was at the gig on Friday too (brilliant!!) and there was plenty of bruuuucing going on. Hehe, I recorded last years gig and you can hear some chap sitting behind me saying "why is everyone booing?"

Anyway, here is a sample of the booing from Fridays show:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Didn't really hear anything major there cormie...although I did hear someone from waterford shouting "come on brucie boy" at around 30 seconds. Good lad Mossy.

• Advertisement

it's mainly at the start. Just imagine that done by a few hundred more people and it would sound like major booing;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It's a bit of a stupid way to shout bruce though....what's wrong with "bruce-bruce-bruce-bruce" ass opposed to a Bruuuuuuuuse win a conspicuos monotone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Call_me_al wrote:
    He only played new stuff
    No he didnt, he played "open all night", "johnny 99", "My city of ruins", "You can look (but you better not touch)", "Adam Raised a Cain" with the new stuff. Besides the new album is excellent. Was an absolutely amazing concert.

People calling out "BRUUUUUCE" has been going on for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a bit like Ruuuuuuuuuuuud! At Old Trafford :)

Mike.

Remember he played in the RDS about 2 years ago? I never got to go, but were the E street with him back then? Would have been great! That took a while to sell out didn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Bruce never gets booed, it's obviously the thousands of "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce" chants that people who wouldn't know much about him, would percieve as boos. The reviews were great on Backstreets.com, I just wish I had a chance to have been there myself :(

I was saying "boo-urns"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

yeah, was there and it sure sounded like booing alright. was about half way back, thought sound was very poor, as in not very loud :( and no, i dont wear a dodgy hearing aid !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

magconn wrote: »
    yeah, was there and it sure sounded like booing alright. was about half way back, thought sound was very poor, as in not very loud :( and no, i dont wear a dodgy hearing aid !!!!

You remember this from 3 years ago???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dude! That was three years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

:Ddidnt make it this year.....depressing.....but was in rds last year ands at seeger sessions 2yr ago i think in the point. admittedly the bruuuuuuuuuce chant sounds suspiciously like booing, but they must not be confused. either way, chuck norris is a huge fan of the boss, and we all know what he'd tdo to a boo-er!!!!!!!!!!

BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

magconn wrote: »
    I cannot understand how people could stick being more than a third back in the crowd - could you even see the band?

Didnt they usually have the stage sideways rather than length ways on the pitch?

oops, never checked date, just assumed it was sunday nights concert :( ..anyway same applies!

axer wrote: »
    I cannot understand how people could stick being more than a third back in the crowd - could you even see the band?

Didnt they usually have the stage sideways rather than length ways on the pitch?
    i could see but not great, if i moved further back there was actually a better view but bad volume, and its a personal preference where a person positions themselves, i think the bigger the fan, the closer to the ya wanna get!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was at it last year and this year and last year a spanish couple beside me was asking why the crowd were booing him and I had to explain to them that people were shouting "Bruuuce". It's an affection thing I think, Bruce knows they are shouting Bruce.

I got yellow route tickets and was so pissed off they didn't give out bands to get into the pit. I'm a big fan and was in the pit last year and was hoping to get right to the front this year but no, got stuck at the barriers behind the pit coz they didn't bother coming around to the front with bands.

mars bar wrote: »
    I was at it last year and this year and last year a spanish couple beside me was asking why the crowd were booing him and I had to explain to them that people were shouting "Bruuuce". It's an affection thing I think, Bruce knows they are shouting Bruce.

I got yellow route tickets and was so pissed off they didn't give out bands to get into the pit. I'm a big fan and was in the pit last year and was hoping to get right to the front this year but no, got stuck at the barriers behind the pit coz they didn't bother coming around to the front with bands.
    do yellow route tickets mean you get into the pit if you are at the front barrier early enough or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

There was no passes handed out in any of the standard queues, the pit queue was a designated queue in the Simmonscourt car park, regardless of what route you were on. I was qeueing from 10am on the Sunday and was still number 609 in line, over 600 had been queueing even earlier, some even having started queueing at the end of the Saturday night gig.

niallon wrote: »
    There was no passes handed out in any of the standard queues, the pit queue was a designated queue in the Simmonscourt car park, regardless of what route you were on. I was qeueing from 10am on the Sunday and was still number 609 in line, over 600 had been queueing even earlier, some even having started queueing at the end of the Saturday night gig.

Really? I must have picked up on it wrong so. It was different last year, I just queued up in my route and got in to the pit. SOme people were getting into the pit at 7 o clock last year.

Seems the word got out from last year and a lot more people were fighting for the pit this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

ah it was a pretty good gig.

ha reminds me of "boooerns".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Really? I must have picked up on it wrong so. It was different last year, I just queued up in my route and got in to the pit. SOme people were getting into the pit at 7 o clock last year.

Seems the word got out from last year and a lot more people were fighting for the pit this year...

Yeah, I was the same last year. Walked in as normal at about six and realised I was in the pit! This year seemed to have a lot of obsessed fans travelling from other countries and so the scramble for the pit was far more elevated. I only knew about the queueing system thanks to the thread in Gigs/Live Events here on Boards, otherwise I would've been completely oblivious!

I suppose with it being the weekend and during the summer rather than in May and weekday (if you went to the Thursday one last year), it was going to be bigger this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I still say those obsessive fans make it a very uneven playing field, and it means its the same people front row every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

He only played new stuff, that in mind it was an amazing gig, and since people knew he wouldnt be playing old stuff everybody was very happy.

there was no one booing - as at every Springsteen concert people shout BRUUUUCE, which sounds like booing but is most definitely not.

it went down a storm and the reviews have benn excellent.

Sorry but this is rubbish.

On Saturday he played 'For You', 'Johnny 99', 'Out on the Street', 'You can look', 'Ghost of Tom Joad', 'The River'...I could go on.

OT, In all fairness, why would you pay 80 odd euros to Springsteen and end up booing? Real, real fans wouldn't.

In my opinion I bet they were saying 'Bruuuuuuuce'

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

When Bruce appeared on the Daily Show back in March, Jon Stewart asked him if he pretended to hear 'Bruce' when people are booing him to which Bruce replied 'Yes, I Do'.

I think this is the link (although it doesn't appear to want to work for me):
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-19-2009/bruce-springsteen---interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce

Advertisement