Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about FFX

Options
  • 06-05-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

I guess there might be some potential spoiler in this so...
    I was wondering what the plot in FFX is with regards Tidus going to Spira at the start of the game. Since hes in dream Zanarkand, would that mean that rather than being brought 1000 years into the future, hes actually simply being brought from dream Zanarkand to the Spiran mainland? because wasnt dream Zanarkand made by Yevon and the Fayth out in the middle of the ocean or somewhere where nobody would ever find it (and hence Sin destroyed technology and prevented large cities from forming and growing so people wouldnt be able to ever find dream Zanarkand), whereas the real Zanarkand was part of the Spiran mainland and destroyed by Bevelle 1000 years earlier?

OK, basically my question is; does Tidus get brought 1000 years into the future by Sin, or is he simply being brought from his Zanarkand to the mainland of Spira and doesnt go through time at all? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I cant figure it out. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you finished the game?

Basically
    Tidus is brought back 1000 years later by the dreams of the Fayth. It's the same world he was in only in the future. I don't know what this stuff about dream Zanarkand is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Yeah I bet the game, I kind of got confused about this though.
    Wasnt the Zanarkand Tidus was from, and all the people living there including Tidus himself, a dream of the Fayth? And wernt the Fayth the survivors of the original Zanarkand that was destroyed by Bevelle, so in order to preserve Zanarkand they recreated it from there memories. Lol, this is kind of difficult to articualte. I thought that Tidus and the Zanarkand he was from was only a dream, created by the Fayth as a replica of the original Zanarkand? Am I way off the mark here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be more inclined to say it was the other way around.
    The Zanarkand Tidus was originally from was the real Zanarkand and the new one was the dream. However I don't agree with either Zanarkand being a dream. The biggest point against this would be that it would have all disappeared along with Tidus at the end. The Fayth are the original survivors of Zanarkand. I believe that somethings in Spira may be formed by the dreams of the fath to preserve humanity but not that the world was entirely a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I remember things in the game that seem to imply that Tidus and his Zanarkand and everyone there were dreams. Like, when Tidus is having a flashback about Jecht when he was a child, that little person wearing the purple hooded robe representing the Fayth is there; and again in another flashback when Auron goes to speak to Tidus to tell him it was his fault his team lost or something, the Fayth person is there. And at Mount Gagazet when Tidus becomes unconcious after touching the statues of the Fayth he reappears in his Zanarkand and the Fayth then tell him that its all just a dream and that he and Jecht are both just dreams, and that theyve been dreaming and keeping that Zanarkand and its inhabitants in existence for 1000 years, I think. And at the end of the game in the ending movie, a bunch of bubbles appear with pictures of people inside of them (including Tidus) and I presume those represent all of the people that the Fayth had been dreaming into existence, but were now about the disappear because the dream was over.

And there was this piece I read on Wiki aswel
    As the party approaches Zanarkand, another disquieting fact is revealed: neither Tidus nor Jecht are ordinary human beings. They and the Zanarkand they hail from are "dreams," or summoned entities, the same as the aeons.[12] Their city, Dream Zanarkand, was created one thousand years earlier, around the time of the original Zanarkand's destruction. At the time, a war led to Yevon, Zanarkand's ruler, taking a desperate measure to preserve his city's memory.[13] He had his city's surviving people become fayth, statues that provide a summoner with the means to summon, so that he could use their memories of Zanarkand to create a new city in its image, far removed from the warfare on the Spiran mainland. Thus, Yevon was able to save the memory of his city, even if he could not save the city itself.

Additionally, Sin was created at this time, given form by none other than Yevon himself.[14][15] His intention was that the creature would protect him and the fayth while he summoned Dream Zanarkand, and that it would also prevent anyone on the mainland from discovering the summoned city. While the creature performed this duty, Yevon, for his part, would become known as "Yu Yevon" ("the Curse of Yevon") and lose his own humanity, reduced to a disembodied spirit that existed with only the desire to maintain Dream Zanarkand's existence.[16] Over the next one thousand years, Sin would constantly terrorize Spira's people, leaving destruction and heartache in its wake.

Tidus and his companions also learn that the Final Aeon is created from the spirit of one to whom a summoner is personally close. When Sin is defeated, Yu Yevon's spirit then possesses the Final Aeon that defeated it, transforming it into a new Sin. It was for this reason that Jecht became Sin. With the hypocrisy of the Yevon order revealed, Yuna and her guardians defy claims that Sin can never be destroyed, engaging Sin in battle directly, and without the use of a Final Aeon. After successfully penetrating their way into the creature's interior, they free Jecht's imprisoned spirit and fight a subsequently weakened Yu Yevon. By finally destroying him, the party succeeds in bringing an end to the cycle of Sin's rebirth, allowing the fayth of Spira to rest after a thousand years. Dream Zanarkand then vanishes, taking — much to Yuna's grief — Tidus with it.

Advertisement