Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup chewing furniture

Options
  • 06-05-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

We have a Yorkshire terrier pup 10 weeks old.
    She is chewing the legs off the chairs. I was told to rub Eucalyptus Oil onto them but it does'nt deter her. Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does she do it while you're there? ...then just tell her "NO" a good few times and she will cop on.

If ,on the other hand, she does it while you're not there, then you're probably leaving her alone for too long. 10 week old pups are just babies and shouldn't be left alone at all, really. You never know what dangerous and/or unhealthy things she might chew next.

Make sure she's got a toy to chew on. Not plastic or soft rubber (she might swallow bits of that) but hard rubber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

if she is 10 weeks old she shouldnt be unwatched long enough to do any damage. Thats like leaving a baby on its own.

As said, make sure she has plenty of other things to chew on, poor thing, her gums are probably very sore.
    Anyways, for a dog that small, best thing to be putting on your chair legs might be rubbing the skin off an orange or a lemon well in. They tend not to be too keen and prefere their chew-toy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

I had the same problem with my Ruby when she was a pup. I went through a playstation control, the back off the sofa, 3 dog beds, 2 lamps and lots of other stuff.

It wasn't until I tried anti-chew did it stop. Anti chew is a bitter tasting spray that dogs hate the taste of. Now I know some dogs the taste doesn't bother - guess it just depends on your dog. I sprayed it on EVERYTHING !! Only thing is, you have to keep respraying every couple of days.

I recommend kongs for when they are on their own - you stuff them with treats of paste and they will sit away for hours chewing and licking them. The kongs are virtually indestructible, so you don't have to worry about your dog eating them too....;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww bless, teething. As the Fuz said kongs are brilliant and you can get puppy kongs which are a good 1st kong for little 'uns. Anytime the pup is chewing something you dont want them to give a firm 'no' and then hand them one of their toys, baby gates can help contain pup in one area but it's easier to say no and give a toy than it is to confine the pup because they only end up whining their heads off if they are apart from you.

I wonder if there is a doggy version of bonjela out there:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Thanks for the replys - Where can I get theses producs like Kongs and anti-chew?

• Advertisement

You can get them in most pet shops now, but www.pet-bliss.com have them as well plus other fun stuff for dogs, I had to stop looking at their dog toy section too many cute things lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Before my puppy came to the house we covered all the table legs and chair legs etc with bubblewrap and cardboard... Not exactly the most stylish but it worked! No marks on your furniture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe your puppy has new teeth coming in or something. I dont know if these "anti-chew" sprays or what not works, with some and not others I suppose. What you could try if you have time is spray the puppy from a water bottle when you see her at the legs of the table. Get some chew toys, something that you and her can tug or pull with each other.

Just thought, some owners give their pups lumps of ice to chew, handy for outside or on a washable floor esp. on a day like today. You could make puppy pops just freeze milk or stock (could add some dog food to it too) in those plastic ice pop moulds.

Please don't play tug while she still has her puppy teeth or is teething.
    The puppy teeth aren't very strong and playing tug could move them in their sockets, possibly leading to deformed "proper" teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wasnt suggested that you pull so hard as to hurt the puppy or destroy his teeth now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi there,

ics treats sound nice but the ice can actually damage the enamel (sp?) of the teeth. Also, quite a few of the toy breeds can suffer from lactose intolerance so be careful with milky treats until you are sure that she is ok with it. Chewing stuff and mouthing at that age is very common and is usually due to teething. Hard rubber toys to chew on are great for the little mite. At 10 weeks she is old enough for gentle training. Establish eye contact when she is caught in the act and tell her Nooooo. Then ignore her, if she starts again, repeat. The key is in the repetition. Try to distract her from the furniture by offering her the toys in a playful manner (rolling, throwing etc). You can't expect an instant cure but she will eventually get the hang of it. Praise her when she plays with the toys.

Sarah

Ruu wrote:
    I wasnt suggested that you pull so hard as to hurt the puppy or destroy his teeth now :)
    Yeah ...it might well be your intention to play softly-softly.
    It's the pup that usually has other ideas :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Just dont ever get anti-chew on your hands, or the spray near your mouth. (Memories- SHUDDER!)
    When that happened I decided never to use it again, god, took me days to not feel like I was tasting the damed stuff in *everything*

:)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 therocks

Anti - Chew (Johnson's make)can be got in any pet store, small little deodorant type canister .. fantastic ..quick, easy and an essential thing to have ....
    ICE aswell is very good .... they love it and with those two you should be sorted.

Advertisement