Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Account Number when changing your BT package!

• 06-05-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm reaching meltdown here . Contacted BT back in January to change the Broadband package I was on from the Plus to the normal one (was able to check the exact date as posted at length about it here at the time). They rang me back and asked for my Eircom account number, then said it wasn't valid. I explained I was with UTV talk now and didn't have a number . I assumed all was well (how naive am I) but realised today that my monthly charge hasn't been reduced. When I rang them the reason given was the change hasn't been made was because they were waiting for my Eircom account number as the one I gave wasn't valid. Anyway .. rang Eircom and they told me that I don't have an eircom number as I'm not an eircom customer but that I should have been asked for my Universal Account Number which I could get from UTV. Can't get through to UTV at the moment so am a bit stuck.

I've wasted so much time on this. Surely this sort of stuff should be seamless to the customer or as a bare minumum they should get the terminology right. I also feel like I've been given the run around.

Has anyone else come across this problem when looking to make changes to Broadband accounts? Sorry for the rant but I'm so frustrated with the whole thing.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lizzyd66 wrote:
    I'm reaching meltdown here . Contacted BT back in January to change the Broadband package I was on from the Plus to the normal one (was able to check the exact date as posted at length about it here at the time). They rang me back and asked for my Eircom account number, then said it wasn't valid. I explained I was with UTV talk now and didn't have a number . I assumed all was well (how naive am I) but realised today that my monthly charge hasn't been reduced. When I rang them the reason given was the change hasn't been made was because they were waiting for my Eircom account number as the one I gave wasn't valid. Anyway .. rang Eircom and they told me that I don't have an eircom number as I'm not an eircom customer but that I should have been asked for my Universal Account Number which I could get from UTV. Can't get through to UTV at the moment so am a bit stuck.

I've wasted so much time on this. Surely this sort of stuff should be seamless to the customer or as a bare minumum they should get the terminology right. I also feel like I've been given the run around.

Has anyone else come across this problem when looking to make changes to Broadband accounts? Sorry for the rant but I'm so frustrated with the whole thing.

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

Funny thing this, I've been having awful problems with BT upgrading me, downgrading me and multiple accounts for 8 months now.

Never did they need a UAN for these f##k ups, yet when I wanted to actually downgrade from their FREE upgrade, they couldnt because my UAN was invalid ! ! asswipes....

I've said it before, the reason they dont give a ****e is for this exact reason...

Mobile companies must provide goos cust service because we can change providers in minutes..

I've had savage problems with BT, but I cant afford the down time and hassle associated with changing as with The OP.

Mores the pity...

NH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Yes. When I moved to NTL and wanted to cancel my phone line, BT replied to my cancellation letter saying I'd provided an invalid UAN. You'd think they'd have it but no. My UAN had been changed (what's the logic in that??? - I thought a UAN was something you kept as you moved between providers. Which is why it was called a UNIVERSAL account number).

BT told me to phone Eircom for my UAN. Eircom told me they weren't allowed give out that information :rolleyes: Eventually talked the Eircom girl into giving me my UAN. Hope I didn't get her into trouble - she sounded nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Well I spent roughly all afternoon on hold for 1) BT then 2) Eircom (shortest wait) then (for hours) 3) UTV Talk. When I got through to UTV asked for my Universal number , he said would need to provide them with cancellation notice in writing he couldn't just give it to me, I then explained why I wanted it and he said Oh it's XXXXXXXX. Then rang back BT and they were closed ( just after 4pm) - grrrrrrrrrrh!!! Hopefully will get it sorted on Monday. Anyone like to lay odds on my chances of getting my change back dated until January when I first requested it??

Advertisement