Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE sinks to a new low - leprechauns

• 06-05-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This is from Gerweck.net:
    Dave Meltzer reports that the WWE has signed a midget known as Shortstack to be a leprechaun sidekick to Fit Finlay.

And from ProWrestling.com:
    Several reports have confirmed that World Wrestling Entertainment has signed midget wrestler Nick Postl, better known as Shortstack. Shortstack, a veteran of NWA Wisconsin, currently works using the gimmick of "The World's Sexiest Midget", and is believed to be given a Leprechaun gimmick to work as a sidekick to Fit Finlay.

This is an outrage, especially since Finlay has been one of the best newcomers to the WWE in a long time.

So much for the McMahons being proud of their Irish roots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Oh dear.....Finlay is grand as he is, a tough s.o.b., but adding leprechaun sidekicks will turn him into a joke. Next thing he'll be recording a Christams single with the Boogeyman, a cover of "especially for you"......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

It's a joke. Hopefully it's a ploy so Finlay can just beat him up later on. It might have worked and been funny had Palmer Cannon hired him to make Finlay more 'marketable' leading to some skits or something but as it stands i cant take this seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Boo trust WWE to screw things up when it was going fine! Finlay will know be known as a joke and wont be taken seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ohhhh lovely a leprechaun in the wwe, this should be sooo much fun:rolleyes: cant see how this could possibly go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I heard about this earlier, its another fine reason to watch TNA instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I heard about this earlier, its another fine reason to watch TNA instead.

Someone better start watching them or more to the point buying their ppvs.

I had an argument/discussion with a guy whose not into wrestling about Finlay and the way he's portrayed. He'll have plenty to throw at me if he shows up with a leprechaun as his sidekick. Theres just no need. Let Finlay wrestle every week. Thats all you have to do with him.

Someone better start watching them or more to the point buying their ppvs.

I had an argument/discussion with a guy whose not into wrestling about Finlay and the way he's portrayed. He'll have plenty to throw at me if he shows up with a leprechaun as his sidekick. Theres just no need. Let Finlay wrestle every week. Thats all you have to do with him.

Exactly! A Finlay/Benoit fued would be huge,but I guess a Leprechaun is much better. WWE is really going downhill, hopefully they will let the ECW go without Vince McMahon sticking his oar in and ruining it. WWE is become a kiddies show more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

While this does make finlay (and ireland to some extent) look like a joke, it may produce some funny and entertaining tv, particularly if Finlay is against the idea. I wouldnt go shooting this down just yet - remember, everyone thought Burchill as a pirate wouldnt work (and it has) and everyone said the boogyman was a stupid idea that noone would like (and most came to like the gimmick in the end).

Finlay will still be wrestling every week - instead of cheating with a shillaly (clearly, i spelt that wrong), he'll now have a leprechan to help him cheat. Plus, the Americans will love the whole Leprechan thing!:D

While this does make finlay (and ireland to some extent) look like a joke, it may produce some funny and entertaining tv, particularly if Finlay is against the idea. I wouldnt go shooting this down just yet - remember, everyone thought Burchill as a pirate wouldnt work (and it has) and everyone said the boogyman was a stupid idea that noone would like (and most came to like the gimmick in the end).

Finlay will still be wrestling every week - instead of cheating with a shillaly (clearly, i spelt that wrong), he'll now have a leprechan to help him cheat. Plus, the Americans will love the whole Leprechan thing!:D

Yeah but I think Smackdown has enough comic characters without adding Finlay to the list. Finaly is not a comic character. He's a tough tough man who fans see as a badass. He does n't need a midget.

If he kills him after two weeks I'll be okay with it.

Give Boogeyman a midget a by all means. Super Porky and Boogeyman could have been fun in a really weird sort of way. But Finlay is not that type of entertainment. He's a wrestler.

The pirate has done nothing for me either even with Regal being really entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldnt go shooting this down just yet - remember, everyone thought Burchill as a pirate wouldnt work (and it has) and everyone said the boogyman was a stupid idea that noone would like (and most came to like the gimmick in the end).

Yeah Burchill's really tearing things up on Velocity and Boogeyman was more over than The Rock in 2000 - not. Both of those gimmicks were flops in my eyes.

I can't believe you'd find that appealing. Finlay has been an excellent addition to the roster and has had consistently great matches whilst portraying his tough guy persona yet you are excited about him having a midget sidekick?

He doesn't need to be a comedy act. They have plenty of people who can fill those kinds of roles.

This will be demeaning to Irish people, demeaning to Finlay and demeaning to the poor chap who will have to play the role. It's a joke in my view and personally this may be what turns me off of WWE for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

First of all its hardly a new low for WWE, i think having sex with corpses, god in a tag team match, devouring worms and eating scabs off faces is a lot worse than a guy coming in wearing a leprachaun suit. While i think this is a ridiculous idea for a guy who has been one of the big positives on smackdown last couple of months, it's hardly the worst thing WWE has done. I'm not so sure Finlay has been over with the crowds at events as much as people who enjoy proper wrestling matches have enjoyed him, while i think the people have liked him as a heel to an extent, he has no contact really with the crowd, never speaks on the mic etc, i think this is essential to build a good heel. Hopefully this wont last long, and Finlay can develop the character a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cookie dough 61

Finlay (my 'God') puts on a wrestling masterclass with Chris Benoit, qualifies for the next KOTR round and this is his reward...!?!?

As stated above, the only positive I can think of for this would be character development. Like Shelton's Momma... it sucked but got him victories and valuable TV time and actually got the poor guy a crowd reaction. The crowd were DEAD during Finlays match with Benoit.... maybe a small green guy running round the ring will get reactions.... but who knows?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

appealing to the lowest common denominator here. you need to remember that most of the americans watching wwe programming are thick as pig****. they will buy into that gimmick.
    still, it's a shame that a wrestler with finlay's abilities is being reduced to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

WWE knows americans will buy crap like leprechans and boogeymen so that's why they use those kinds of gimmicks. I did notice that the crowd couldn't care less during the best match on smackdown in the last six months so if this is going to get some reaction, then WWE are going to do it. Kinda a shame though, i doubt Finlay would get much charisma from it but it will go over well with the kids but isn't that whats truly important? :p

Stalfos wrote:
    . I did notice that the crowd couldn't care less during the best match on smackdown in the last six months :p

I thought they cared.

I can't believe you'd find that appealing. Finlay has been an excellent addition to the roster and has had consistently great matches whilst portraying his tough guy persona yet you are excited about him having a midget sidekick?

He doesn't need to be a comedy act. They have plenty of people who can fill those kinds of roles.

This will be demeaning to Irish people, demeaning to Finlay and demeaning to the poor chap who will have to play the role. It's a joke in my view and personally this may be what turns me off of WWE for good.

I never said i was excited about a midget sidekick (stop doing that man!) - i jsut dont see why theres such a big problem about it. Its the same as giving Finlay a manager - heels should cheat to win matches (basic physcology of wrestling!).

While its making fun of Irish people, its hardly demeaning - ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself dude!

Apparently Finlay is quite keen on this idea and Vince sure loves it!
    The following is from Shortstack's My Space page: It hasn't quite hit me yet...So, for those of you who didn't hear about it at all, Monday night I flew down to Cincinatti for Smackdown on Tuesday. They called me up and said that they wanted me to get an outfit/costume and we would go from there (practice promos, pre-tapes, pictures, etc.). I'm not going to go into everything like I have with others, but if you want to know just ask me and I'll tell ya. I get to the arena on Tuesday, eat quick, and immediately am called a "fatty" by Paul London. Anyways the day goes on, a bunch of us talk about a certain indy worker that people who don't even know him, know of him and don't like him, so that was fun. Then the good part...Fit (Finlay) comes up to me and tell me to put my costume on, we are going to meet with Vince, and then do pictures. So I get dressed and we go into Vince's office. The first thing he says to me is "Wow, we definitely need you on board with us." My heart just dropped. Now I was told I could get signed earlier in the day, but now this is coming from the boss himself, so I knew it was a for sure thing. Then he asks me "So are you opposed to cutting your hair?" I think my heart sank more on this question, than the previous. So sadly, I have to get rid of the long, golden locks of mine, and get a hair cut like Finlay's. Damn its going to be short. So in the end, I'm going to be signing on with WWE next week officially. They are going to have a contract ready for me and we'll go from there. As I said before, it hasn't hit me quite yet, but I'm sure it will soon. Thanks to all who have supported me once again!

to b honest the wwe hasnt sunk that low where bringing in a leprechaun is concerned, they already went low in my book when they booked "God":rolleyes: sooo to be honest bringing a leprechaun in wont be that bad, athough it make us (ireland) look like a joke, but finley has done fairly well up to now.... i guess i'm willing to give this a chance.... bah:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

i agree with the sunbabe, give it a chance.
    i can where the wwe are coming from on this. if i were vince i would see it as a way to make more money, tee-shirts with leprechauns, teddies, keyrings and loads moe stuff. money, tills ringing.
    also its entertainment. i admit it, i watch wwe to be entertained and for the laugh. edge dressing up as rick flair having a road rage fit, the spirit squad giving shawn a may19th shirt to wear, the rock throwing stone cold over a bridge and loads more outside the ring entertainment, its good stuff, good tv, i love it.
    i reckon this leprechaun gimmick will work. bring it on i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There are not enoguh midgets in WWE if you ask me!

I never said i was excited about a midget sidekick (stop doing that man!) - i jsut dont see why theres such a big problem about it.

If you don't see the problem then read most of the comments on this thread. Finlay doesn't need to be a circus act.
    Its the same as giving Finlay a manager - heels should cheat to win matches (basic physcology of wrestling!).

Then give him a manager but it doesn't need to be a bloody leprechaun. :rolleyes:
    While its making fun of Irish people, its hardly demeaning - ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself dude!

You don't see anything demeaning in the WWE looking at an Irish guy and deciding to give him a leprechaun? Maybe you like these retarded stereotypes but I don't.
    Apparently Finlay is quite keen on this idea and Vince sure loves it!

Vince seems like he's losing his mind of late and Finlay isn't going to cross the boss is he?

I can't believe some people are giving this offensive tripe the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

You don't see anything demeaning in the WWE looking at an Irish guy and deciding to give him a leprechaun? Maybe you like these retarded stereotypes but I don't.

Its no different than Umaga being portrayed as an uncivilised crazy samoan lunatic or Regal being portrayed as a pompous British idiot - i could go on and on. Wrestling has traditionally portrayed over the top characters to make it more interesting.

I think this should be given the benefit of the doubt - comedy spots most definitely have their place in wrestling - and i can see this being funny (for a while at least.

Also, offensive and controversial = viewers!

Too right, the Americans will love it. Even if totally stupid to us :)

I think the point is being missed a little bit. I'm not big into stereotyes but lets leave the whole Irish thing out of it.

Fit Finlay is the last person on Smackdown to need a midget. He's over as a mean, tough bad ass who likes to fight. Thats his gimmick.

Remember his mini feud with Lashley and that segment where they did the whole brawl pull appart thing. The crowd went nuts because the crowd saw both men as tough, no nonsense credible wrestlers who could legitimately hurt the other.

Theres enough circus acts on Smackdown. Just let Fit Finlay be Fit Finlay.

Controversey does not necessarily mean more viewers. Necrophilia did not add ppv buys. Mohammad Hassan did nothing for the company. Sergeant Slaughter becoming an Iraqi general damaged the company aswell.

Adding a leprechaun to Finlay will not bring in any viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bring back the Attitude era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Really stupid idea. But it could end up ok in some way. I'd trust Finlay to be able to get whatever gimmick he's given over. And seeing as he didn't seem to like midgets in the past, maybe he won't get on with this guy. Have to see it first, but it sounds stupid

WWE has a reputation for this sort of stuff. Practically any non-American is portrayed in a stereotypical way. I don't understand why so many people seem surprised at this. It's what WWE seems to pride itself on

The crowd were DEAD during Finlays match with Benoit

It's funny, I read a report of SD and it said the fans were chanting "boring" during it. I found it hard to believe they'd be boring. I didn't see SD, but I turned on Experience earlier today, saw the last few minutes of the match, and I can't remember the last time I've heard a crowd so loud during Benoit's German suplexes. They were goin crazy! Huge reaction, Cole was big into it aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I watched the whole match and the crowd weren't into it at all. They were happy to see it finish and that's about it. The boring chant was edited i except but it's a shame to see that fans can't appreciate real wrestling nowadays. It's no wonder WWE are bringing in crap wrestlers that look impressive and silly gimmicks to boost ratings because they can't even put on one proper match without the crowd being bored.

I thought the crowd were into it. It was a slow build and by the end of it the crowd loved it.

Someone explain to me how briniging in stupid gimmicks brings in more viewers.

Smackdown has gone on a stupid gimmick rampage for a while now and their rating is getting lower and lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

At first this pissed me off, but I guess I have to give it the benefit of the doubt, for some reason headcheese comes to mind (steve blackman and al snow tagging that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

First of all this gimmick with the leprachaun is doomed to fail - why? because nowaday most wrestling fans want believable gimmicks. Just look at the gimmicks that have failed - Umanga, Boogeyman, Birchill the Pirate, etc.

People want realistic wrestlers, not the next fairy to pop out of a story book.

Also you have Finley, who has gotten over by being as realistic as possible and injecting some real life brutality into his matches and yet he is getting joined up with a midget - can anyone say Doink and Dink - a classic gimmick (Doink) that was runined by midget association - harsh but very true.

Finley doesnt need a sidekick, especially one that will be ridiculed like Dink was - an unncessary add on to what is potentially a good gimmick.

I just wonder - is this a McMahon brainwave - or did Finley piss on someone's shoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

WWE is aimed mainly at american audiences, and wrestling is mainly watched by people with low IQs. So why is it surprising that they use a gimmick like this?

FX Meister wrote:
    WWE is aimed mainly at american audiences, and wrestling is mainly watched by people with low IQs. So why is it surprising that they use a gimmick like this?

That's us told.

But anyway, remember that Mick Foley would'nt have been so over without a silly gimmick.

Cactus Col wrote:
    That's us told.

But anyway, remember that Mick Foley would'nt have been so over without a silly gimmick.

What silly gimmick?

Socko, he says it in his biography, that it was the introduction of socko that got foley more over then he had ever been.

The same can be said for Al Snow with Head, and I'm sure there's more than a couple of other examples.

I think Mick Foley was well over before the sock. But maybe it did give him that bit extra. It did allow him to coast a little bit when his body was breaking down though.

www.wrestlecrap.com for the hundreads of other bad gimmicks that did n't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

If you want to get Finley a reaction have him win the US title. Or better yet have him win the US title, dump it in the trash and bring back the European title.

I'd prefer to see that than a midget running around Smackdown in a green suit.

• Advertisement

wonder will he have a goofy over the top irish accent.:rolleyes: knowing the folks in america they'd go bloody mad, they love the irish accent.... and the more over the top it is, the better.... oh god....

wonder will he have a goofy over the top irish accent.:rolleyes: knowing the folks in america they'd go bloody mad, they love the irish accent.... and the more over the top it is, the better.... oh god....

No doubt it'll be awful "top o' the mornin to ya" and so forth :rolleyes:

dlofnep wrote:
    There are not enoguh midgets in WWE if you ask me!

What? One of them is World Heavyweight Champion, if anything, theres too many midgets.

Cactus Col wrote:
    That's us told.

But he still sucks ass. He took a couple of big bumps. Big deal. He is a total asshole though. Ask anyone that's worked with him in the past few years.

FX Meister wrote:
    But he still sucks ass. He took a couple of big bumps. Big deal. He is a total asshole though. Ask anyone that's worked with him in the past few years.

and to think I supported your just say no to chuck norris campaign.

Anyway, I'm not too bothered if he is or isn't an asshole, the same way I've never been too bothered about triple h and his supposed back stage manipulation, I'll judge by the merits on screen.

Just remember we all feared the worst when Finlay was coming back, but look how well that turned out. Until the "leprechaun" actually debuts on tv with Finlay, we've no idea whether it'll be a good gimmick or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I mentioned Leprechaun the minute I heard of an Irish character.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054868334

It's typical WWE to stereotype people. I'm all for it, ah sure it'll be a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

FX Meister wrote:

ask anyone - ok like who? whom should we ask? and how do you know for a fact that he is an asshole?

I've worked with the douche bag and I've spoken to a few people that have also worked with him. He goes back on agreements that he makes, demands full payment for appearances in cash up front and within five mins of actual appearance despite his contract saying otherwise and he is completely ignorant.

FX Meister wrote:
    I've worked with the douche bag and I've spoken to a few people that have also worked with him. He goes back on agreements that he makes, demands full payment for appearances in cash up front and within five mins of actual appearance despite his contract saying otherwise and he is completely ignorant.

Wow, very specific. I'll never be able to watch Mankind v Shawn Michaels at Mind Games ever again the same way. Note the sarcasm.

From 411 mania
    In other Johnny Ace news, the rumor is that he was the one that came up with the idea of Finlay having a leprechaun sidekick. Ace had been against Finlay coming back to active wrestling ever since the idea was first discussed. Finlay went to Vince McMahon to get the deal done, and Ace still said it wouldn't work…until it actually did work and Finlay became one of the best heels on the WWE roster. Then Ace came up with this ridiculous idea, took it to Vince, and the rest is history. One wonders what he'll come up with if the leprechaun actually gets Finlay more over with the fans.

What? One of them is World Heavyweight Champion, if anything, theres too many midgets.

lol.
    In other Johnny Ace news, the rumor is that he was the one that came up with the idea of Finlay having a leprechaun sidekick. Ace had been against Finlay coming back to active wrestling ever since the idea was first discussed. Finlay went to Vince McMahon to get the deal done, and Ace still said it wouldn't work…until it actually did work and Finlay became one of the best heels on the WWE roster. Then Ace came up with this ridiculous idea, took it to Vince, and the rest is history. One wonders what he'll come up with if the leprechaun actually gets Finlay more over with the fans.

From what ive heard about this Johnny Ace lad, he seems to be hell bent on damaing WWE by letting personal issues affect his business decisions - seems like quite the ass clown!

Ah, for ****s sake. If that is the case, then I'd say Finlay will want to do everything he can to get this leprechaun over. I'd love if Ace decided to return. A lot of guys would probably like to get him in the ring

I read recently that Ace wouldn't let Animal off a few dates so he could see his son play football. His son is supposed to be very good apparently. And it's not like Animal is a big part of SD. But Ace wouldn't even give his own brother some time off! That might be going too hard on him though, apparently he got him the job in the first place

The above inforamtion if correct destorys the theory that Finlay is happy with this decision. He's merely going along with it...

I wouldn't say he's "merely going along with it". Like I said, I'm sure he's going to do his best to get it over with the fans

Fozzy wrote:
    I wouldn't say he's "merely going along with it". Like I said, I'm sure he's going to do his best to get it over with the fans

I'm sure he will but come on, he'll be aware that Ace is trying to bury him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement