Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cover a birdcage?

Options
  • 06-05-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Is it okay to put a cover over a bird cage? I've seen it in lots of films and have been told that it keeps them quiet. Is this common practise and humane?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

It's ok to cover a birdcage at night, it ensures that the birds aren't disturbed by outside lights etc. When removing the cover be careful to ensure the birds aren't holding onto it first! I wouldn't make a habit of covering during the day though, your interfering with the birds ability to feed and effectively placing it in an isolation chambrer:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Also make sure you leave the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the cage bars uncovered, otherwise the air gets very stale very quick, specially if you have food lying around and only use a very light airy cloth. No wooly blankets ;)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah no problem covering over the cage at night, keep the bird from squawking and getting too excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's no need to cover a bird cage really, unless you have a room that gets very bright in the morning but the light tends to go through some material anyway, I find a blackout blind on the window effective.
    If you don't mind the singing in the morning then no point in covering them up, in fact sometimes it's best to have a very subtle light on if they are prone to night frights but if there are a lot of lights eg cars passing the window at night and they shine in then a cover might suit.

Birds need 12 hours ish of daylight a day so covers should only be used at night time and taken off in the morning, they are noisy but you get used to them birds sing that's what they do ..well in some cases squak their little heads off but you get used to it...eventually lol

Advertisement