Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leave Car Running

Options
  • 06-05-2006 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Just curious, if you're waiting for somebody (say 5 or 10 minutes) do you turn your engine off or just leave it running? Usually I leave it running, being under the impression that turning it off and on would do more damage, am I right or wrong in thinking this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on the car. It's usually a good idea to leave it running for about 30 seconds after any length of driving.

Turbocharged cars should be run on idle for a longer period, particularly performance cars as the shafts on most turbochargers generate lots of heat. the engine should be run on idle to take heat out of the turbocharger.

That's what turbo timers are for. often fitted to Japanese metal, this leaves the engine running for a pre set time after the key is taken out of the ignition.

Can't see what harm leaving the engine on will do, although tree huggers will point out that you're melting the ice caps by leaving it on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you're going to be waiting 5-10 minutes then you should definitely switch it off.

Unless you're afraid that the battery won't have enough juice to start the car if you switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

colm_mcm wrote:
    depends on the car. It's usually a good idea to leave it running for about 30 seconds after any length of driving.
    Didn't know this, but usually do it already while I'm picking up keys/phones/wallet etc before turning it off and getting out. :)

Advertisement