Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant loss

Options
  • 06-05-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Regulars on here will know I bought a car about a month ago, anyway when I buy a new motor I always keep an eye on oil levels, coolant etc. Anyway checked the car about a month after buying and coolant was a bit below so filled it up just above it, that was about 2-3 weeks ago and have done around 1k miles on it, checked it this evening and again it was right on the min. It had gone down a bit but still something to worry about so rang the dealer on his mobile(6 in evening on a Sat but f**k him) and told him this. Said he would get to talk to the mechanic on Monday and arrange a time to drop it in. Just said to keep the coolant above the min, was about to say Daaa down the phone but said better not and keep him on good side.

So was wondering could this be a major thing or just a small leak somewhere? anyone have any experience of this?

Oh yeah asked for garage car and he said he would know if he could on Monday, going to insist on one but no point till monday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Impossible to say till someone has a good look. It could be anything from a loose jubilee clip to a cracked engine block :eek: It could also be a weeping water pump or something.

Is it under warranty? If so then let the garage worry about it. If not then i'd be having a poke around myself to try and diagnose it.

PS have a look at the recent thread by crosstownk regarding mysterious coolant loss on a VAG TDi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BrianD3 wrote:
    Impossible to say till someone has a good look. It could be anything from a loose jubilee clip to a cracked engine block :eek: It could also be a weeping water pump or something.

Is it under warranty? If so then let the garage worry about it. If not then i'd be having a poke around myself to try and diagnose it.

PS have a look at the recent thread by crosstownk regarding mysterious coolant loss on a VAG TDi

Under warrenty so garage problem just not in the mood to lose the car for a few weeks,

Will have a look now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Nelly, I think you are entitled to a replacement, as long as the work being done is under warranty?

Hope its nothing more than a loose hose connection in the coolant system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Obviously look out for wetness in the engine bay and on the ground under the car. Also, if coolant leaks onto something and then evaoprates it may leave a white residue behind so look for this too.

When looking for evidence of a leak pay particular attention to all the hoses, rad, water pump area, thermostat housing and coolant reservoir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BrianD3 wrote:
    Obviously look out for wetness in the engine bay and on the ground under the car. Also, if coolant leaks onto something and then evaoprates it may leave a white residue behind so look for this too.

When looking for evidence of a leak pay particular attention to all the hoses, rad, water pump area, thermostat housing and coolant reservoir.

Checked around already and nothing obvious, also because the leak is so small never left anything on the street under car, I always check for this because its a first sign of an oil leak most time, lucky I keep an eye on things, bro said he never checks his coolant levels

• Advertisement
Advertisement