Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Irish Bank IT Shambles

Options
  • 06-05-2006 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Since Dankse Bank changed IT systems in NIB in April you cannot get a cheque book, you cannot access telephone banking and I have had all sorts of problems getting access to Internet BAnking because I use Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer. When you ring someone at the bank they haven't a clue. Andrew Healy CEO was on the radio battering on about how great the bank is going to be. Listen up Andrew - I will be leaving NIB in one week's time if I cannot get to use basic banking services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,573 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Timing of this post is rather apt.
    My girlfriend decided to get a mortgage with them (NIB) a while ago as they had the cheapest rates at the time (and may still have).
    Well-the amount of time it took them to get their asses in gear was unbelievable.
    After about three weeks of them getting back to her and not accepting printed out bank statements and her expecting them to move on it- she rang them on a Monday (bearing in mind that 3 weeks had already been spent dealing with various other issues with them)
    They had he application in full but was told that there IT systems were down for the next week and they would not be able process her application until at least the middle of the next week.
    That was the straw that broke the camels back-she went to TSB who had the lot sorted much much faster (they did make one cock up but that should be resolved this week-much faster than the whole process of dealing with NIB)
    I am sure that they have many happy customers too but in this case they lost a decent mortgage customer-not that they would care anyway because of the amount of mortgages out there.
    Its good to see now why the IT systems were down but I think to be completly out of action for over a week was a bit much.
    Kippy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bank of Ireland business banking does not work in Firefox either, Bank of Ireland home banking does but its pathetic .

AIB is pretty functional in all browsers and they have this funky feature for free too if you are a cc customer of theirs see http://www.aib.ie/transactonline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I've had no difficulty with telephone banking since the changeover. The Firefox issue is a bit of an inconvenience. I switch back to IE when I need to check my NIB account. I might get round to ordering their security device which is required when using Firefox if I get a chance.

I was very pissed that their payment transfer system omitted the credit card number when I was making a payment to Amex - unlike the old system where the reference number was tied into the payee details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

Im having terrible problems at the moment. I always pay my Credit Card bill online and when they changed their systems they took out the most important reference field and now 1,000 of my money has gone missing and still no sign of it. absolute shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

lads just use the IE extension in firefox. 1 click and firefox automatically changes to IE, allowing nib's banking to work :)

havn't had any problems myself regarding on-line banking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 4aces

Yeh NIB are getting worse. Ever since Danske bank took over, they dont care about the old customers, they only want to deal with new customers.

I ordered an ActivCard back in April. It took 2 MONTHS to arrive! After several emails and 4 phone calls, I managed to get them to send it out. Turns out the guy who was in charge of sending it out, had left the company (probably fired for incompetence!) and I had to deal with some old one who kept saying, this IT system is very difficult to get use to. Do they not give training to staff in Danske????

Another problem was when I ordered foreign currency. Gave them two weeks notice. I went to NIB on Dame Street to collect it the day before my holiday and was greeted with - "Oh we forgot to order it"! I couldnt believe this! I asked what can I do? They said sorry but tough luck. Thankfully Thomas Cook actually live in the real world, so I got my money there.

This bank has truely gone downhill. I only stick with them cos of free-banking & I do all my banking online (which means no dealing with stupid morons). I'd be tempted to move to TSB but not sure if their Internet banking is any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

darkbeatz wrote:
    Im having terrible problems at the moment. I always pay my Credit Card bill online and when they changed their systems they took out the most important reference field and now 1,000 of my money has gone missing and still no sign of it. absolute shambles
    Same happened me and it was the credit card company who eventually found the money, not NIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

RainyDay wrote:
    Same happened me and it was the credit card company who eventually found the money, not NIB.
    I did the same thing but the money came back after 2 days by itself

MrP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Bank of Ireland business banking does not work in Firefox either, Bank of Ireland home banking does but its pathetic .
    Requires the MS JVM that MS can't actually supply any more, because of the spat with Sun. How long ago was that ffs?

They're talking about upgrading their online systems, but they've been wittering on about that for years.

I though NIB had a spanking new online system that was getting great praise?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i have an nib credit card and current account. when they introduced the new online banking system they obviously switched the credit card to a new account no.
    looking at the online accounts it looks like i have two credit card accounts the old and new one.
    the old one has no amount in it but states that the full credit limit is available.
    the new one has the current balance.
    anyone else notice this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

No problems with my accounts but I am noticing a few things:

1. 3 weeks of laser transactions being lodeged on one day in May (read it in the SB Post two weeks after) but at least they credited me the referral fee
    2. VERY VERY slow times in lodging laser transactions - seems to take nearly a week in many cases, while others appear immediately
    3. Some ATM transactions also slow to appear

The thing I'm finding is that I cannot rely on the online or phone balance to manage my account which beats the whole point of having it. Also I had the same experience with ordering foreign currency. But I think the problem was simply the twit at the branch who deals with it.

On the plus side:

1. Much faster transfers to/from credit cards and other NIB accounts
    2. better information detail on individual transactions
    3. more info on regular transfers
    4. pdf statements

And if you do switch to any of the new packages, the 9.5-10.2 rates on credit cards are excellent, its a pity they didn't switch existing customers to the 10.2 standard rate but then again other banks do exactly the same thing when they change their credit card packages.

I wouldn't be totally negative about NIB, but from my experience I think that peopleware is still a bit of an issue with NIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 giddings

Hi,

Do any NIB customers out there happen to know the local Dublin access number for telephone banking? I'm overseas so can't get in to 1850 200400. I know you can dial in by using 01 484 xxxx -- but I don't remember what the x's are...

Thanks in advance

--brian

Advertisement