Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Read This Please***

Options
  • 06-05-2006 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Right, basically folks the level of spam on this forum lately is ridiculous.
    I'm not trying to censor people or anything like that but the forum has become increasingly difficult to read through.

We are coming up to the end of the year now and we will have a lot of Leaving Cert boardsies, who may be considering UCD, checking out the forum and to be honest I can imagine it would be slightly off-putting. There are a lot of in-jokes and chit-chat between friends on the forum and while I think it's great that people here get on in real life (myself and seb were probably the most persistant in the beers that helped that along afterall), I do think that it's a little unfair for new people and also for the regulars of the forum - many of which have commented on the fact that almost every thread lately wanders off-topic very quickly and degenerates into conversations and jokes between friends that would be better suited to PM.

I appreciate that everyone here is a tad stressed with the impending exams and they like to have the forum as a distraction and a bit of fun. We have a designated spam thread here
    and I think we would all benefit if people would use this for the majority of the conversations/spam thats been going on, instead of dragging threads off topic. I know we've all done it at some point or other but lately things have been a bit much.

I have mentioned this a lot on the forum lately and to be honest guys, trying to read through the forum has been really difficult. If it continues to this extent and threads are constantly dragged off-topic I will hand out bans.
    This wouldn't be tolerated on any other forum and this one will be no different. Comparisons to the Cuckoo's Nest aren't exactly flattering.

Anyway, I hope every takes this on board.

Cheers,

Steph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It was a matter of time......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Whatever you.........NAZI......

EDIT: sorry i have a bit of a problem with taking things seriously and tend to take the píss, duely noted tho!

*jumps onto shelf wraps up in muslin and begins to mature like a 10 yr old block of cheese*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

And as if to prove my point...:rolleyes:

Lads can we just take this one a little bit seriously?

Mature comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

I will ban anyone that spams this thread from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's a pitty it's not possible to create a sub-forum where spammy threads could be put instead of melding them into one unintelligible super-spam thread, but I suppose that's what they deserve!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That would be TCN, humbert. Else the recycle bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Good point:rolleyes:

Exactly...thats what the Cuckoo's Nest is there for.

I merged them because I'm sick of logging on to find spammy threads with posts consisting of just "rofl" "lol" "*huggle* etc etc and then having to check my Inbox to find people complaining about the level of crap here despite the fact that I have told people to lay off already.

I try to read as much of the forum as I can, so that I can be as fair as possible when shít does happen (and because I like to procrastinate), but these days its not easy to wade through the chit-chat and in-jokes.

Anyway, more suggestions/comments much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Give me a banning stick and I will whack some on-topicness into the offending boardsies.

Just say the word and.... *WHACK!*

Can't believe you hav to put up with this sh*t when you have finals in less than 3 days. It's not on.

SebtheBum wrote:
    Give me a banning stick and I will whack some on-topicness into the offending boardsies.

Just say the word and.... *WHACK!*

Can't believe you hav to put up with this sh*t when you have finals in less than 3 days. It's not on.

Tbh it's not on any time. It wouldn't be tolerated on any other board and I don't see why people get so annoyed when they're moderated here. :rolleyes:

Like I said, from now on no more crap. I will ban those who continue to go off topic. Lately that has been everyone so consider this your warning.

Posting off-topic will get you banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I think this is fair.

I second that.

I found it very difficult off lately to read this forum. Many people seem to know each other in real life and many threads developed into an online chat about anything and nothing with too many insider jokes.

I hope peachypants' warning will increase the quality or readability of postings in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thirded.
    Too much spam is a pain in the arse to read.

Forgot to say...I've left the "Love in UCD" and the "Confessions" thread purely because they are too long to merge into the Spam thread.

However, if there are any more threads that go as far off-topic as those have, I will merge them with the Spam thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

yeah sorry about one or two off topic posts I may have made :D got a bit carried away . Good buzz with the sticky Peachy . Ill be on good behaviour from now on..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yeah too much spam's a pain in the ass i suppose.

also, what's the deal with whether a thread's locked or deleted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Thanks for that, I'd kind of stop visiting there because it was getting hard to read any thread knowing you'd have to wade through so much spam.

Red Alert wrote:
    also, what's the deal with whether a thread's locked or deleted?

Well generally if a thread is way way way off topic it gets locked.

If a thread has been posted already (as in recently) or if it contains posts that could potentially get boards.ie in trouble, it is usually deleted.

ah right, i was just wondering because it's just annoying when you go looking for the thread again to read it at leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thank God, this place was getting unreal.
    Wow, you've made some friends. Thats great, we're so happy for you but take it off the forum.
    I know people who post here, that doesn't mean I clog the forum up with completely random blabber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

okay i havent really been around lately, (so you cant blame me for spamming then haha) but... on this topic, sometimes the spam is way more fun and interesting to read than the original topics, im sure if you go through some of the threads on here its clear that a lot of them only ever get good when someone takes hold of a point and wanders off with it, and everyone folllows him laughing and joking like the pied piper of Hamlin, as it were.

Anyways, sometimes the rubbish we talk about is what makes this place so great. I for one would hate to see this place turn into some DCU-style autocracy board, laden with square solemnity and funereal on-topicness (hey, its a word)

Just a suggestion. Although of course nobody wants a TCN style board for UCD, we are way more sophisticated than that.

Quickly shuffles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah it's fun for some people, but not for others, I think that's the point. Anyway the spam thread is there, so you can spam away all you want.

Try Carlow IT or Limerick - they've got more locked threads per page even than we do.

The change in power here will be like Milton Obote giving way to Idi Amin Dada in Uganda.... be afraid!

Red Alert wrote:
    Try Carlow IT or Limerick - they've got more locked threads per page even than we do.

We have very few locked threads.
    Red Alert wrote:
    The change in power here will be like Milton Obote giving way to Idi Amin Dada in Uganda.... be afraid!

It won't be like that at all. I appreciate that people like a bit of banter (don't we all) but like Blowfish said, its not so fun for everyone. It's not exactly nice to read when you have no idea whats going on.

Asking people to tone it down isn't unreasonable in the slightest.

okay i havent really been around lately, (so you cant blame me for spamming then haha) but... on this topic, sometimes the spam is way more fun and interesting to read than the original topics, im sure if you go through some of the threads on here its clear that a lot of them only ever get good when someone takes hold of a point and wanders off with it, and everyone folllows him laughing and joking like the pied piper of Hamlin, as it were.

Anyways, sometimes the rubbish we talk about is what makes this place so great. I for one would hate to see this place turn into some DCU-style autocracy board, laden with square solemnity and funereal on-topicness (hey, its a word)

Just a suggestion. Although of course nobody wants a TCN style board for UCD, we are way more sophisticated than that.

Quickly shuffles away.

I disagree. A lot of the spam on this place has been head-wrecking. Those of us who don't know people personally can't understand all these in-jokes.

Things like:

"Ha! You would say that. We all know about you and scary animals."

"Ah now don't go into that incident about the scary animal last weekend."

Yes, please don't. We don't have a clue what you're on about.

The strength of this forum is that it's open to a diverse crowd. Not just UCDers but folks from Trinity and beyond pop in. It shouldn't be effectively turned into a giant clique with meandering spammy nonsense.

No but there's a stage when the mod-spammer fighting makes the rest of the threads very hard to read. We'll see after the next beers too exactly how it all settles down - i never remember more newbies at one time than now.

It happenned a few years ago on a music board I used to moderate. The spam only stopped when I got tough and banned a few troublemakers for a month and then had it that I had to approve their posts for another 2 weeks.

Red Alert wrote:
    No but there's a stage when the mod-spammer fighting makes the rest of the threads very hard to read.

And equally when I do ban people I'm told I'm being too heavy handed, so forgive me for trying to keep the bans to a minimum. You have pretty much said yourself that you think the forum being like TCN isn't a bad thing.

Can't win tbh. Doesn't matter now anyway.

Adios UCD.

And equally when I do ban people I'm told I'm being too heavy handed, so forgive me for trying to keep the bans to a minimum. You have pretty much said yourself that you think the forum being like TCN isn't a bad thing.

Can't win tbh. Doesn't matter now anyway.

Adios UCD.

In the grand scheme of things it certainly doesn't matter. There's a big oul' world outside UCD, something a lot of us tend to forget, and I wish you well in it wherever it takes you.

In the grand scheme of things it certainly doesn't matter. There's a big oul' world outside UCD, something a lot of us tend to forget, and I wish you well in it wherever it takes you.

Same to yourself MNG.

Good luck to all of you in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Cheers for everything you did for all of us, Peachy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Waltons wrote:
    Cheers for everything you did for all of us, Peachy :D
    Yeah thanks Peachy you've been great:D We'll miss you [well at least I know I will]
    Please make sure to pop in now and again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement