Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB database problem - error

Options
  • 06-05-2006 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I get an error 3251 - "Operation is not suported by this type of object" when I run the following:
    Dim thesearch As String
    thesearch = "last name='" & txtLName.Text & "'"
    Data1.RecordsetType = 1
    If optSrchLastName.Value = True Then
    Data1.Recordset.FindFirst thesearch        'debugger finds prob with this line
    .....code

tried changing the recordsettype to 0 and 2 and it gives me the same error.
    searched google and google groups with no help.. some suggestions to change recordsettype which i have already done with no good result.

oh yeah., i created the database with vb6 ->addins->visual data manager->ms access version 7.0MDB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you actually defined Data1 in your programme and opened a connection to the database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

where is the code that produces the recordset from the query?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Some data sources are only forward-only - i.e. you can only move from one record forward to the next. Depends how you got the data in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

is_that_so wrote:
    where is the code that produces the recordset from the query?

Ehmm... I dunno..?
    I'm only new to VB, not really sure of all the terms etc.
    But I can view all the records in the table no bother, skip back and forth through them and edit them and all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Try this. Should point you in the right direction.

http://www.profsr.com/vb/vbless09.htm

Advertisement