Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you getting to the RDS?

Options
  • 06-05-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

So how are you all getting to the RDS for the exams? I'm thinking I'll get the bus but my mother wants me to get a taxi over just to be sure I make it in on time. :D

I still think I'll get the bus in from town though. There's one near the end of O'Connell Street, I think it's the no 3 but I'm not sure, and it leaves you really close to the RDS.

How are you guys getting there? Do many of you have a long journey to make?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Bus, 46a all the way.....although I plan on being there at about half 8...I like being early!

One exam in Blackrock, a nice walk down from Stillorgan!

The good old 18. Took an average of 1hr 40min at the Christmas exams, mainly due to traffic. This time I'll bring a game of Kerplunk with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

So how are you all getting to the RDS for the exams? I'm thinking I'll get the bus but my mother wants me to get a taxi over just to be sure I make it in on time. :D

I still think I'll get the bus in from town though. There's one near the end of O'Connell Street, I think it's the no 3 but I'm not sure, and it leaves you really close to the RDS.
    Got the bus the last 2 years but, what with these bein' finals and all-important and all that b0llocks, I reckon one of my parents will gimme a lift to most of the exams.

The buses I used to get were the 45 and/or the 7, IIRC.

Since I live in lucan, I reckon it'll take maybe an hour and 15 minutes to get to Ballsbridge. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I shall be driving, thank God.

Last year we had to take the 17 from Rathfarnham to college, get a 10 out to Donnybrook and walk on down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Train from Balbriggan into town, then a dart over to whatever dart station is closest to the RDS. Can't remember the name of it now (feel free to enlighten me). All in all it takes about an hour and 45 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone bringing in notes with them for last-minute study? Last year I printed a load of sheets off Wikipedia and read them on the bus in. I miss that sense of panic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

sandymount is prob the closest station. and dont get the no. 3 bus! i got it for two years when i first started college and it is a nightmare!!! its never on time and there are v few. plus it doesnt leave u near the RDS as far as i know! it goes by sydney parade.

i shall be driving. i swear if i hit major traffic i'll cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Anyone bringing in notes with them for last-minute study?
    Pffft... Dude... That's the only study I do.:o

Might grab the bus instead of a lift for some of the 2pm exams, but after missing a 9.30am History exam in first yr I'm loathe to trust public transport for such important events!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well most of my exams are in UCD.. so just the usual. I have one in the RDS that I'll be getting the 49 to town and either the 7 or the 45 out for. It'll take me about 1hr 20 minutes, and in keeping with my punctuality paranoia, I'll be at least an hour early for my exam, if not more.
    I'll have made out notes onto index cards that I'll be using on the mornings of the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

No 10 from UCD to the stop by the bus depot in Donnybrook and walk down Anglesea Rd from there. Was relatively quick in Winter. Should be good enough now.
    Anyone bringing in notes with them for last-minute study?

I have never seen anyone without notes for last-minute study!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I haven't decided if I will drive or get the DART to the RDS yet. I'm not sure I want to risk the traffic! Also, I can keep studying on the DART!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Ill be getting there via parachute. I like to travel in style. It's not great for reading you notes during the fall though. They blow all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To get from Deansgrange to the RDS on the 45 through Blackrock in morning rush I have to get the bus at 10 to 8 at the very latest, in order to make it with very little time to spare. I could get it at 7, but I'd just freak out. I almost missed an exam because I didn't get the bus until 8.10 last year. Considering how close it is, it's nonsense. Takes about 80 minutes.

MNG, get the 7 or 45 and get off opposite Bewleys, or get the 84 and get off between the RDS and the hotel, walk as far as the corner and keep left.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Blush_01 wrote:
    MNG, get the 7 or 45 and get off opposite Bewleys, or get the 84 and get off between the RDS and the hotel, walk as far as the corner and keep left.

Yeah my mate advised me to get the 7. I think that's the one I'll go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

46A then stroll down the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Don't forget there are roadworks along the Rock Road if your coming into the RDS from the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ooh, nice one, would have remembered they were there but not made allowances for them.

Maybe I should buy a bike and cycle. Although I'm really bad at cycling when there's a prospect of traffic... so on second thoughts!

Is anybody (other than Hermione*) lucky enough to be able to walk to the RDS from home, rather than drive or take public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'll be driving :) wohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

-get up at 6
    -breakfast and whatnot
    -drive into wicklow town
    -abandon car
    -catch 7 o clock bus
    -sleep/last minute revise
    -arrive at RDS at 8.20
    -hang around
    -begin exam at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i always cycle, i don't trust public transport.

anyone know where the rds shelbourne is? i always had exams in simmonscourt but i'm invigilating in shelbourne this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i too shall be getting up around 6. i have an exam in blckrock and will be coming from the northside. wud i b better off going by the dual carriageway and then turning off instead of going along the coast, in order to avoid all the roadworks????????

rain on wrote:
    i always cycle, i don't trust public transport.

anyone know where the rds shelbourne is? i always had exams in simmonscourt but i'm invigilating in shelbourne this year.

I am invigilating there too. They explained how to get there at the invigilators' meeting this week. But it's really not difficult:
    It's easiest to find if you get in at the Anglesea Rd Entrance. You actually cannot miss it because there are signs up everywhere.

A map of the RDS showgrounds is online.

EDIT: However, I think they said the invigilator sign in will be in the main hall. So that's Anglesea Rd Entrance in, second left (after that mini green), door is to your right. And then after signing in, you just walk through the main hall to get to the Shelbourne hall. But don't worry. Once you've found the sign in desk, you just follow the others. Just make sure you are on time. 8.30am it is for exams starting at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

meowCat wrote:
    I am invigilating there too. They explained how to get there at the invigilators' meeting this week. But it's really not difficult:
    It's easiest to find if you get in at the Anglesea Rd Entrance. You actually cannot miss it because there are signs up everywhere.

A map of the RDS showgrounds is online.
    ta very much. i figured it'd probably be hard to miss, but still. at the meeting they said 'you can get in through the simmonscourt road entrance or the anglesea road entrance or the rock road entrance' but they neglected to mention where it actually was. assuming you were at the same meeting as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I get up at dawn (which is about 5:10 judging by last night) hop in the shower. Head out and get breakfast and coffee in Ranelagh or anywhere thats open at that hour. Pull up to the RDS and study in my car for around 6 hours then go in and splurt it all back out

rain on wrote:
    ta very much. i figured it'd probably be hard to miss, but still. at the meeting they said 'you can get in through the simmonscourt road entrance or the anglesea road entrance or the rock road entrance' but they neglected to mention where it actually was. assuming you were at the same meeting as me.

Ah, true. They didn't give an actual map, which was a bit surprising, tbh. But I didn't really listen at that stage as I had worked there for the winter exams, too.

See you there, rain_on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

AH its that big hall where the trucker interview were being held over christmas? Will be taking the 7. Bit far to cycle (well its not but i like revising a lil on the bus). Must leave early tho with bloody roadworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Will be getting the DART from Pearse Station to Sandymount myself. Only live about 3 mins from the station so it couldn't be handier to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Blush_01 wrote:
    Is anybody (other than Hermione*) lucky enough to be able to walk to the RDS from home, rather than drive or take public transport?

I feel so special now!

I shall indeed be walking down the road, as I have most years (used to live in Sandymount;)).

Best bets from town are the 4(new service), 7 or 45. The 63 or 84 turn on Anglesea Rd iirc, but they're very infrequent anyway. Also the 46a of course, but the others bring you much closer. Sandymount Dart station is the a five minute walk from the horseshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sandymount, thats the one.

Dead handy to get the dart from town. Although it does mean that for early exams I need to be on a train from the 'Brig at 7am.

Bleurgh.

Can't wait til this is over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Ugh, poor you. :(

All going to plan though, I shall be leaving my gaff at about 8.15 to be in the horseshed before 9am. It's a tweny-five minute walk, I reckon, but I hate being late :( Plus, I'll probably walk a bit further up and get a HUGE coffee to keep me going til 12.30!

Advertisement