Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now that the EPL has ended

• 07-05-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

get all of your football fix from the Eircom League.

The EL has improved leaps and bounds in the last few years, you might just be surprized! besides what have you to loose?

The EL providing footbal to Ireland since 1472 (the year billyboy and vinnie arkins debuted ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Couldnt agree more, what better way to spend a summers evening than watching your local footie team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mchurl wrote:
    Couldnt agree more, what better way to spend a summers evening than watching your local footie team?

The world cup maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Stekelly wrote:
    The world cup maybe?

Exactly!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Especially if you're from where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mchurl wrote:

doing anything but that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Irish football sucks. and it always will until theres a proper structure for training kids and developing talent properly.

...hold on, i'll just take a couple of hundred quid out of the bank and smash the irish transfer record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Eircom League sucks, everyone knows English football is the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

el rabitos wrote:
    Irish football sucks. and it always will until theres a proper structure for training kids and developing talent properly.

...hold on, i'll just take a couple of hundred quid out of the bank and smash the irish transfer record.

Ya, thats funny.

Surely thats trolling, and this guy should be given a ban, as no doubt his post was done to try and get people to flame him out of it????

Silly thread blu. Its only going to start another stupid argument with people whos views on football must be given to them by Sky Sports. Pathetic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Eircom League may not be as decent as the EPL but there's no need to be so disparaging towards it. It is your own after all.

our own?

i'm not taking responsibility for that joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Have you ever been to an eL game troll?

Have you ever made an opinion for yourself on 'soccer'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Heading off to the Shamrock Rovers game in a minute.

Lovely day for a game.

Come on Ramblers.

^ Have you ever been to an eL game troll?

Have you ever made an opinion for yourself on 'soccer'?

troll? well, leprachaun. yes, yes i have, i live 10 minutes from dalymount park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

el rabitos wrote:
    troll? well, leprachaun. yes, yes i have, i live 10 minutes from dalymount park

Exactly why are you posting on this thread? Have you a point that may be conceived as somewhat intelligent?

Yes ireland does need a to trian kids better, as atm 90% of Irish pros in England have suffered from the lack of training :rolleyes:

kdjac

my point is, the irish league as it stands it just a glorified sunday league with delusions of grandior. its one thing to have a crap league, but in terms of producing players for the international side or just developing players and giving irish players a viable place to start their carreers the irish league is just awful.

for example the frech league is terrible, but its a farm league for the rest of europe, the best players are always picked out and ply their trade at some of the biggest clubs in europe.

how cool would it be to be able to go to dalymount and see young player that will be soon playing for europes big teams or representing ireland in major competitions, that would be something worth spending 25 quid on a ticket. as it stands the league is just irrelivant in terms of anything improving the international game

el rabitos wrote:
    how cool would it be to be able to go to dalymount and see young player that will be soon playing for europes big teams or representing ireland in major competitions, that would be something worth spending 25 quid on a ticket. as it stands the league is just irrelivant in terms of anything improving the international game

I spend a tenner watching Sean O Connor for Pats who will play at a higher level, last week i spent 4 quid watching a player for Rovers on the right wing who will play at a higher level (Joe Duffy), last season i spent a tenner watching Kevin Doyle and Wes Houlihan, one in PL now and the other about to be sold to Hearts. Last thursday i watched Pats U 16s with a player called Haverty who will also play for a higher level, in January a player called Michael Collins Jnr left our U16s to sign for LIVERPOOL (gonna guess with your intelligent point making you knew him and that he signed for LIVERPOOL).

I can see your point it makes total sense and you are very correct. All hail El Rabitos he knows his stuff.

kdjac

I can see your point it makes total sense and you are very correct. All hail El Rabitos he knows his stuff.

cheers dude, u have my permission to use that as ur sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Don't forget the likes of Stephen Bradley who turned down Fulham and Reading to stay with Drogheda, and Jason Gavin - who if the stories are to be believed - is on his way to the Premiership. Darren Quigley and Dicker, more players (at UCD :eek:) who will almost certainly move onto bigger things.

Some people just haven't a clue.

Stekelly wrote:
    The world cup maybe?
    Ah yes, for the 6 weeks or whatever its on for, with games getting further and further apart as it progresses. Yeah, sure Heaven's forbid you only get to watch one or t'other!

Einst&#252 wrote: »

Some people just haven't a clue.

Your right im sorry, its Jamie Duffy who plays on the right wing for Rovers, cracking player, also came tru Pats Schoolboys :o

kdjac

rofl :)

• Advertisement

whats not to have a clue about? :rolleyes: congratulations on sitting through a few eircom league games, your badge that makes ur opinion more valid is winging its way towards u in the post.

and i dont know why the hell kdjac is telling me how much he spent to see tom dick or harry. my point is i'd pay more money to go see eircom league matches if the quality of football was better. theres alot more that can be done with an irish league, theres alot of talent in the country, that doesnt need to be going to england at 15 or 16 to get proper training. better investment in our own training vacilities would be money well spent.

Thats what Staunton is planning on AFAIK, he can lose every game for the national team for all I care if he does that right.

You talk about paying €25 for a game, that alone shows how little you obviously know about the league here. It's nowhere near that.

And you do, as you say it would be nice to do, see players who will go onto better things. Hell, 12 months ago many of us were watching Kevin Doyle, now fully capped. There will be more to come. Will Weso suddenly be regarded as a better player when he goes to Hearts? He hasn't changed much in 6 months I'll bet, but people wil start raving about him and how he should be playing for Ireland etc.

el rabitos wrote:

and i dont know why the hell kdjac is telling me how much he spent to see tom dick or harry. my point is i'd pay more money to go see eircom league matches if the quality of football was better..

As it was lower than what you said to see players you didnt know existed. Why pay more its only a tenner a game?

Weso in that Daily Record as being watched by hearts, do Shesl get money if he gets sold on? Funny **** if Cork got Hearts in CL Qualifiers :D

kdjac

As it was lower than what you said to see players you didnt know existed. Why pay more its only a tenner a game?

i think ur missing my point man. i'm saying it would be worth paying more to see eircom league matches if the quality was better, my cousin plays for the bohs youth team and i only live 10 minutes from dalymount, i'm aware of how much eircom league matches are.

my point is there needs to be major investment in the developmental stage of irish football, which in turn will only help the eircom league, but will ultimatly help the international team. weather or not theres enough brain power amongst the monkeys working in the fai to figure out how to go about this i dont know.

ireland recruit english players for the international team, but i'd rather see a few top academys around ireland and ireland recruiting english coaches.

Even if people pumped millions into over here you'd have the same corwds forming opinions without ever seeing games or anything to be able to build an opinion on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hopefully I'll get to a few more games. But it won't be because the PL has ended, it'll be because since the summer is here I should be working full-time, which means no more late friday nights, thankfully.
    But this thread kinda does invite another PL vs EL arguement, as you can see.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think the thread is right though. Now that the EPL is over, football fans should try get to some EL games. Strangely enough most of the people that bash the EL have gone to very few games and dont have the knowledge on the league to have a proper opinion. None of my mates will go and watch a game because they say the standard is crap but how they considering they dont go to games is beyond me.

People should make an effort to go to a few games and then after those few games they dont like the league then fair enough. Not ever going though and calling the league crap is just stupid imo

Kingp35 wrote:
    I think the thread is right though. Now that the EPL is over, football fans should try get to some EL games. Strangely enough most of the people that bash the EL have gone to very few games and dont have the knowledge on the league to have a proper opinion. None of my mates will go and watch a game because they say the standard is crap but how they considering they dont go to games is beyond me.

People should make an effort to go to a few games and then after those few games they dont like the league then fair enough. Not ever going though and calling the league crap is just stupid imo

You assuming these people go to their own teams games?

/Seriously if Jamie Duffy or Sean O Connor in your area worth a tenner to see them play.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

The point of this isn't an EL/EPL flame war, thats been done neither party will give way the thread is why not go have a look at an EL game you may enjoy it and its something nice to do (maybe with the kids) on a friday evening.

The weather was great for our game today, it was a nice time and a nice way to pass 2 or so hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I must check out where Limerick FC are. I would love to see the Eircom League become a better one.

Advertisement