Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25 a month for phone and broadband .. start speculating

Options
  • 07-05-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TECHNOLOGY-qqqs=themarket-qqqid=14022-qqqx=1.asp

Voice service with free calls to landlines and broadband and possibly free install. all for €25. Speculate!!!
    However, it is the imminent launch of an all-in broadband and phone line package for under €25 per month, with no line rental charge, that looks set to be the tipping point for the rest of the industry over the coming months.

The deal, to be offered over the coming weeks by a significant broadband provider, will be widely available and will include free calls to any Irish landline, as well as a broadband connection.

Over the summer, most operators are expected to cut back or abolish installation fees and download caps, as competition heats up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

good stuff:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good stuff if you don't have to spend a month porting over from your current provider. Unless it is your current provider. It won't be UTV. They have given up on product innovation.

Mike.

it may well be utv actually. I'm sure they know they are losing a lot of customers. They used to be the best, now they are nowhere near the best. People in the know go with the best which is why people went with them in the first place, perhaps it's competition time again for UTV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TalkTalk !

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

damien.m wrote:
    http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TECHNOLOGY-qqqs=themarket-qqqid=14022-qqqx=1.asp

Voice service with free calls to landlines and broadband and possibly free install. all for €25. Speculate!!!

Digiweb anyone, as i heard some roumers in the industry that they are looking to buy the smaller wireless / wired operators ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I have a feeling it might be Talktalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Shyboy wrote:
    I have a feeling it might be Talktalk.
    Could be

I'm about to send over an authorisation form for BT. Ok so I know it's BT who haven't the best reputation, but they have good value, anyway, do you reckon this could compete or is it likely to be a timed BB service and the free calls wont be anytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

At a guess I'm going to say it won't be a crappy timed product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Carphone Warehouse in UK essentially doing this. = TalkTalk/Tele2 here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Chorus/ntl

<€25 therefore not a eircom wholesale product
    widely available therefore not LLU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SeaSide wrote:
    Chorus/ntl

<€25 therefore not a eircom wholesale product
    widely available therefore not LLU
    Doubt it. The article said a "significant broadband provider".:p

*Awaits flaming from bk*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

kaizersoze wrote:

*Awaits flaming from bk*

Lol. I heard BK got NTL4 EVER tatooed across his knuckles.

it _could_ be Chorus/NTL once they are rebranded under their 'joint' identity. It _could_ be Digiweb with the Metro expansion plan they announced months back , Metro 20 .

I very much doubt it will be UTV. I still reckon its talk talk or maybe its imagine but with LOTS of T&C's attached like signing up for 36 months :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dizzywizzard

Eircom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eircoms whole business model is based on line rentals!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's not an ADSL service provider. Not even the LLU guys could do it at that price I don't think.

My money is on NTL. They've been trialling VoIP for about three years now and that's usually the time it takes for them to go from bs to product.

if it is NTL, at the moment, I can't get their BB package, do you reckon this will be the case with the new product even though it says it will be widely available?

Chorus/NTL AKA UPC is not what I would call Widely available. NTL/Chorus could have had the whole cable system Digital TV + Phone + Broadband over six years ago it they had had the money to spend and the vision

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kaizersoze wrote:
    *Awaits flaming from bk*
    damien.m wrote:
    Lol. I heard BK got NTL4 EVER tatooed across his knuckles.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dizzywizzard

watty wrote:
    Chorus/NTL AKA UPC is not what I would call Widely available. NTL/Chorus could have had the whole cable system Digital TV + Phone + Broadband over six years ago it they had had the money to spend and the vision

Didn't NTL have a phone service that they withdrew because it was going on fire or threating to do so? Or am I thinking of somat else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That's right, although many will say they just wanted an excuse to get out of the voice market at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They had a voice service, yes. The same technology is (or was) used by UPC in all their various networks and by AT&T's cable properties in the US. It's not VoIP, it uses dedicated channels on the cable. I guess a problem with the technology was that it was a different box from the cable modem so people ended up with three units in their homes. In Ireland it was only available in Tallaght and Coolock from what I recall.

Perhaps a thing going against the NTL theory is that it would have been described as triple-play if they were launching it, as they would obviously want to push the TV angle as well.

My other theory would be Irish Broadband. They have a pretty decent footprint, much greater than NTL's for sure. They have been dabbling with VoIP too. I would not want to speculate what the voice quality would be like on their network. Having actually used VoIP on IBB's network in a couple of locations I could do more than speculate, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

While the unofficially proposed price reductions coming this summer are to be welcomed, it must be remembered that they serve to further the margin squeeze on wholesale LLU pricing.

When the technical issues behind LLU are eventually sorted out, the margin squeeze argument from OLO's might provide eircom with another stalling tactic to delay the proper rollout of LLU (inc bitstream migration).

Viking

This also will increasing be the problem as price drops:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/08/unlimited_broadband_ads_dishonest/

The second major problem is that some ISPs will go to the wall and leave users esp. Businesess stranded.

There are no free lunches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Sounds magic, would it be SMART :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

dingding wrote:
    Hmm, I hope so! :)

Is it possible that this 25eur dealy is just for new subscribers and for a limited period?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dingding wrote:
    I think the "widely available" bit would rule out Smart.
    My guess would be BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

unless BT are going to enter the market with an residential LLU offering wouldnt bet on it.

• Advertisement

SeaSide wrote:
    unless BT are going to enter the market with an residential LLU offering wouldnt bet on it.

Again :eek: :eek: , remember the first time they did it , I heard they provisioned 30 people in all of Ireland ??????

Nahhh they couldn't ....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :( . they could !

Advertisement