Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25 a month for phone and broadband .. start speculating

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ABC

damien.m wrote:
    http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=TECHNOLOGY-qqqs=themarket-qqqid=14022-qqqx=1.asp

Voice service with free calls to landlines and broadband and possibly free install. all for €25. Speculate!!!

Hello Folks,

The article stated that the provider will supply to ANY phone line.
    Is the 'any' phone line a line that is already broadband enabled by
    (curse here) Eircom or will the mystery provider be upgrading lines
    independently of (curse here) Eircom.

Jim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No

It could indicate a 3 month BB for offer for new customers from eircom wholesale now I think of it, only eircom wholesale can provision 'any' line. The exchange must be upgraded too.

there is evidence eircom are serious (ish) about fixing lines at the moment but mainly if you complain to Pat Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It _could_ be Digiweb with the Metro expansion plan they announced months back , Metro 20 .

And the winner is Sponge Bob!
    And it is even below the € 20 mark.
    See the new Digiweb product launched today!

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hmmm, would have liked to see free local and national calls with that. It's great and if I was living on my own I'd definitely get it, but the phone is used too much by others to make it worth giving up the free local/national any time calls BT offer for €49.82 including 1MB 10GB BB:(

If everyone was Metro it would be great but that wont happen.

Does anyone know if you can pay to get free local/national with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

P.
    How can that be considered "widely available"??:confused:
    And it doesn't "include free calls to any Irish landline, as well as a broadband connection."
    I don't think this is what we're waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

P.

ok this is what you get when you go to the order page

"Please note: To achieve a connection under one of the standard service plans you must have clear line- of-sight from your planned transceiver location (i.e. rooftop) to a Digiweb central network transmitter, and not be more than 10km from same.."

Does anyone know where the "Digiweb central network transmitters" are in Galway?

Could this product be a "pre-emtive strike" on the new "sub €25 product" that may be coming from some other company in the summer? It appears that there is a 6 week waiting period since all areas appear to be in red (althought it appears orange on my screen LOL )
    "(Area’s in Red are Pre-launch and may take up to six weeks for activation) "

What ever is happening i hope it is a early attack to gain customers :) competition is what we need ....... They may be plugging into the MANS (mentioned in SBP today) and using that to have back haul from more areas :)

Its all good :) but would be fantastic if i can connect to them LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

From reading threads about this telephone service it sometimes/often doesn't work and is in fact considered a bonus service by Digiweb so if it doesn't work, tough.

Nice package on paper and hopefully it will stir up a bit of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The question is, should I keep the sales guy in BT waiting for me to scan the acceptance form to continue with the transfer:o

Blaster99 wrote:
    From reading threads about this telephone service it sometimes/often doesn't work and is in fact considered a bonus service by Digiweb so if it doesn't work, tough.

yeah it is ......and with BB at least you can use Skype or other similar product :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Their FWA pricing has changed too. Their existing 512k service now costs €30 and the €35 package now has 1mbit speeds:)

http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_wireless_services.asp?

My speeds have not changed though so I will find out tomorrow to see what will happen to existing customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Their FWA pricing has changed too. Their existing 512k service now costs €30 and the €35 package now has 1mbit speeds:)

http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_wireless_services.asp?

My speeds have not changed though so I will find out tomorrow to see what will happen to existing customers.

See here :- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054931616

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Blaster99 wrote:

Well I'm 12.5km from the base on Metro and I did have quality issues with my phone, though Skype was perfect. With Firmware / QOS upgrade to the modem and changing to an Telcom Eircom "Boyne" branded handset it is now perfect.

I had to cut tree branches to get LOS... A heavy thick mist all the way across the Shannon reduces the signal more than rain but even now with leaves on trees my system is still fine. Just. The 10km LOS allows a safe marging for Rain, Hail, Fog, Ice, being at edge of a "Sector" etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The boyne probably draws less current because it has no display of any sort.

Digiweb may well be advised to source cheap basic analogue phones, test them off the Analogue ports and offer them to customers for €10-€15 along with wireless hubs etc . Then if you live nn form the mast and do not have an apporved phone they have a getout. Their phone service may be more susceptible to the quality of the terminating equipment than other systems ..like a copper phone line . The boyne is not a cheap analogue phone...being a Nortel... but a good quality one for its day and likely to operate in a narrow voltage range because of the quality of the components used .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

So is this the announcement then being reported then? Fairly loose definition of "widely available" then! eircom-like PR. What about the project-20 locations? Or is that the "widely available" part to come?

Disappointing PR, but a very nice product. Hopefully they have the staff/skills to sustain it now.

Oh yeah, and what about the mobile-data license?!

cgarvey wrote:
    So is this the announcement then being reported then? Fairly loose definition of "widely available" then! eircom-like PR. What about the project-20 locations? Or is that the "widely available" part to come?

Disappointing PR, but a very nice product. Hopefully they have the staff/skills to sustain it now.

Oh yeah, and what about the mobile-data license?!

does anyone know where the individual Digiweb central network transmitters are? The Galway Metro one is in Ballybane AFAIK .... please correct me if im wrong. Where are the other transmitters? Knowing this will be an asset to people to decide if they can avail of the new Metro lite service. Have the Project 20 locations been unveiled yet? Can you help us there Crawler?

I guess the €25 deal is Metro Lite with the 20Gig download limit talked about here
    It would be interesting to see what coverage Digiweb now have compared to the rest of the ISPs. It would show them in a very favorable light i feel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

There was an interview with Digiweb's John Quinn on RTE's business news this evening.link to the file

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Altreab wrote:
    does anyone know where the individual Digiweb central network transmitters are? The Galway Metro one is in Ballybane AFAIK .... please correct me if im wrong. Where are the other transmitters? Knowing this will be an asset to people to decide if they can avail of the new Metro lite service. Have the Project 20 locations been unveiled yet? Can you help us there Crawler?

I guess the €25 deal is Metro Lite with the 20Gig download limit talked about here
    It would be interesting to see what coverage Digiweb now have compared to the rest of the ISPs. It would show them in a very favorable light i feel :)

The 20 next towns (might be more) are pretty much the next 20 larger towns. Typically these would be Kilkenny, Carlow, Athlone, and more as well as upgraded sites in Dublin, Cork, Galway etc.

Advertisement