Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW advice

Options
  • 07-05-2006 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking about getting myself a BMW 520, probably a '97.
    So what issues do these have and what should I look out for??

I would be also considering getting a diesel maybe, any tips?

cheers,

Fuzzy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fuzzy,

The main thing you have to look out for is the nikasil issue. I don't want to go into any detail about it here as its covered in the UK BMW forum site a lot.

Go to http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=48 and do a general search under Nikasil and E39 buyers guide and you should find all the info you need on there.

Post another thread if you like. I have a 97 523i and its best to be prepared before you jump into one of these. Try to get one with a service history and anything over 80k miles, listen to see if the catalytic converter is gone. This can be expensive to replace.

Cambridge Motors in Crumlin are a very reputable used BMW dealer. I'd give them a call or check out http://www.cambridgemotorco.ie/

You should be looking at paying between €6-7.5k for one depending on mileage & condition.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Total BMW did a buying guide for the 6 cyl E39 - www.totalbmwmag.com/Buying/BuyingNov01.pdf

As lex says keep an eye out for nikasil.

When buying, go for one which has air con rather than the standard climate, leather, sunroof, 17" alloys, etc. as there will be plenty of cars out there.

problems with these tend to be electrical but both myself and Lex had our cats fail. Seemingly these tend to go about 75kmiles so maybe ask if it was done.
    lastly, ensure you have a full service histroy (preferably from a dealer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Fuzzy i was looking at a 97/98 5 series aswell but was put off by possible expensive maintenance issues. Went for a '94 E200 instead.(after 96 the E series suffered rust problems so avoid) Doesn't have the handling or the excellent auto box of the BMW but in my 5 months of ownership it has given me zero faults and have spent nothing on it yet. Intending to keep it forever!

maintenance is only really expensicve if you go to a main dealer. At that age a decent indy should be fine.

kbannon wrote:
    maintenance is only really expensicve if you go to a main dealer. At that age a decent indy should be fine.

Agreed. For me it was removing as much of the unknown by buying the merc as the w124 is known for it reliability.

I still notice the 5 series and was looking at an estate. Have you had any issues since you bought yours ?

• Advertisement

Biggest problem for me was the catalytic converter dying.
    The rest was mainky electrical things such as sensors, etc. - currently my ASC [traction control] light is on. A diag showed a switch at the throttle body to be the cause. I can live with it though!

If you are looking at a car from 1997, most likely it will have done over 100k miles. If you see one with 60k miles, its fake, unless its got a bullet proff history to back it up.

Problems I've had (if you can call them that):

Replaced the 4 front control arms due to routine maintenance...they typically last 60k miles

Replaced the steering rod ends again due to routine maintenance.

Replaced catalytic converter (EXPENSIVE)

Replace windscreen washer pump (Issues with pre July 97 model pumps...no problems with new one)

Replaced throttle cable due to routine maintenance (was starting to get stiff)

Replaced ASC control cable after it broke (common problem caused ASC light to come on)

Agree with kbannon about getting the climate control. Sunroof though not a big issue. 17" alloys & leather is nice. If you can get a car with the upgraded lights (Angel eyes & rear celis) it gives the car a fresher look.

When you drive the car, make sure the temp needle settles after about 5 mins in the dead centre and doesn't move off that position. If it goes above it, then you have issues and these cars can be problematic for cooling/heating issues.
    Cycle the internal heating controls to full heat and full fan speed during the test drive and down to cold and double check the A/C. Check all electrics especially the lights (the front headlight beam on these older ones had a tendency to stay on with the ignition off due to a failure in the light module - €500 fix at a main dealer...I'll do it for €150)

To check the front control arm bushes for wear, turn the wheels out at the front on full lock and kick the threaded part of the tyre hard...there should be very little rocking back & forth of the wheel....if so, its €100/arm plus fitting.

Anything else I think of, I'll add

kbannon wrote:
    currently my ASC [traction control] light is on. A diag showed a switch at the throttle body to be the cause. I can live with it though!
    can't believe you still haven't fixed that ya lazy git....

Not bothered about it!
    Done two track days with it gone and no bother!

Another important thing about the W124 merc (and probably also with the beemer) is that it is a big safe car.

That horrific crash down in carlow where 3 died. The guy in the w124 merc only suffered a broken hip.

carlowcrash,0.jpg

• Advertisement

Another important thing about the W124 merc (and probably also with the beemer) is that it is a big safe car.

That horrific crash down in carlow where 3 died. The guy in the w124 merc only suffered a broken hip.

carlowcrash,0.jpg
    Ya, I noticed that on the TV alright....that old Merc held together quite well.
    I saw a program on TG a year or 2 ago where they drove an old Merc into a pack of stationary cars about 10 deep at 80mph. The Merc plowed threw 3 or 4 of them like butter and came out the other side fairly intact to a degree.

I much rather be in my 5 series in a 1-to-1 situation than any other car...
    kbannon wrote:
    Not bothered about it!
    So have you removed the cat completely? I thought you got a new one fitted from the stealers a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you're looking for safety and your budget is €7,000 then forget about Mercedes & BMW. Buy a Citroen C5 instead. I drive a 1994 Mercedes. It's a lovely car, but the last word in passive safety it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anan1 is right. The W124 was a very safe car in its day but things have moved on a LOT. The Merc driver in Carlow only survived because the impact was on the left side of the car which folded up like tinfoil. Had the impact been on the drivers side his chances of survival would have been almost nil. The left side of the Mondeo also suffered major damage but from what could see it held up slightly better than the Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Thanks for the advice lads, hopefully will be shopping in the next week or two, waiting on insurance to pay out on claim.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    kbannon wrote:
    Not bothered about it!

So have you removed the cat completely? I thought you got a new one fitted from the stealers a while back?
    Cat was replaced at the dealers (€€€). My quote above meant that my ASC was still gone.

Advertisement