Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruud's Farewell?

• 07-05-2006 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Last game of the season at OT today. But could it be Ruuds last game at OT? I have horrible feeling it is. His demeanour lately has been that of a man who knows his time is up. For me he is up there with the best strikers in the world. With the right service he is a 30+ goal a season striker.

Should he leave I would be extremely curious to know if it was due to a fall out with Fergie or a change in the shape/focus/tactics of the team.

Ruud on his way out? 104 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 104 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i voted no. i seriously hope he doesnt go.there is not to many that could replace him

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

He's on his way to Spurs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I reckon he is one the way out and (apart from the testimonial next tuesday) this will be his last time playing at OT.
    He seems to be sulking about the place for the last few games and getting pushed to the bench for that amount of time would have annoyed him.
    I dont really care either way if he goes or not-its the midfield that we should be worried about-we have Rooney, Saha, Rossi and a few more there or there abouts that can do a job for us up front.
    The money we get for him can be put towards a decent midfielder hopefully.
    He has given us good service and now is a good time to sell him.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

sharkman wrote:
    He's on his way to Spurs .

I heard this from a die hard PSV fan, but he also told me if Spurs don't make it into the champions league next year Jol will be on his way to PSV. Just rumours I know, but something to think about. If Jol does end up going to PSV I reckon any potential deal involving Van Nistelrooy to spurs will be called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lets hope so....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

i voted yes, it just seems like its his time to go, it looks that even he knows it. he did brilliant things for the club but i just hope him luck in the world cups and for the rest of his career, wherever he will be playing. and hope we get a decent midfielder and possibly a striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep. He's out it seems, but unless Fergie has a top draw replacement ready to sign it does'nt make much sense!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

the poll doesnt look good for him staying:( . who would be the right replacement for him?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

As someone else pointed out - with the right service he is a savage marksman and I reckon with the midfield being restocked this summer he may still have a place depending on who comes in. The right midfielder would return Ruud to his former glory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont think fergie will sell him willingly, if ruud does go, it will be because he has asked to leave and fergie cant persuade him to stay. i hope he stays and that is that, we need him to score goals,saha is a better footballer, but misses too many chances, van nistelrooy is a poacher and when he is on form, there is no player better suited to united style of play. if he leaves, it creates a problem that we dont need, i.e., we are then looking for a striker. if he was to be sold, it would have to be away more than the 8million that is being suggeted on some site. we would have to get at least £15 million for him, clubs will not pay that, so he will stay. the only possible deal that i would like is him going to inter in a swap + cash for adriano but that is not likely to happen is it? diarra and riquelme are still the 2 players that i would like to see come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IS there anybody in the entire world who thinks that Ruud will go to a team that is not in the champions league?

Is there somebody out there who thinks this?

The stories I read are hilarious, Ruud + 14 for Torres.
    First off, 14 million, rofl.
    Second, Why the **** would Ruud go to Atheletico Madrid, placed 9th in La Liga.

It's all bull****, and Ruud has said he is ready for next season, Fergie has said it, infact it's all just made up bull**** like the same ****e every year.

If people stopped believing it, then the papers would stop making up ****e, but they don't, and people do.

If he leaves, he leaves, it'll be to a top club.
    I betcha all the money in the world over the summer he'll be linked to Newcastle. All these stories are what I like to call Newcastle stories, players who are way above the level of clubs, getting linked to them, for no other reason than to make the fans of the club happy for a brief period.

Ruud might leave, but I'd be suprised if it is to anywhere but a top 4 club in either England, Spain or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

News just in

Ruud not named in starting lineup, so galloped home in a huff.

He's gone, for sure.

Makes the post above me (PHB) look a bit silly now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ruud has gone home. Not even on the bench today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

It's just been on Sky Sports that Ruud's not even on the bench today. He'll be sold this summer, I have no doubt about that now.

Hopefully he'll play in Keane's match on Tuesday and have a chance to say goodbye to the fans. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks for the memories Ruud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wow hes not even on the bench.
    He must be on his way out now.
    I just cant understand it.Ferguson for all his pluses has made some dreadfull decisions over the years and this could be among his worst.

Its still unclear if Ruud was going to be a sub but decided to go home because he wasnt starting.

On plus point is Scholes on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Surely the end for Ruud now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

martin jol, edgar davids,..... ruud van nistelrooy??? the dutch revolution continues!?

Fairly bad times, Hope it's not the last game for Ruud (means the focus of fixing our midfield will be gone, which could be good or could be bad), but if it is I can only see him moving to one of these clubs:

Barca
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea
    Inter
    AC Milan
    Juve
    PSV(Maybe)
    Valencia(Maybe, but even less likely)

Otherwise he'll be at United next season.

TBH, I think the guy deserves to have at least 2 more seasons winning trophies, and it's looking like United aren't going to be at the top of the list. The talent this guy has deserves to have won the CL by now.

I've the feeling that all over Europe agents are reaching for their mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

If Ferguson comes on and says some crap like Ninstelrooy got a slight knock or some crap like that I'll lose all respect for him. There's obviously been some kind of aggravation in the camp and we all know how Ferguson gets after an argument.....i.e. Beckham, Staam etc..

Ruud deserved to say a chance to say goodby to old trafford.

Plus he was my captain this week in the Fantasy League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I think the way Ruud has been treated is an absolute disgrace. He has been an extremely loyal servant to United and an amazing goalscorer. And he deserves better.

And i'm a 'pool supporter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sajan wrote:
    I think the way Ruud has been treated is an absolute disgrace. He has been an extremely loyal servant to United and an amazing goalscorer. And he deserves better.

And i'm a 'pool supporter.

AGREED , And I would not mind one bit if Rafa went after him . But I think he is going to Spurs .

I'd be surprised if United sold him to a team nipping at their heals who are only really missing a regular goalscorer!

Part exchange for Dafoe maybe?

Why the hell would Ruud join Spurs?

At worst, he could just return to PSV and play in the CL with a decent team behind him. Considering Fergie's interest in Farfan it isn't unlikely, but seriously, not a chance he is going to Spurs

Why in the hell would United want Defoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think Fergie was testing his character when he dropped him earlier this season. Ruud failed, he just threw the rattle out of the pram, instead of proving he should be the first choice. For the last few months he's just gone through the motions in my opinion.

I'd say after today he is gone, and it kills me to say it because he is a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Because Fergie likes to have 4 top-class strikers, because Defoe is a proven premiership goalscorer, because he's young and because they'd get him for cheap and could offload the seemingly surplus to requirements Ruud as part of the deal.

I dont think Ruud would mind going the other way either. He gets to stay in England, he gets to a play for a top team full of promise under a dutch manager, and no doubt he'd get offered a fair wedge of cash too.

• Advertisement

Because Fergie likes to have 4 top-class strikers, because Defoe is a proven premiership goalscorer, because he's young and because they'd get him for cheap and could offload the seemingly surplus to requirements Ruud as part of the deal.

Yeh, but United could just as easily do that with say, I don't know, an impressive player from Spurs this season, Keane.
    Why in the hell would they want Defoe? He isn't United level, comparable to Smith.

I dont think Ruud would mind going the other way either. He gets to stay in England, he gets to a play for a top team full of promise under a dutch manager, and no doubt he'd get offered a fair wedge of cash too.

Why the hell would Ruud care about staying in England? His family are all Dutch. He would have to move to London. Nothing keeping him here but United.

He is 29 years old, he doesn't care about promise.
    Why would he care about playing under a Dutch manager?

As for the cash, What is Spurs top player on, 50k a week at most?
    Ruud is on 80k + goal bonuses, something that Spurs could just not afford

He is the best striker United have ever had under Fergie, has scored 150 goals for United, has been top scorer in the CL 3 times, in all but one of his seasons in the premierhsip has gotten 20+ goals, and he is 29, about to have a stunning world cup.

Do you honastly think he is going to join Spurs?
    Make some sense

If Ruud is going to leave, I wish people would stop being silly about where he is going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Oooh. Just heard the Fergie post-match interview. Van Nistelrooy is toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeh, but United could just as easily do that with say, I don't know, an impressive player from Spurs this season, Keane.
    Why in the hell would they want Defoe? He isn't United level, comparable to Smith.

Well, Spurs wont sell Keane, being as he was one of their best players this season, but I'd wager will listen to offers for Defoe. As for being comparable to Smith, and not good enough for Utd, well... Utd did buy Smith, didn't they? And Dwight Yorke wasn't the biggest name in football when he joined either, was he?

Man Utd have other priorities this summer, so if they can get a player like Defoe at a bargain price, I'm sure they'll take it. They cant compete for the signatures of the Shevchenkos and Adrianos of this world, and Defoe isn't a bad alternative.
    Why the hell would Ruud care about staying in England? His family are all Dutch. He would have to move to London. Nothing keeping him here but United.

I dunno, maybe he's settled here? Maybe his family like it. Does he speak Spanish or Italian?
    Do you honastly think he is going to join Spurs?
    Make some sense

If Ruud is going to leave, I wish people would stop being silly about where he is going to go.

At this point, nobody knows where he's going, least of all me and you. Spurs aren't as far off Man Utd as you'd like to think (were it not for a few dodgy kebabs, they may well have been in the CL next year), and the only big European club crying out for a striker this summer is Chelsea, so he may not exactly be swamped with offers, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well I don't think Fergie has the moral high-ground on this whole issue. Yes, it was wrong of Ruud to walk out of the stadium today, but I think he has every cause to be upset with the way he has been treated.
    I was understanding when he was dropped for the CC final, after all, he had very little involvement in the tournament and Saha had scored a bagful of goals throughout, he deserved his start. But after that Van Nistelrooy just seemed to be exiled. I know Saha was in good form, but it seemed to be a constant cold shoulder from Fergie to Van Nistelrooy for the last 3 months of the season.
    Maybe something happened in the camp, who knows besides them. There was that scuffle in training between Ronaldo and Ruud, maybe something to do with that? Others attribute the fall-out to Ruud's listliss performance in the FA Cup defeat to Liverpool. If that is the reason, then it is bull****. Every United player played **** that day, it was a horrible performance. And one bad performance isn't the end of the world for a player who is the top scorer at the club.

If this is the end, I'll be absolutely gutted. It also means that Fergie will have to divide his attentions between fixing the midfield and finding a replacement. Say what you want about Saha and the others, but if Ruud goes then it's 20-odd goals a season you have to replace.

Well, Spurs wont sell Keane, being as he was one of their best players this season, but I'd wager will listen to offers for Defoe. As for being comparable to Smith, and not good enough for Utd, well... Utd did buy Smith, didn't they? And Dwight Yorke wasn't the biggest name in football when he joined either, was he?

Do you think that's maybe to do with Keane being better than Defoe? Why would United want players who can't make it at Spurs.
    Man Utd have other priorities this summer, so if they can get a player like Defoe at a bargain price, I'm sure they'll take it. They cant compete for the signatures of the Shevchenkos and Adrianos of this world, and Defoe isn't a bad alternative.

Yeh, but the advantage of having a player in the league of Shevchenko and Eto is that you have a barginning chip.
    and the only big European club crying out for a striker this summer is Chelsea, so he may not exactly be swamped with offers, either.

So when Chelsea buy this player, they are buying him from thin air? They will buy from a club, which will create a gap, and the cycle continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

after the match sky sports had a interview with fergie and was asked about Ruud
    fergie replied ill be talking to the directors tomorrow

somthing happened between him and fergie last week
    fergie did the same thing with Beckham

I wouldnt mind David Villa
    but i wouldnt go near Torres

Torres is quite a bad finisher

i loved Ruud what a player when he had good service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SteM wrote:
    I'd be surprised if United sold him to a team nipping at their heals who are only really missing a regular goalscorer!

Part exchange for Dafoe maybe?

Michael Carrick may be a more likely target IMO IF ruud were to go to Spurs.

Sorry to see Ruud Go but I can't say I,m surprised as the writing has been on the wall for most of the season and even as far back as last summer. United have been playing reasaonably weel without him and Fergie is building for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Not a chance United could get David Villa.

What really strikes me out of all of this is the damage to the reputation of the cub and to Ferguson. Who would want to go to the club after the way two of there best players have been treated..
    First Beckham and now Ruud. I cant see anyone wanting to join United the way they used to. Not after this petulant display by Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

it wouldnt suprize me if next season will be fergies last

and hopefully get rid of that pure and utter waster of a assistance manager carlos

Fergie for me has made too many mistakes

i personally didnt think that Beckham wasnt that good ,but the amount of money he's bring in to Real Madrid is amazing
    he shouldnt have been sold also he set so many goals up for Ruud

No wonder Real Madrid the richest club in the world now

I also feel sorry for Ruud that he has to put up with Ronaldo
    mg it must be fair frustrating
    never knowing when youll get the ball etc

Ronaldo still needs alot of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

something happened during the week, wonder when it will come out. apparantly he has been affecting team morale. that is that no surely for ruud, and this will lower his value. the best i can think of is a swap deal for torres. on the plus side, our best run of results came with ruud on the bench so its not all doom and gloom,now we need 2 central midfielders and a striker, though talks of owen will now grow over the next few weeks.

PHB wrote:
    Why the hell would Ruud join Spurs?

I'm not suggesting he'll end up at Spurs. It's just that the 2 English clubs he's been most linked with are Livepool and Spurs and I'd be STUNNED if he ended up at Liverpool. It's even been brought up by pundits on Soccer Saturday.
    PHB wrote:

IMO, Defoe has better long term prospects than Robbie Keane. I believe he's a better player and a better finisher. If Ruud is to leave United I think Ferguson will want another striker and he's a known admirer of Defoe. Carrick was mentioned by The Muppet and he's another potential target.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yet another world class player forced out by fergie.

TBH i dont think they will replace him. Rossi will be given his chance now.

If RVN signs for Pool I'll...I'll....I'll....be confused!

Mike.

Fergie has said that incidents took place during training that were a concern to him regarding "team spirit" and so he felt RVN should be left out of the squad. Looks like he is being branded a disruptive element who has to be removed.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mike65 wrote:
    If RVN signs for Pool I'll...I'll....I'll....be confused!

Mike.

You and the rest of us...! (as a pool fan)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I voted yes, and it sickened me to do so. I think he is under-rated, even though he is regarded one of the top strikers in the premiership. How many other tall poachers are there with such world class all-round play? However, apart from Cantona, Alex never takes sh!t like this without selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh I am truly saddened by this today, Ruud is one of my favorite footballers. I am Dutch , so I suppose thats why I like him so much. The truth is though this man is an amazing footballer, he was top scorer up until the fergie started dropping him. I would love for Barca to sign him if they cant get Henry.

At this stage anyways , Ruud you have given United fans some great moments, I would thank you for all your work and I hope you get a club that treats you with respect(Please be Barca).

For Sir Alex Ferguson I am lost for words to describe how I feel about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I voted yes, the writing is certainly on the wall now,

but for anyone to think he would go to spurs???
    seriously, i wouldnt think he would go there even if they had have qualified for the champions league.

Im presuming the disgreement with fergie was about how he should be first choice striker at one of the best teams in europe - to go join spurs would be somewhat double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

We all know who should be leaving Old Trafford and it isn't Ruud....... it's that egotistical...... so and so (if I used the words I REALLY wanted to say I'd get banned and sued for slander)

Ince, Stam, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy....... they all can't be in the wrong.

FERGUSON OUT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I really don't know what to think about this! My gut reaction is that Fergie has forced out another star, but in fairness he has been there and done it so I am very slow to question him! Ruud is near the perfect striker for Manchester United and I feel that if he is going to eventually leave the club as a result of a personality clash it is a real travesty!

The club could conceivably still be playing with Stam and Beckham (and arguably Keane) if it weren't for Fergie's iron fist. You have to ask yourself, is it right that they are not at the club?

If it is the end for Ruud at United, thank you!

If Ferguson turns things around at United and they win the Premiership or CL next season, I wonder will there be certain posters here changing their tune?

If Ruud leaves in the summer then I'll say what I said when Beckham, Keane, Hughes, Stam and the rest of them left. Good luck and thanks for all your effort.

Things change, people come and go but I support Manchester United Football Club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement