Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what about this one, lads and lassies?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have to say it caught me off guard. I knew they were flying troop carriers, but not fighter jets. I mean have you ever been close to an F16 when it does a fly pass? Hard not to hear it. I know the jet in question is a tomcat, but that's a twin enginned jet and has to be loud as anything. So if they were flying by people would surely hear them.
    I was hoping someone here could maybe shed some light, or offer an alternative point of view :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 aidjtk

that tail fin thingy is good but couldn't possibly be true as it is stated;
    U.S. war planes over ireland; doubtfull I live in west cork and have never seen any odd planes. we do see allot of jet stream clouds and a few helecoptors but never fighter jets.
    Stories like these always emerge to put suspicion to our "neutrality"
    during world war 2 german submarines (U boats) used to land in bantry bay and germans used to go on week end leave in the area.
    A german bomber also crashlanded in clonakilty
    The american tail fin would never have come off of an active plane most probably it was caught in the atlantic by currents and washed ashore
    although I say this now the story that our minister would allow fighter jets to pass could have merit but what would fighter jets be doing flying over ireland and possibly true france as both countries are neutral and it would be the stupidest way to fly to iraq and america would never do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

notwithstanding those facts, I dont think a tomcat has the flight range to reach Iraq ?. I'd agree with the post, but was looking to see if anyone could shed light or cast an alternative opinion, at worst it's an interesting story heh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 aidjtk

I was skeptical of the whole thing but then went through the papers online, it did actually happen. The fin washed up on warren strand in roscarbery in west cork and the official line was that is was lost in the gulf of mexico years ago and the gulf stream slowly brought it up to ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

aidjtk wrote:
    and the official line was that is was lost in the gulf of mexico years ago and the gulf stream slowly brought it up to ireland

And is there any reason to doubt this official line? Its the most credible theory out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

An American F-14 tomcat tail fin was discovered washed up on an Irish Beach on friday this week. The fin was in very good condition which suggests it has only been in the water for a few weeks or months

from the gulf years ago you say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement