Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys Wireless Router Problem

• 07-05-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I just got a Linksys wireless router WRT54GS and I'm having some problems setting it up.

I'm conecting my Linksys AG241 modem router to this wireless router, and have set up all the details. The wireless network is found and I can connect to it but I can't browse on the internet. I'm using WEP encryption.

Is there a conflict between the two routers?

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The only possible comflict could be with IP addresses.
    What IP address does you linksys router get from the modem?
    What range of IP addresses is your Linksys router ggiving out to clients?
    What is the IP address of your Linksys Modem (This will be the gateway and will need to be configured as such on the router)
    The IP address of the Router will need to be the gate way address on the clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Do you mean the start IP address?

Do you know how i'd find out the range?

I'm on IOL so the IP address is dynamic. Should that affect anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Apapaia: To get the IP gateway go Start > Run > type 'cmd' without quotes and type 'ipconfig /all' without quotes at teh prompt and in the readout you'll find the gateway address.

Type the gateway address in a browser window and it will bring up your config page. One thing you need to do is turn off the router in one of your devices, recommend you turn off the modem router function and set modem to bridge mode and let the WRT54GS do the PPoE authentication and the routing, DHCP etc as it will be neater to debug if there are probs. Also if your having probs surfing, can you share files etc thru the wifi router but not access the net? Disable the WEP for the moment until you get the connection sorted then work on setting up encription (its a common mistake to try to set all this up at once unless you're very sure of the settings)

Post up if you need more help

Munster

Cheers man, I got it to work. (with WEP as well)

I still have one problem though. It works grand for my brothers laptop but doesn't for mine. He has inbuilt wireless and doesn't need a card, but I have to use a linksys usb adapter. It says that it's connected but internet is unavailable and in the wireless properties when it connects it says that there is an invalid IP address, so is there something in the settings where I have to say that two machines need to connect?

Thanks again guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Sounds like it is either an ip conflict or you're not being assigned an ip address.

For the first, check to see that your PC is set to automatically get an ip address and does not have a static ip address assigned.

For the second, if you have MAC filtering enabled make sure you the correct MAC address of your wireless card is entered into the router's config. You can get the MAC address by entering "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt. Look for the physical address of the wireless card.

• Advertisement

As far as I know my laptop gets the ip address assigned automatically with DHCP.

I don't have MAC filtering enabled so it should be able to detect the network.

I think it might be that the usb adapter is faulty. If I plug it in it might freeze the network connections folder (and some other things) after a while and when I dismount it everything works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

in that case uninstall any existing drivers for the USB. Restart. Then download and install the latest drivers for the USB adapter from the Linksys website. See if that helps.

No luck i'm afraid. I tried the driver on their website which was an older driver but it still didn't work. I tried the cd again and the same stuff happened again. It just says connected but can't connect to internet, some things are stalled when i go into them when it's connected and when i remove the adapter things start functioning normally again.

I think i'll exchange it for a wireless card.

Thanks for the advice though.

Advertisement