Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Solar Film

Options
  • 07-05-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

can anyone tell me how to install solar film? i bought sumex brand stuff to do the rear windows and ive no idea how to cut it to shape and put it in! would greatly appreciate some advice of the non sarcastic variety!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

gavstar69 wrote:
    can anyone tell me how to install solar film? i bought sumex brand stuff to do the rear windows and ive no idea how to cut it to shape and put it in! would greatly appreciate some advice of the non sarcastic variety!

Read over this carefully and you should a general idea how to do it.

For glass that can't be removed (stationary rear side windows for instance):

* clean the glass in the vehicle a few times as described above (clean the window rubber too!). Find out which side of the tint film has the plastic cover. Place the tint film side (not clear plastic backing) onto the window from the outside. Use a sharp razor type blade or scissors (don't damage paint) to cut the tint to the shape of the window glass. Go a 1/4 inch larger at least!!
    * Inside the vehicle, remove the clear tint backing, spray both the glass and the tint. Hold up the tint and apply it carefully to the window. You can move it around while it's wet.
    * With the rubber squeegy/spatula, work the water out starting at the centre to the outsides as close to the edge as possible. Do this a few times.
    * Push the tint right into the edge, using a sharp razor cut the film a couple mm's (1/16 inch) onto the window rubber as the film will shrink slightly when dry. Carefully go around the entire window.
    * You can always carefully pull up the film and spray more water behind it to get out air bubbles, etc. When dry inspect it.

For stubborn water or air bubbles that won't come out on a flat surface use a tiny sharp pin to poke a tiny hole in the film. Then press the air or water out. Put some pressure on it with a weight or something until the film permanently sticks to the glass if you can.

Advertisement