Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Vs Birth Cert

Options
  • 07-05-2006 12:53pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Does the college legally recognise the name on your passport opposed to your birth cert? You see the thing is although my 'name' as i'm called by everyone is the Irish (Peadar) my birth cert is actually in my english name (Peter). My passport carries the name Peadar as the Irish State allows you to do.

When I registered, I used my birth cert not passport. However I think the passport is legally recognised by the college.

I'd really prefer my degree to be in my name I use every day. Can i turn up with my passport in admin and demand this be changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Yeah, they'll issue you a student card in Irish free of charge if you like. Maybe changing your personal details on SIS would be a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Yeh my official name is john on my one of my passports and Eoin on another same deal with my social security and PPS card. The admin people are cool about it on your student card I dont know why they would object towards your degree. Maybe try asking instead of demanding be charming like, "wow your a real.... good... ad-MIN-istrator"(nod knowlingly[maybe wink]).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i didn't mean i was gonna storm in or anything... i just feel so stupid i bothered with my birth cert and not passport on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I had my passport and although it has a fada on it they refused to give me a fada on my card as it wasn't on the list they had. Man was I pissed. I'm not un-a, I'm Úna. Besides, I have two first names and no middle name, but I didn't bother with that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Its whatever documentation you provide when you register, I dont have my middle name on my Student Card My passport doesn`t contain my middle name cos i dont have a copy of my birth cert was born in England and never got in touch with the NHS to send me over a copy.

• Advertisement

I don't know anyone who has a middle name on their card, I just only have half of mine on mine, and even that much is spelled incorrectly!

Peadar, try it anyway. At worst, they won't help.

I'll have a shot tomorrow and see.

My full four names appear on UCD Connect and i'm Peter F on my student card.

Maybe we should update our Board Wiki article with this type of stuff for people in future...

I have a big problem with the whole student card thing anyway, especially that it takes a day for the card to become active.

Hope it works out - if it does, let me know and I'll go in armed with my birth cert and get them to sort the thing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

My birth cert is misspelt Gavin. I couldn't get my middle name put on my passport because they classed 'Gavan' as a 'fake' name, and seemingly you're only allowed one...

My brother has his first name and the first initial of his second first name, which is how they treat most multiple first names, as far as I know. The poor guy is Patrick William James, although I think the James bit might be a middle name (otherwise he has three first names) and he doesn't answer to any of it! Maybe my parents just got better at the name thing after they fúcked up by giving me two first names, without hyphenation, and no middle name.

A friend of mine hates her real name, and so goes by something completely different. In first year they gave her a student card with her "incorrect" first name, but after that they gave her one with her official name as on her birth cert. Odd!

• Advertisement

Idiot me forgot the passport.

I'll try and see tomorrow. I wonder if i'll be told where to go - will it end up being 'you registered with your birth cert so tough?'

Happy to inform everyone that college now calls me Peadar! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Congrats.

Red Alert- 1. UCD- 0.

Advertisement