Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backup Systems for Small Multi-Use Server

• 07-05-2006 1:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I have a FreeBSD-5.4 server due to be upgraded to 6.1 over the summer. I have all my e-mail and home directory on it mounted by my desktop and synchronized by my laptop. I'll also have at least one OpenLDAP database, two PostgreSQL databases and have three MySQL ones which simply have got to be backed up. It has my entire MP3 collection and a few Subversion repositories on it too.

Currently I have four SATA drives on a 3Ware 9500S-12 RAID controller. I have had a few frights so far this year with power failures and the like as i've neither got a UPS nor the BBU accessory for the 3Ware.

I'm definitely going to equip this thing with the 3Ware BBU and an APC UPS. I was unsure about how to go about further backups. Jaz and Zip drives appear to be very cheap on eBay. I was thinking about sticking in two extra hard drives and configuring them as RAID-1 for backup - only mounting them as needed, and backing up the most important stuff onto a Jaz or Zip drive.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I have also tried to work out a decent plan. I haven't come up with one but as a stop gap measure I have implemented something. Added a backup hard drive of 100Megs. Then a cronjob backing up all my mp3s and documents using rsync. Didn't take much to do this an gives me certain peace of mind. Still not ideal but better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

I use Mysqlblasy
    for painless mysql backups.
    Flexbackup is great for versatile backups of simple systems.

I use amanda a lot for larger backups, and it's excellent
    once you have it set up, but for smaller jobs, flexbackup is brilliant.

I'd go for a DDS2 or DDS3 tape drive if you're going for ebay.
    Jaz and Zip drives are all very well, but they're not the best for
    a structured backup.

I saw a number for 30-50 euro ex postage from UK.
    I also saw a DDS4 (20G raw, 40G compressed) unit for 85 euro.

They're dead reliable, and tapes are easily available.
    NiallB

Advertisement