Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Piratical Exam

Options
  • 07-05-2006 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Got the cutting list & wood on wed
    250x90x12
    210x90x12
    340x70x12
    240x30x12
    200xdiameter9

Our teacher told us that he thinks that we will be cuttin 340x70x12 in half. Is there diff dates for this becasue when talking to people in my tech drawing grind class mine is monday 1 lads is on tues & another is on wed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭whassupp

mine's monday too. i think some schools have done it already. we also know that there will be a dovetail, mortice and tenon joints aswell as a 6mm chamfer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

whassupp wrote:
    mine's monday too. i think some schools have done it already. we also know that there will be a dovetail, mortice and tenon joints aswell as a 6mm chamfer.:)

i dont even know what a chamfer is, im away to google it now. plus i had to google morice and tennon to remind me what it was. that's how great i am at construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Just say aaaarrr a lot and you will be grand. It also helps if you have an eye patch.

smemon wrote:
    i dont even know what a chamfer is, im away to google it now. plus i had to google morice and tennon to remind me what it was. that's how great i am at construction.

chamfer is the angle that you put on the wood using a planer. mortice and tenon is quite difficult. you have to stick a piece of wood into a hole in the other one.

i just had a look at past papers and they're all very hard so im screwed.

whassupp wrote:
    chamfer is the angle that you put on the wood using a planer. mortice and tenon is quite difficult. you have to stick a piece of wood into a hole in the other one.

no, i assure you im screwed more :D it will be a miracle if i get all the joints right. but im hopeful as ever. if all else fails, i'll just butt joint everything together :p

• Advertisement

i'm waitin 4 some1 who has it dun to come on and say what it was like???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

whassupp wrote:
    mortice and tenon is quite difficult.

Yeah M&T r very hard i think like the last time i did one i ended up doing 5mm off on one side but some how i did this on BOTH of the ends sides dont know how i did it. My dove tails joints always end up going straight.

Yea was lookin at them too i think 2004 was really hard but in stayin that I did it about 5 months ago & got a C1.

My Con.st teacher was saying that if you get everything together and even tho it wud be the worst joints on it you wud be looking at getting a C in it.

I am afraid of that I will end up taking a big chunk off my wood near a joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

eamoss wrote:
    Our teacher told us that he thinks that we will be cuttin 340x70x12 in half.
    Ya my teacher thinks the same.

Have ye done much practice? I missed 2 important double classes but once i can read the drawing i should be ok.

I was lookin over the past papers and they the drawings seem to be alot clearer in recent times and they tell you what it is your making e.g DVD stand. Maybe people used to get the drawings before the exam a couple of years ago?

we didnt get much practice at all. we only had last week coz every1 was tryin to finish the projects. i'm afraid i might split the timber altogether. it only 12mm thick!. nd you cant replace it if that happens.

any idea why we need set squares and a compass??????????
    i hope theres no curves

whassupp wrote:
    any idea why we need set squares and a compass??????????
    i hope theres no curves
    I'd say you need the compass to mark out the holes you have to drill using the brace and bit, as for the set squares i'm not sure.

• Advertisement

thanx

whassupp wrote:
    thanx
    No problem but has anyone done this exam yet or has anyone who is repeating got any tips?

caesar wrote:
    I'd say you need the compass to mark out the holes you have to drill using the brace and bit, as for the set squares i'm not sure.

No dont think it will be for that. All u need for that is the centre no point in drawing a circle for wer the hole is going. Id say its for finding a point like in 2005 1 were the DVD stand went into the legs a bit or just to round off an edge.

Our teacher told us to look at the drawing for 10mins before marking out but i do tech drawing so i sud only take a few mins.
    What I woud say to everyone double check ur markin outs becasue I always add a few mil on by mistake & everything is the right way around. Also when ur marking out dont move the ruler like when u have 25 then 10 then 25 then 10 again do it by 25 then 35 then 65 then 75,get me?

Yeah is ur teacher stayin in the room? Mine isnt but other techers in diff schools around my town are stayin in the room with them. Also my grinds teacher told me that he is goin to explain to them how to do it.

My teacher follows the rules too the book think its cos he is an project examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

caesar wrote:
    I was lookin over the past papers and they the drawings seem to be alot clearer in recent times and they tell you what it is your making e.g DVD stand.
    You're right there, there's some scary ones in the archives, like 1998, and some headscratchers like 1997 for example. What the hell is that one meant to be?

my teacher wont be in the room either. have ye got ye're dovetail templates ready?

eamoss wrote:
    No dont think it will be for that. All u need for that is the centre no point in drawing a circle for wer the hole is going.
    I feel really stupid now.
    eamoss wrote:
    Id say its for finding a point like in 2005 1 were the DVD stand went into the legs a bit
    I hope i don't have to find any points, that sounds like stuff you'd be doing in tech graph.

eamoss wrote:
    Our teacher told us to look at the drawing for 10mins before marking out but i do tech drawing so i sud only take a few mins.
    What I woud say to everyone double check ur markin outs becasue I always add a few mil on by mistake & everything is the right way around. Also when ur marking out dont move the ruler like when u have 25 then 10 then 25 then 10 again do it by 25 then 35 then 65 then 75,get me?
    Ya i know what you're on about.
    eamoss wrote:
    Yeah is ur teacher stayin in the room? Mine isnt but other techers in diff schools around my town are stayin in the room with them. Also my grinds teacher told me that he is goin to explain to them how to do it.
    My teacher said he would be in and out, he said he'd give us a hand if there was any small problems.

Kwekubo wrote:
    You're right there, there's some scary ones in the archives, like 1998, and some headscratchers like 1997 for example. What the hell is that one meant to be?
    They are the ones i was thinking of
    whassupp wrote:
    my teacher wont be in the room either. have ye got ye're dovetail templates ready?
    No our teacher said we didn't need then, he showed the class a different way but I missed it. I might give one of friends a ring to find out what it was.

i also have a temlate ready for the 6mm chamfer to save wastin time with the guage which are acward things to use.

Will there be any problems with time??????????

whassupp wrote:
    I hope not, as long as i start at 9:30 instead of looking around me for the first 3 hours, i should be fine. Speaking of time I should get to bed.

id say it could be done in 2 hours. i mean 4hrs is a bit much, great if your good at construction cuz you can perfect it but for the likes of me its too long.

im hoping half the class will crack the wood and ruin the base or something :D

even though im bad, ive never cracked the wood before so thats some sort of comfort.

• Advertisement

whassupp wrote:
    have ye got ye're dovetail templates ready?
    Yeah, my teacher made loads of them last year id say there about 30 of them. God dont know wat id do wit out them imagine goin back to the old way :D
    whassupp wrote:
    i also have a temlate ready for the 6mm chamfer to save wastin time with the guage which are acward things to use.

I know im goin 2 f*ck that up some how, My teacher(god i use them 2 words a lot in the topic) told us if ur not finished marking out by 11 start cutting out.
    caesar wrote:
    I hope i don't have to find any points, that sounds like stuff you'd be doing in tech graph.
    If it does just ask some1 who does tech drawing. Its always the case in every constructin class more then half the class does tech drawin.

Anyway lads im off 2 bed good luck to uz all 2moro god we need it

eamoss wrote:
    If it does just ask some1 who does tech drawing. Its always the case in every constructin class more then half the class does tech drawin.
    A good few of the lads do it and i'm beside someone who does, plus if it's the supervisor i had for LCVP, it won't be a problem. He is fairly old and he couldn't get the TV working for the LCVP. He probably won't have a clue what's going on today.

Anyway lads im off 2 bed good luck to uz all 2moro god we need it[/QUOTE]
    It 2mro lads so good luck.

how easy was that? :)

an idiot like myself could even get decent marks in it.

i got it all assembled and looking like 3d drawing :D no cracked wood or miscalculations, all perfect.

a c at least for me in what is by far my worst subject.

13 out of 25 plus 18 out of 25 minimun means ive roughly 31% already. in reality ive probably near 40, which means keeping a steady head in june should see me surpass my target of a c2.

All I need was 5 more mins & i wud have got it all done. Yeah it was easy alright. At one stage I taught I would be handing with notting together. Only thing I didnt get done was the drilling the holes & puttin in the screws. Bit pissed off wit it id say i got a C but i was hoping for a B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

I managed to get everything together in the last 5 minutes. I'd say i got a C on it.

i wasnt as happy as the rest of ye but maybe thats coz im hopin for a high grade in construction.

started good. did well on the dovetails and the trench but then realised that i had only an hour left and in a big panic i made ****e of everythin else.

at least its all together and looks half decent.

i know some people who messed up the dovetails completely.

i forgot to drill the holes before putting in screws.
    there are also big gaps in places at the joints and rough chamferring.
    i put a 6mm basic chamfer on the optional side using a plane.

Any other views????????????

well as far as i know, all of my class got it assembled.

i cant see how time could be a problem, a dovetail and trench in 3 hours?! what the hell were ya at?!! :p

if i wanted to, i could have rushed it and done it in 3 hours. after 2 hours, a guy had it all done and left :D it was probably the best one too.

i got a piece of timber with a big crack in it to start with before id even touched it. showed it to my teacher and basically said deal with it :mad: bloody miricle i didnt crack it :)

i cant believe what ive done looking back on it, ive NEVER done more than one joint at a time and never completed a project before. i guess im just a big game player :D

well lets just say i got the top horizontal board and the vertical one on the right done in 3 hours.

i never did w/work and the lack of experience showed today.
    at least it all was in one piece at the end and fitted into the bag.

thankk **** its finished now so we can all concentrate on proper study for june................hopefully

whassupp wrote:
    i never did w/work and the lack of experience showed today.
    at least it all was in one piece at the end and fitted into the bag.

i never did woodwork either :D and was led to believe you didnt need to do it to do construction. :mad:

up until 2 years ago, i had never sawed a piece of wood in my life. up until today i'd done about 6 joints in 2 years and got most of them wrong. im delighted it all came good for me today.

from a distance, my piece actually looked professional and machine made :) nothing can stop me now, i'm ultra confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yup my bro said it was a piece of piss alright

Advertisement