Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

logo design need for college society

Options
  • 07-05-2006 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

anyone able to help with the design of a logo? main point of the logo should be...

DIT POKER SOC

or...

DIT Poker Soc.

or...

DIT Poker Society

or...

DIT-POKER

etc etc...

The DIT Aungier St Poker Soc need a logo for next year... just testing the waters here to see what could be. I'll probably be asking this again closer to september. Also the logo would have to be reasonably simple in order to print/embroider it on clothes (hoodies, tshirts, caps).

sure there's always the chance that whoever designs the logo we use gets a free hoodie!! hehehe!

any help much appreciated!

EDIT: looked for any guidelines for how to post this type of request in teh charter but couldnt find anything, hope this msg is ok. also added a few more details to make this understandable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ditpoker wrote:
    Also the logo would have to be reasonably simple in order to print/embroider it on clothes (hoodies, tshirts, caps).
    The logo will be used for merchandising and there's a high chance I won't receive anything in payment for this?!

Here's my attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Gordon wrote:
    Here's my attempt.
    Legend.

[edit]. My own (more serious) attempt is now attached, hope you like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

dit poker soc is a college based card club, not exactly a commercial enterprise so it would limited the amount of remuneration for it. Oddly your attempt at a logo is strikingly similar to my best efforts! :p in truth come sept/oct we will have a budget and will be in a position to offer 'SOME' payment for this... what is standard??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'll have a go at this tonight. I fancy a free hoody :cool:

I reckon Donkeystyle's got the hoody, sorry Erin, the attention to detail on that image, incredible. One would almost say that the designer is so attentive to detail that he's verging on being completely anal about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

He's definitely found the gap in the poke-her market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

seriously though the wet fingers on the guy are a little OTT :(

Do you have any preferences on shape, content, size, colours? I have no problems designing one for free, as i'm apart of various socs in college myself, and we live on handouts. Budgets are for booze ups and forged receipts, not spending on fancy logos. I'm guessing you must have computing students in DIT :D ,they'll know fireworks at least. Send an email around the college and you'll probably get loads of logos, tell them the winning logo design that is chosen the winner will get a free hoodie and the soc will pay them into the next poker tournament, you'll get loads if there's an incentive.

The wet fingers is what I was talking about re: detail. When you play poker seriously you get very stressed and sweat a lot. I'm pretty sure that's what Donkeystyle means by the sweaty palms.

i've attached a logo used for the DIT B&E Society that they used on hoodies and tshirts and it works very well, its subtle and effective. Its this kinda of logo i'm looking for. I'm only after noticing a thread a few lines down started by shoutman who is also in the soc about designing the ace of spades in photoshop, he is in the same soc so u can tell we're eager! :p if we lose a logo we'd definately give a hoodie to the designer... this would be minimum. i also like the idea of free entry into tournements.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

heres my attempt, its a vector so its infinatly scalabe and editable,
    12811114465.jpg
    those colour aren't correct, i just did an approx of DIT's branding colour scheme, i'll have to find them out
    if your happy with it i'll take a blank hoodie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

12811114465.jpg
    those colour aren't correct, i just did an approx of DIT's branding colour scheme, i'll have to find them out

nice work.

12811114465.jpg

i like this, and thank you for your effort, however, the detail may be too much for embroidery which would be a concern. Anyone know how detailed embroidery can be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Well if its a small soc witha limited budget, embroidery is going to work out very expensive.

well i'll simplyfy it down to b&w but like truckle said, embriodery is gonna rape your pockets of money. your better off getting them screenprinted, or even setting up an account with cafepress and getting the logo on loads of other stuff, if you want i could give you a hand with the cafe press things as the logo would need to be different sizes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newdesigner

You guys are pretty good!

some ott logo work
    13610420847.jpg
    it'd have to be screenprinted though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

some ott logo work
    13610420847.jpg
    TASTY !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

some ott logo work
    13610420847.jpg

Tis my favourite thus far, very classy :cool:
    It would look great on a stoney white t shirt I would say.

I got bored around the time that I should of been studying for my exams so I looked at making a Logo etc. Basically got photoshop and messed around with a few tutorials.
    I got as far as this:
    pokerlogonewcopy1tr.th.jpg
    and got bored.

However I did do my initials for fun which I feel is pretty sharp :p
    ltisgreat2dh.th.jpg

some ott logo work
    13610420847.jpg

i think we could screen print that on the front (or back) of 100+ tshirts!!! VERY VERY GOOD!

re embroidery: the place we get stuff liek hoodies and caps done is reasonably cheap and each item comes with free embroidery in one place.

let me know what format you want it in as the one posted is low res and has a few mistakes. if you want i have an idea or two where to put the logo, i could throw them up if you want.

• Advertisement

That would be great SpiderMonkey Cheers!

How long did it take you to do that might I ask?
    The grey effect around the logo is brilliant? You are really talented.

about thirty/forty minutes, i've plenty experience with all the relavent programs so i know how to get what i want without too much fiddling about. does this business have an online catolouge so i can see what or how the logo could be applied?

14012580978.jpg

14012491242.jpg

the placement on the hat is off centre, its a little bit more alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

some ott logo work
    13610420847.jpg

nice work. Take away the faded grainy stuff of the background, make it just black & white and you have a decent vectory image for any kind of printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

the placement on the hat is off centre, its a little bit more alternative.

great work... and those t-shirts looks class!

the original logo is a vector and then brought into photoshop and made dirty.

Those all look so amazing!

Do you do this professionally? Because man thats good.

Just one thing, its DIT Aungier Street, there's also a Bolton St poker society so is there anyway you could intergrete that into the logo? Like have Aungier St on it somewhere?

not yet im in college doing design at the moment. i'd rather be doing anything than studying for exams.:(

<QUOTE>Just one thing, its DIT Aungier Street, there's also a Bolton St poker society so is there anyway you could intergrete that into the logo? Like have Aungier St on it somewhere?</QUOTE>
    im not sure i understand, but there is two dit poker societies, one for aungier st and one for bolton street?
    do ye play together, or is it like ye're opposition, because you could sell to them too and make more money.
    just a tought.

We are totally seperate entitys.
    We don't play together at all but at the same time we wouldnt consider ourselves opponents, however I would say there is probably a small bit or rivalry between us, ie. Aungier St Poker soc is so much better then Bolton streets one.
    I really am that petty. :p

If we were to sell them all the money made would go straight to the societys coffers or we might even sell them at cost price depending on what the cost price will turn out to be.
    And Spidermonkey you get a free buy in to any event we run ;)

Maybe even just put Aungier St. Instead of players club. That way if Bolton St lads are looking for the same thing it will be easy enough to do.

• Advertisement

i have an a4 hi-res image (8.4mb,300dpi) with the logos on it pm me your email address and i'll send it your way.

the logo for the cap is a rough size, they should be able to resize it if need be.

Advertisement