Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam

• 07-05-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite Pearl Jam album?

Vitalogy for me. Just beats No Code with Riot Act in third place.

What do you think of dudes who own every live release?

What's your favourite Pearl Jam album? 69 votes

Ten
    0%
    Vs
    37%
    cournionimisedbnavanSeekerDeviousKeedowahKingp35glineOral SlangDroogieJohnnyrazIlacfortysixand2countymaquiladoraDavei141facemanMonkeyTenniskc66Doc_Savage 26 votes
    Vitalogy
    20%
    BosieKarl HungusGibletCreaturethetrickykidrevileandyMullieRozabeezseanironmaidenmuppetkillerParsleyBodhidharmapsilocybeJay P 14 votes
    No Code
    15%
    Mossy Monkbyte[Deleted User]Earthhorsenlgbbbblthtkyn22b0bsquish~Rebel~muletideBrother To Godcastagnoli 11 votes
    Yield
    8%
    Goodshapedead airtoxofmawkFuzzy_Dunlopcomatose 6 votes
    Binaural
    13%
    ShotgunblueZweemcdFozzyevad_lhorgarbeitsscheuerredmosquitoidontknowmynameNecronomiconNicky B 9 votes
    Riot Act
    4%
    PrezatchThe GnomeLivingDeadGirl 3 votes
    Pearl Jam
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No Code
    Ooh, topical.

Just bought Pearl Jam today and am on my second listen. Sounds good but I doubt it'd make my top three.

Vitalogy for me. If it weren't for heysexymophandlemama and bugs that album would be perfect.

Don't got much love for Binaural or Riot Act. The rest of their albums contain some great songs but as it stands Pearl Jam are the most brilliant but inconsistent band I listen to. They always have some pretty dodgy songs on their records.

I dunno about owning every show the band were at. I only own the Dublin Point show because I was at it and some Philadelphia show because it had some songs I didn't know on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

No Code
    I think Ten is their weakest by far.

Favourite song of theirs is Leash.
    Best chorus ever

'Get outta my f*ckin face'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Vs
    It has to be Ten for me - was up at the front in Slane in 93. The album was just so important for me!

I agree that Binaural and Riot Act aint the best.

Vitalogy is gret except for one or two mad inclusions - and No Code is fantastic.

New Album is superb - been listening to it for a week now - and it really is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yield
    Tough one. I'll say No Code for now... might change my mind next time I reach for an album though.

I really liked Yield for some reason, and thought Riot Act was class. It's got a different sound to it, which I apreciated. Don't like bands that just repeat themselves. Those two probably aren't as good as Vitalogy, Ten or No Code.. just thought I'd mention them as they often get brushed over when talking about Pearl Jam's best.

It took me a few listens to get into their new album, but it really is very very good. Actually, I think it was seeing them on Jools Holland that sealed the deal - unbelievable performance. Anyone else catch that?
    It has to be Ten for me - was up at the front in Slane in 93
    Heh... I was at that. Coincidentally, I was 'Ten' years old at the time. Didn't know who or what Pearl Jam was. Didn't care :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Vs
    Goodshape - yeah saw them on it and i think that sealed it for me too - great to see them playing live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yield
    yeah i decided to go for no code but to be honest it could be any of them. i disagree with what someone said about them being inconsistent. they are one of the most consistent bands imo, i dont think they have a bad album, i know a lot of people will say riot act and binaurul but i think these are both very good albums and grow on you. ok there are some dodgy songs but if you look at the sheer amount of songs in their catalogue, its not a bad show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No Code
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I think Ten is their weakest by far.

I think that title belongs to Binauaral. Ten has Oceans on it after all. I think the problem with a lot of the best songs on Ten, such as Alive and Evenflow, have been played to death and couldn't possibly impact us as much now as they did then.

If I started naming songs I'd be here all week although betterman, curduroy and Rearviewmirror are all up there.
    Goodshape wrote:
    I really liked Yield for some reason

I think Yield is one of those albums that's greater than the sum of its parts. Even though the best moments on No Code are probably better than the best on Yield I still feel that Yield is the better album.

@nlgbbbblth

Did you consider including Mirrorball on the list? It's not an official Pearl Jam release though apparently that was only for legal reasons. Personally I think it's pretty unlistenable but I must give it a second chance having recently acquired a test for Neil Youn.

The Merkinball single from the same era has two great songs on it.

No Code
    Earthhorse wrote:
    I@nlgbbbblth

Did you consider including Mirrorball on the list? It's not an official Pearl Jam release though apparently that was only for legal reasons. Personally I think it's pretty unlistenable but I must give it a second chance having recently acquired a test for Neil Youn.

The Merkinball single from the same era has two great songs on it.

Merkinball 45 is ace.

Mirror Ball I consider a NY LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yield
    And it's not very good Neil Young either. Might give it another listen though.. had forgotten about it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Binaural
    yield is their best by a mile imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No Code
    I too think Vitalogy was a fantastic album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jskellington

Vitalogy methinks, may soon be overtaken by new album. Gets better on each listen. BTW Think Lost Dogs should probably be listed. Some crackers on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

No Code
    I voted for Vitalogy but I honestly think they havent released a bad one yet. I quite like Binaural too, maybe thats cos it was one of the first albums of theirs I got into. Songs like Parting Ways, Insignificane and Grievance are as good as anything they have ever done.
    Vs is an amazing record too. Indifferance is a beautiful song. As you can tell, Im a sucker for the last track on all their albums, except Stupid Mop!
    Yield is probably the "worst" or least good album and its still great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Binaural
    Yield for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Binaural
    Its a toss between Vitalogy and Yield for me.
    IMO though, all PJ's albums are quality, a lot of bands would kill to have an album as good as any of PJ's (including Binaural, a couple of amazing songs on that one!).

No Code really seperates the wheat from the chaff though when it comes to PJ fans. Its an absolutely fantasic album.

I collect bootlegs (a LOT!), I listen to and watch a lot more live stuff then albums at the minute. I think buying loads of official bootlegs and trading older cd bootlegs and all dvd bootlegs is only for the die-hards and I can understand why some people wouldnt, but I need as much live Pearl Jam as I can get!!!!

No Code
    BTW Think Lost Dogs should probably be listed. Some crackers on that.

It's great and all - but it's a compilation and compilations are cheating.

No Code
    I collect bootlegs (a LOT!), I listen to and watch a lot more live stuff then albums at the minute. I think buying loads of official bootlegs and trading older cd bootlegs and all dvd bootlegs is only for the die-hards and I can understand why some people wouldnt, but I need as much live Pearl Jam as I can get!!!!

The only Pearl Jam bootlegs I own are Angry Love volumes 1 to 4.
    Pretty good.
    #1 has Ten outtakes, Dead Man Walking concert tracks and two Eddie Vedder tracks, one with Pete Townshend, other solo. 15 tracks
    #2 has Vs outtakes plus various Eddie Vedder solo, w/Sonic Youth, w/Ben Harper, at Ralph Nader rally and a couple of home demos. 18 tracks.
    #3 has 13 tracks from Bridge School Benefit gigs Oct 2001 with 6 more live ones from the concert for artists' rights. 19 tracks.
    #4 is the definitive Christmas 7" singles disc. 23 tracks.

No Code
    Try and get the second show in Seattle from the 2000 tour, it is absolutely phenomenal. Its the 3 disk album and the set list includes Go, Once, Crazy Mary, Immortality, Yellow Ledbetter and covers of The Kids Are Alright and Baba O'Reily. They open the set with Release, can you ask for better?
    I bought it in New York, Ive never seen it in Ireland though.

No Code
    castagnoli wrote:
    Try and get the second show in Seattle from the 2000 tour, it is absolutely phenomenal. Its the 3 disk album and the set list includes Go, Once, Crazy Mary, Immortality, Yellow Ledbetter and covers of The Kids Are Alright and Baba O'Reily. They open the set with Release, can you ask for better?
    I bought it in New York, Ive never seen it in Ireland though.

Is that one of the official 2000 live releases?

I have the Mansfield Massachusetts 11 July 2003 one. Fantastic 3 disc set.

No Code
    vitalogy
    then yeild

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Binaural
    nlgbbbblth wrote:

Here's some unnoficial yet great pre 2000 boots you need to hear:

-18/6/92 Zurich - Crazy show, maybe just the best 'Porch' ever
    -3/4/94 Atlanta - Unbelievable show, near full show comprises the 3-disc dissident single, but the download has it all. Also mention, maybe just the best 'Porch' ever
    -12/4/94 Boston - Set list picked by the bands crew, rare songs, 'Yellow Ledbetter' played well before the end, finishes with a combo of 'Small Town' and a 16 minute version of 'Ive Got a Feeling'
    -17/3/95 Melbourne - Savage show, ends with Dave Grohl on drums for a fantastic 'Rockin in the free world'
    -11/7/95 Chicago - Probably the bands most famous show, 3 hours, evreybody is fully on, Vedder's voice is shredded yet still an amazing show. Oh, and it has the best 'Let My Love Open the Door' which IMO is one of their best covers!
    - 29/9/96 New York - Wild crowd, their longest show until 2003 (just over 3 hours, 32 songs) as well as Eddies famous 'you are somebody' speech in a long 'Porch
    - 5/3/98 Melbourne - Another savage set, made me fall in love with 'In My Tree', it really has to be heard! Band was solid throughout, check it out!
    - 11/9/98 New York - 98 was a great tour, this was IMO the highlight. The band themselves even knew the had probably just played one of their greatest shows of their lives. The return of 'Breath', everything was absolutely perfect (especially after the shambles that was the night before, a lot of technical difficulties!) and a grandstand finish: A scorching 'Baba O'Riley', 'Indifference' with Ben Harper and 'Alive' to close!!!!

There are a lot of other great shows, pre official bootleg era, not mentioned here but these are the most famous. I strongly encourage to get even a couple of these, if you haven't heard any of these you are missing out on some essential Pearl Jam.

As for bootleg dvds, ill go into detail about them another time!

No Code
    nlgbbbblth wrote:

Yeah. Its rare as **** though. Heres a link to the setlist
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:o4620r6ai48v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

for me it's near impossible to single out one album as my fav.
    I love all of them equally,I was 17 when ten was released & that album really had a big impact on me,VS is a masterpiece,not 1 bad song on it,vitology is let down by bugs & heyfoxy... ,no code is magical have a lot of personal reasons why I love this album,involving a beautiful lady :)
    yield has a few patchy songs ie...no way & push me pull me,had a listen to binaural recently & its a very underated album,really good songs.
    riot act is the weakest album by a long way.as for the new album,well I love it,its in my top 3 pearl jam albums,not 1 bad song on it.
    roll on the 23 august :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I got into Pearl Jam fairly late, so I got all of their albums at once. Kinda meshed into one album... so I have favorite songs, but I don't know what album they're from cuz I dont bother to find out... maybe I should.

Love the new album... so voted for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Vitalogy
    Vs, but I love Riot Act, Vitalogy, No Code...wow I just love them all, they're great, Live In Benaroya Hall is teh sex!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Rozabeez wrote:
    Vs, but I love Riot Act, Vitalogy, No Code...wow I just love them all, they're great, Live In Benaroya Hall is teh sex!
    Yes they are.

And so are you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No Code
    I said Vitology as could only pick one, but in reality in 1st place would have Vitalogy, Vs and Ten, then slightly, very very slightly behind would have No Code, then Yield, then a fairly substantial gap then Pearl Jam (its grand and everything but just lacks the soul of the older ones i find, theres just something not there that offsets it from the better ones. Also no songs on it really grab me like Corduroy, Daughter, Betterman, Alive, Present Tense and many many other songs) then i guess binaural and riot act joint last (though still like them, just not madly in love with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ilac

Vs
    I'm finding it hard to choose a favourite. The only one that stands out as an album I never really got into is Vitalogy. I can't understand why - there's so many class songs on it - Corduroy, Nothingman, Not for You etc - I just didn't get into the album as a whole. I will give it another go at some stsge.

I'd also have difficulty choosing a favourite Pearl Jam song. In fact, a top 10 would be tricky. Roll on August :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Vs
    No Code is seriously under-rated, and for the life of me I cannot understand why. It's true that Ten & Vs. are fantastic albums but No Code contains some of the bands absolute best work : In My Tree / Smile / Off He Goes / Present Tense.

For me the weakest albums are Binaural and Riot Act, but even then they have some great songs, just less the than the others.

Also...has anyone else noticed now after repeated listens over a good period of time now that the new self titled album seems to fit really well amid the older albums such as Vs. and Vitalogy, its like as if they share the same soundscapes and mood while not being carbon copies. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Live on Two Legs is my fave Pearl Jam release, Matt Cameron is deadly on every track. My fave studio album would be Ten tho

Advertisement