Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike license - can anyone help?

• 07-05-2006 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey everyone!

Maybe one of you can help me!

I have an EU license and i wanna do my bike license here i irland now. does that mean i have to change my Austrian to an Irish before?

are there any websites that might give information? or where could i find out?

Thanks!

CG

Comments

I dont know anything about that offhand but you could try a search on http://oasis.gov.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CrazyGirl

thanks! i'll have a look!

i would do the test and all that for the bike in austria if they wouldn't have changed everything and it would all in all take to much time i would have to spend in austria. i should just have done the test again 9 years ago *lol*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

CrazyGirl wrote:
    Hey everyone!

Maybe one of you can help me!

I have an EU license and i wanna do my bike license here i irland now. does that mean i have to change my Austrian to an Irish before?

are there any websites that might give information? or where could i find out?

Thanks!

CG
    Wie geht's?! There is no need to convert your Austrian (I presume category B?) licence to irish. Just apply for the theory test, get the book/CD (maybe an irish friend has one they can lend you or if you are in Dublin you can have mine as I won't ever need it again!) and study for it (it's very easy). Do the test and then you can apply for a provisional (learner) licence. You can then get insurance and ride bikes up to 25kW (33PS) or 0.16kW/KG.

You will need to do the test on a bike with a motor greater than 125cc to get a full A licence. If you did the test on a bike less than 125cc (ie, all 125s!) you would only get an A1 licence. If you are not going to buy a bike here then your instructor will tell you all you need to know.

You should apply for the practical test as soon as possible as the waiting time is VERY long (some places over 1 year!!!). If you are in/near Dublin you should apply to the Raheny test centre for a faster test date!

Oh, and get some lessons from an instructor to make sure you pass! The test itself is very easy compared to most European countries but you could still make a simple mistake.

Get a copy of the Rules of the Road book and learn them before you do anything.

Any more questions? just ask us! :)

Thanks a lot that helps a lot!!

I've seen the cd and the book for the theory test and it's so much easier than in Austria!!

I'm still not sure if I will do it but i know what to do now. The last time i've driven a bike was 9 years ago! I loved it!!

About getting a bike or that i don't have to worry my boyfriend will sort that out for me:D

Thanks again for that information!!!

one more question! On my car insurance policy i'm allowed to drive bikes as long as they not registered to my name. does that mean that i could drive someone elses bike with the provisional?
    The insurance thing here in ireland is very confusing i have to say! and very expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

CrazyGirl wrote:
    one more question! On my car insurance policy i'm allowed to drive bikes as long as they not registered to my name.
    Is it an irish insurance policy or an austrian one? As far as I know no irish car policies state this anymore but I could be wrong.
    CrazyGirl wrote:
    does that mean that i could drive someone elses bike with the provisional?
    Usually not. Such policies usually stipulate that you posess a full licence to do that I'm afraid! You would have to check that very carefully with your insurance company.
    CrazyGirl wrote:
    The insurance thing here in ireland is very confusing i have to say! and very expensive!
    It's actually quite simple. There are only 2 companies that will insure you on a bike!

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    Is it an irish insurance policy or an austrian one? As far as I know no irish car policies state this anymore but I could be wrong.

it is an irish car policy and it says it in it.
    murphaph wrote:
    Usually not. Such policies usually stipulate that you posess a full licence to do that I'm afraid! You would have to check that very carefully with your insurance company.

That doesn't matter was just wondering.i won't get a bike straight away anyway.

murphaph wrote:
    It's actually quite simple. There are only 2 companies that will insure you on a bike!

i know that.my bf is giving out all the time! I just mean in general it is more complicated than in austria!

Advertisement