Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UTV to bid for SMG?

• 07-05-2006 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,109 ✭✭✭✭

According to the Sunday Times, UTV are preparing a bid for SMG (Scottish/Grampian TV, Virgin Radio, some production companies and billboard/cinema advertising sales); as well as continuing to chase down TV3: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2769-2168282,00.html

Getting hold of SMG would leave UTV in a far stronger position against ITV Plc bullying and in a better way to acquire or make content for TV3 if they get it and ITV Plc pulls the plug on the current imports. But how the hell can they afford both of them? Going to be well over half a billion euro between the two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This one crops up from time to time... UTV taking over SMG... can't see that happening now, if it didn't occur before UTV took over the Wireless Group. SMG have been a take over target for some time now..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm not sure how it improves their position to make TV for Ireland (unless you mean they'll import shows made by Scottish TV etc, but even that wouldn't work too well IMO), but will certainly make them a huge player in Ireland and the UK if they pull it off; not to pretend that they're not already a fairly big deal already!

I thought SMG owned Today FM... which company is that (Scottish Holdings PLC or something?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,109 ✭✭✭✭L1011

it -was- Scottish Radio Holdings, but they were bought by Emap. TodayFM, FM104 and Highland were their Irish interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

flogen wrote:
    (unless you mean they'll import shows made by Scottish TV etc,

Scottish TV imports...hmmm... That will be the sum parts of Taggart and Scotsport then... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

If UTV buy both TV3 and SMG it will tie up all three companies in a nice little bow for ITV to buy later :D

• Advertisement

If UTV buy both TV3 and SMG it will tie up all three companies in a nice little bow for ITV to buy later :D

Resulting firm would be too big, and an unattractive takeover target with gobs of radio, advertising and a bloody ISP attached...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

MYOB wrote:
    Resulting firm would be too big, and an unattractive takeover target with gobs of radio, advertising and a bloody ISP attached...

Eh, No, the idea is they would hold on to the non TV side of things and pocket the money from the sale of the TV side of things. The RAJAR figures are out this week, it'll be interesting to see how much of a dent U105 has made in the Belfast market.

SRB wrote:
    Eh, No, the idea is they would hold on to the non TV side of things and pocket the money from the sale of the TV side of things. The RAJAR figures are out this week, it'll be interesting to see how much of a dent U105 has made in the Belfast market.

Considering UTVs biggest money maker is still the TV division and they're bidding for... another TV channel (TV3) that has no non-TV assets, I can't see them buying SMG to sell the TV to ITV plc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

MYOB wrote:
    Considering UTVs biggest money maker is still the TV division and they're bidding for... another TV channel (TV3) that has no non-TV assets, I can't see them buying SMG to sell the TV to ITV plc.

I think the point is that they're growing their non-TV assets at a higher rate than their TV assets; if they bought SMG and TV3 they'd own 3/4 tv channels but how many non-TV assets (Radio - 25&3 from SMG, then ISP and Phone, and the additional companies from SMG).

I think any potential TV deal, with or without TV3/SMG, is a few years away though; I think they'll expand their RoI radio operations first, not to mention their NI ones, which only stands at 1/2 so far (can you get talksport in NI?)... I think a buyout of TV3 would be a nice platform for them to extend their RoI base.

Its on Freeview and satellite there as well as AM - so only slightly more "gettable" than in Ireland - as its on AM and satellite here too. Not on DAB up there I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Yes, being a UK National station Talksport is available in NI.
    My point is that the "easy money" days of the Channel 3 analogue franchise in the UK are now gone. UTV knows this and is simply waiting for the "right price" to off load the NI TV service to ITV. As I said in a thread elsewhere, I think they may well buy TV3 and run it alongside UTV until the programme agreement expires, then sell both to ITV. They have "thought about" SMG before, and if they do got for it, I'd imagine it'll be for the radio stations.

Advertisement