Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So how was it for you?

• 07-05-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Liverpool have had a great season, a 27 point increase on last year and finishing within close sight of Chelsea. Pity about the slowwwww start, Europe was a disapointment and pointed to a lack of depth at times not to mention a lack of goals and yet here we are with 101 goals scored so far with a few more next Saturday me hopes.

Signing Robbie Fowler was the smartest move of the season I think, free and willing to "live like a monk" to play for a new contract it worked a treat. 5 goals given and the ability to help Mori and Crouch be more effective bodes well for next season.

The signings during the season are promising with a whole new back-line either signed or nearly done so, plus Speedy Gonzales to arrive in July with any luck (though that remains a slight doubt. It could be Jan '07 before he is able to play). A right winger and a new striker remain the outstanding tasks for Rafa this summer while shifting the dead wood, most of which is on loan will have to happen to raise a few million for the tranfer kitty.

Roll on Cardiff.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If you'd told me at the beginning of the season that Arsenal would finish 4th and be in the Champions League final at the end of the season I probably would have taken that. Their worst league performance in about a decade but they've finally got somewhere in Europe. If they win against Barca it'll be their most succesful season ever.

In terms of signings, Hleb has been ok. Poor start but came good near the end. Still not the full package by any means though. Diaby looked good before he broke his ankle. Adebayor, I'm not convinced. Waste of money I'd say. Walcott? Who knows. Song, please just go away. If Henry stays (I think he will, I think it was about playing in the Champions League next season the whole time) then Arsenal have a bright future with the emergence of players like Eboue Senderos and Fabregas. Van Persie had an excellent middle of the season before getting injured. Clichy is an excellent left back and I think if Cole wants to piss off to Chelsea Clichy will have no problem filling in at left back. Lehmann has been excellent but will need to be replaced fairly soon. Toure was a rock this season, one of the best centre backs in the premiership.

Roll on Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Delighted with European football next year. :)

Distraught with losing 4th place on the last day. :(

;)

Here's hoping the team and management have learnt valuable lessons this season, I really feel we were our own worst enemies for a lot of the season. Resting first team players in our 2nd game of the season (against Blackburn) so they'll be fresh for our next game at home to Chelsea? You get the same number of points for beating Blackburn as you do for beating Chelsea chaps! Defending too deep with a one goal lead cost us a lot of the points this year, at home to West Ham/Arsenal, away to Sunderland/Arsenal/Chelsea (well a 1-1 at Chelsea).

I do feel we've a huge amount to build on, the core of the side is young and hugely talented, but there are a couple of areas we need to strengthen. A full back (to replace Stalteri), a left-sided midfielder and a striker to partner Keane will do. I don't ask for much.

Oh, and as few changes to the match schedule as possible, I renewed my season ticket and it'll cost me a fortune in flights. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't know how you could describe United's season. From August to Christmas it was a nightmare which I kept hoping I'd wake up from, but I think the team recovered well to have a decent second half to the season.
    To finish bottom of the group in the Champion's League was a disaster, European form was absolutely woeful. By that stage Chelsea were already running away with the league, so from then it just seemed like we should be burying our heads until the start of the next campaign. Keane had left, we had a big gaping hole in the midfield that really could have been filled by any half-decent midfielder.
    From Christmas onwards there was some cause for optimism. Winning the Carling Cup good (cue the masses of people saying it was worthless, silverware is silverware). Going out of the FA Cup was a major disappointment, but the team finally found a bit of consistency in the league.
    Chelsea's blip left the back door opened ajar for United to cause an upset, but in the end it wasn't a big enough blip. But still, to be within arms' reach was nice, just to be talked about in the title situation again. I think it gave hope not just to United, but to others like Liverpool and Arsenal that Chelsea can be beaten.
    To finish on 83 points isn't something to be ashamed of by any means, in fact it was the points tally United finished with in 02/03 (last time we won the league). I don't think the team is a hundred miles from Chelsea, I really believe that a few signings in the summer could bridge the gap.
    Hopefully the title run-in will be better contested next season, we're due a good one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ill have a better idea on Leeds season tomorrow night after the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

West Ham and Wigan breathed some life into an otherwise dull season rom outside the top 4s pov. Both tried to play football and were rewarded by not only staying up but both getting to cup finals. Both deserve to be teams of the season.

Chelsea won the league well done etc etc:

Man Utd flattered to decieve got a decent run going and in the end inability to kill teams when it mattered ended there challenge. Never really replaced Keane at the start of the season, he wasnt great when he did play. That left Rooney with too much pressure to win games and it didnt work as they had no midfield driving force only Rooney working his ass off and Saha and RVN both banging in goals.

Liverpool played the "look what we did wrong last season "card and it worked they didnt drop many points to anyone and overall possibly their best ever PL campaign, a record 9 or 10 wins in a row and afaik biggest points tally ever in PL. Just badly needed a striker and relied to heavily on Gerrard to win them games.

Arsenal Imo set out at the start of the season to win the CL and left the PL as a 2nd priority, eventually the team did click not winning away much and only getting the best out of the players in the CL was what i think the manager knew would happen with Viera gone and a new team to blood in. Worked tho they 4th by the skin of their teeth and in the CL final. Great season for them no matter what happens.

Spurs had a very good season but inability to win games that mattered killed them, their last 3 defeats against teams they should really be beating was the problem. Jol will possibly play Fm2006 again and sign 11 players or something so wouldnt have much hope for them next season as he changes the team every 6 months and atm they possibly 1 player short of a CL team. Carrick will get better Davids will be gone and they need an out an out striker.

Blackburn were the team on the up, gained a lot of places from last seasons finish. By playing what some call thuggish football, but really the players just work hard as a team just do what they are told. They try stop other teams playing then build on that to beat them. Im sure some fans will point to stupid defeats to lower placed teams that could had them hovering around 4th a bit more. Still a good season and with no financial needs to sell, they can build on it with a decent partner for Bellamy.

More later from a non fan of any of the above or below teams :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

gutted re spurs! GUTTED!! :( but europe is great!! :)

some interesting facts from the season... these are rumours i heard and i've no idea if they are acurate.

1. if the season was played over 80 minutes spurs would have finished level on points with liverpool
    2. thierry henry scored more goals than sunderland
    3. portsmouth form under redknapp was good enough for european football.
    4. arsenal were the best team in second halves all season.

i particularly like the 2nd stat, although i dislike arsenal! COME ON BARCA! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Heartbroken after today's result but all in all it has been a good season for spurs. We have a bright future under Jol with such a young team. There seems to be a great team spirit and a great athmosphere around the club now. We need to change a few things though. We definitely need to replace Stalteri. We need another striker to provide Mido with some competition and we need a left sided midfielder. Hopefully we can be up there challenging for a CL spot next season and can win the uefa cup :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kingp35 wrote:
    Ill have a better idea on Leeds season tomorrow night after the match.

That pretty much sums it up all right. It was tough going sitting through it on Friday night, and it's going to be even worse tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There is the fear, though, that Chelsea will spent 60 or 70 mill during the seaons and come back and stretch the gap again.

As regards, Pool/United, the signings are going to be VERY interesting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United's season has been a disappointment overall.

Rather than a transition season, we've had a semi-transition season.

While the re-emergence of Saha has been nice to see,
    young players who needed to break through but didn't such as Richardson, Rossi, and Jones(although he has been loaned) did not.
    New signings VDS and Park have proved a success, but VDS will at most have another 2 years, so we'll have to replace him again.

Vidic has shown some potential, but I think he is going to do great.
    Evra has not done well at all, found it very hard to adjust to the premiership, but is I think is a huge talent and I hope he comes through next season.

Overall, only one of the previous players developed beyond their previous level, and 2 out of 4 of the signings have done very well, and one has done reasonably well.

United's problem at the start of the season was midfield, completely and utterly. People said we lost Keano and Scholes, but big deal, Keano and Scholes were in midfield when we lost the premiership 10 games in.
    The midfield needs to be replaced and Fergie knows it.
    Europe was decided completely in midfield, as we just came up against too much class there to compete.
    The games where we dropped points or lost were all down to our midfield being overrun.

This is what needs to be solved and the entire world knows it.

The last game gave me some hope.
    Richardson got MOM and a goal, well deserved. He could finally take his rightful place as Giggs understudy next season, hopefully.
    Rossi tried hard but got no luck, but is now shown as somebody Fergie wants to take seriously.
    Jones had an incredible season on loan, playing stellar for Preston and NEC.
    Also Bardsley proved he has what it takes to take over from Neville in time.

Fletcher will be shipped off, this is clear to all.
    O'Shea will become a utility player completely.

Scholes and Ole will play a part next season, but how effectivly who knows.

Overall, I think this season has been a bit disappointing, and I fear ever with the purchases of 2 top quality midfield players, with the loss of Ruud(which now seems definite), and his replacement, we will have too much new blood to effectivly hit the ground running.
    I think next year could be another transitional year again for United, with Rossi, Jones, Pique, and Richardson beginning to make their mark, but not enough to keep up with Chelsea in the league.

So I feel this year has been wasted :/

But it's been fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Really really happy with this season.. It was shame we were knocked of the CL by Benfica but sure thats life.. Pipping United at the post would have been the icing on the cake but finishing in third place, 9 points behind Chelsea and 15 ahead of 4th, is a big step for the club and very positive.

The return of Robbie Fowler was one of the happiest moments of the year and am delighted he has been offered a year extension.

Going forward next season, I would like Liverpool to make the 2 or 3 major signings that will strengthen the first team with the soul intention of providing a genuine threat to Chelsea next season. The key will be trying to remain very tight at the back while netting more goals. I know it is the most obvious statment of the year but sure..

I am also delighted that Arsenal have made it so far in the CL this season and I genuinely hope they win it. It will give English football a major boost, give Chelsea another slap in the face and hopefully be the clincher in the whole Henry will he or won't he affair. Even as a supporter of another club, it would be sad to see Henry leave the PL.

Here's to a tighter season next year with more teams than ever competing for silverwear. Even if Chelsea spend 50 or 60 million I think their mindset and tactics will prevent them improving any great amount. Arsenal, United and Liverpool on the other hand all have obvious weak points that can be addressed with 2 or 3 signings that will potentially bring them on par with Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

IMO Manchester United's season = one big snooze

Ok we finished 2nd and won the Carling Cup (hardly disasterous by all means) but in my 14 years of being a Man Utd fan I'll remember 2005/2006 as being their worst.

We are in decline. 2nd place may sound ok but IMO the sole reason we finished in 2nd is down to the fact that the teams around us have got worse and that overall the Premiership's standard has dropped considerably in the past 3 years. Our diablocial performances in the Champions League this season proves how badly Manchester United have declined in comparison to previous seasons. We are no longer a European threat.

Very few players have impressed me or have shown that they have the passion and desire to play for Manchester United. Wayne Rooney has been on another planet footballing wise. Yes he has talent in abundance and more so than any other player but also he quite simply pisses all over the other players with regards to effort, passion and commitment. If every Man Utd player put in half the effort he does with might have just about taken Chelsea to the wire. We rely way too much on him.

Our singings have been mixed. Van Der Sar has been excellent, Park has had a decent first season. However I'm doubtful of Vidic and Evra, neither have shown that world class factor we need so badly in defence.

Most of the United team have had average seasons (Giggs, Van Nistelrooy) but Wes Brown has been outstanding IMO, one of the few plusses. Thumbs down from me goes to Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Silvestre.

The soon to be departure of Ruud Van Nistelrooy worries me. Fegusons iron fist has ruled again, his ego comes before the club. Letting Stam and Beckham go due to Ferguson has set us back many years...... I feel Ferguson's time and ego has past him, for United's sake we need to move on and so does he.

I'm scared of next season. We need a massive financial injection to have a hope of challenging for the title and the Champions League. Defence and Midfield need to be rebuilt and we need a replacement for Ruud.... I don't beleive we have the money to do any of this so I expect United to be in further freefall next season.

Phew I'm so glad this season is over! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

As a Saints fan it was a disappointing season overall. We just idnt get going and our lack of firepower really shone through. The change of manager didnt hel but Burley has done a decent enough job and we started to show some decent form towards the end of the season. I think we have a decent chance at achieving something next season with the way the team finished off the season. Here's hoping:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blackburn supporter ::

Absolutely Delighted. After a couple of seasons of battling with relegation to come forward and finish in 6th place is phenomenal, makes the last few years of watching them play crap seem so worthwhile! :D

Star Performers ::

Pederson, best winger in the league, no doubt ;)
    Reid has been awesome in the centre of the park
    Bellamy, Friedel, Savage ( what a savage player! ) and.. Gah...all of them! lol :)
    Sparky! Legend!

Very proud of the teams performance this year.

A lot to look forward to for next year! UEFA Cup Football! :D
    Just need sparky to make a couple of shrewd signings, nothing extravegant, e.g. Nelson, etc :) and we can really push for a champions league place for next season :)

Well Chuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Something of an anti climax for me as a Chelsea fan, winning back to back titles , indeed winning one title , would have seemed an impossible dream for all of my Chelsea supporting life and then we win 2 in a row. I guess football fans are never satisfied, the season would have been more interesting if there had been real competition in the league but the nerves / dread I used to suffer when playing Man U and Arsenal over the years were gone, replaced by expectation of a win, though taking 6 points off the gooners is always worthy of a bit of rejoicing ! Even as I get used to winning games I found myself wishing we were winning by more, as though goals were a new narcotic for me, after putting 4 past Liverpool, 5 past Bolton and 4 past Betis in 3 games I was utterly pished off coming away with a draw at Everton and getting increasingly aggitated with our 1-0 wins against inferior opposition. I suppose I am used to the old chelsea for whom a 1-0 lead was usually nicked in the dying minutes, its taking a lot to get used to this winning business.

Although delighted with another league win and content to defend my team and its manager from the near universal hatred we seem to now enjoy , I do feel a little annoyed that we were the authors of our own downfall against the scousers in the cup (the rivalry with liverpool is certainly reaching new heights at every meeting) when we have proved that we have the beating of them. I can't truly moan about going out of the CL to Barca, an outstanding team that I have been priviledged to watch us beat in the past , but always a footballing treat to watch Ronaldinho and the boys in action.

Now I want a European Cup !!! :D

Advertisement