Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Broadband Provider - Irish Broadband?

• 07-05-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    if anybody is contemplating on signing up with Irish broadband then they may need to think again.

Not a case of sour grapes but I’ve been continually burned by their incorrect billing, lack of service and their customer service which is impossible to get through to.
    Lack of wireless service even though I'm still being billed for their ripwave service.
    Attempting to get through to their customer service department to explain my case - Left on hold for 45 minutes several times. Felt like a bit of an ejeet so had to hang up seeing that the call was not a free phone number.

Oh and when you give them a credit card number to sign up according to the credit card company once you give them authority on your account you cannot remove.
    I'm pretty much screwed by them and if I can will definitely be avoiding them like the plague.

Don't say you haven't been warned!

Yours truly
    Still a Dialup user.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Welcome to Boards.
    And also welcome to the IBB screwed customers club.

Make sure ya have a good read of this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317375

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Last week it was so good. I got Eircom broadband installed, after having an intial scare of the modem arriving a day before I was switched over at the exchange, but when I was sure it was working, I rang IBB and asked what do I do to cancel their crappy service. I was put through to customer 'lack of' service, and true, they are a lot more mannerly, but I wish they would stop pretending that nothing is wrong only to admit a week later that they were in fact having problems. Anyway, jumped in to the car, across the road from Microsoft in the Sandyford Ind estate, in the red brick buildings that house AIB with the Banklink facility, just a few yards away are all the IBB tech support people all busily on calls to disgruntled customers. I sniggered smugly to myself, saying to myself, never will I have to speak to these muppets again. I returned their Ripwave and got a signature to prove I returned it. I wonder at the beginning of June will I be billed by IBB? I am having nightmares, after 18 months of ringing them, I can't believe that I will not at least have to make one more call to tell them again that I don't have their service and to leave me alone. Eircom is working out fine if a little bit steep for what you are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wonder at the beginning of June will I be billed by IBB?
    No one in this country seems to realise that they can (and should) cancel the direct debit with the bank when they end a service contract like this. All it takes is one letter and there'll be no more billing worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

They charge by Credit Card and it is not possible for me to cancel the arrangement with MY credit card company. It is up to them (IBB) to cancel I'm afraid. Daft as it seems, I rang Visa and they told me to keep any documentation I had of cancellation and they would use this to charge back in the event of any 'errors'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

report to the bank you lost your cc. they will issue a new one which has new deails and ibb cant touch because you didnt authorise them to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

gordonnet wrote:
    report to the bank you lost your cc. they will issue a new one which has new deails and ibb cant touch because you didnt authorise them to

Simple but effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They charge by Credit Card and it is not possible for me to cancel the arrangement with MY credit card company.
    Seems to depend on credit card agency as to whether this is possible. I know a guy who was with IBB and had his credit card with AIB. He cancelled it no problem and even got a call from AIB when IBB went to charge his card the next month.

If IBB do charge your card, ring your providor straight away and issue a charge reversal for the unauthorised charge. Then ring IBB and inform them that any more illegal transactions on your card will result in a fraud charge being made against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bobbysands

Hi,
    Requesting a new credit card will accomplish nothing.
    Irish broadband bill based on the associated account.
    If you get a new credit card they can still bill your account as the account is the same.

Even if you close your credit card account and open a new one with the same provider, your credit card provider will transfer IBB authorisation to your new account. So they can still carry on billing you.
    I was told this is a visa procedure and there is nothing the card provider can do to prevent this.

I've been down this route with IBB.
    Currently I have phoned my card provider to close my credit card account.
    In addition I sent my card provider a registered letter stating that I will not be responsible for any further charges on my account.
    I am currently in the process of getting a credit card from an alternative provider.

I'm sure I haven't heard the end of IBB yet..

The struggle to shake the IBB monkey off my back continues.

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

IBB are great IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

IBB are great IMO :)

Agreed.. Nearly 2 years now and perfect 99% of the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Concidering i download ~1.5-2Gb a day at the attached speed 90% of the time on a 2Mb connection there isnt really a lot more i could ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

stay away from Clearwire!!
    Absolute joke!

Advertisement