Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

• 07-05-2006 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I just listened to Muse's new song (Supermassive Blackhole) due out in a couple of weeks.
    And I just thought I'd point out that it's freakin' great! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

where did you hear it? me wanty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

If I told you i'd be breaking rules.

But to give you an idea of what it's like... It's nothing like what they've done before. It's starts off sounding pretty similar to Time Is Running Out in terms of it's funkiness. But to be fair it sounds a lot more poppier and catchier than anything else they've ever done, and very upbeat.

Almost reminds me of Scissor Sisters but with a sh*tload of fuzz pedals put through it. Don't let that put you off though. It's awesome! Although I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell the lyrics are about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

dammit when i heard that they were gonna shock people by changing their style i was hoping theyd get heavier coz i could have sworn that i heard dom play double bass on the sound check clip on muse.mu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oh I hate the song!

I thought Matt was taking the piss with talk of a disco direction but he wasn't, this song sounds like something a funky/pop/rock boyband would come out with.

I'm a big Muse fan but this song is shockingly poor. If the new album is just like this I'll cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Oh I hate the song
    I'm a big Muse fan but this song is shockingly poor. If the new album is just like this I'll cry.
    I hated it at first. But it really really is growing on me.

Space shields melting in the dead of night.......... such a messed up image :D

Anyway the alb won't sound like this.
    MATT BELLAMY on Supermassive Black Hole: "It’s the most different to anything we’ve ever done. We’ve had some Belgian influences: Millionaire, dEUS, Evil Superstars, Soulwax… These groups were the first to mix R&B rhythms with alternative guitar. We’ve added a bit of Prince and Kanye West. The drumbeat isn’t rocky, with Rage Against The Machine riffs underneath. We’ve mixed a lot of things in this track, with a bit of electronica; it’s different, slow, quite funny…”"

The single is for sale Tuesday on Muse.mu with artwork & b-side.

They're just releasing this to shift a few albums i reckon. They haven't sold that well at first usually. Then they end up in classic album sales in HMV for €7. The rest of the album will be juicy muse goodness :)

• Advertisement

I hated it at first. But it really really is growing on me.

Space shields melting in the dead of night.......... such a messed up image :D

Isn't it 'Glaciers melting in the dead of night'?
    It would make more sense.

As for album sales. Absolution went straight to number 1 in the UK album charts on the first week of it's release. Some how I don't think they would really need a techno song to boost their sales or popularity

Oeneus wrote:
    Isn't it 'Glaciers melting in the dead of night'?
    It would make more sense.

As for album sales. Absolution went straight to number 1 in the UK album charts on the first week of it's release. Some how I don't think they would really need a techno song to boost their sales or popularity
    No lyrics are here.
    Yeah Absolution went to number 1 in the UK at first but within 2 weeks it was out of the top 10. It didn't last that long in the charts.

Have you heard the song? Because I assure you its not Space Shields. Sounds nothing like it. Trust me. I think it's glaciers.

Maybe all will be revealed when the single goes on sale tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Oeneus wrote:
    Have you heard the song? Because I assure you its not Space Shields. Sounds nothing like it. Trust me. I think it's glaciers.

yeah im pretty sure its glaciers, i dont see how it could be "space shields", has to be glaciers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

He Matt Bellamy taken leave of his testicles? I can't get into the falsetto at all.

As an aside, after the Tool pre-release fiasco is this even permissable discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Speaking as a muse fan...that song sucked balls....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

kodute wrote:
    Speaking as a muse fan...that song sucked balls....:(
    Speaking as a Muse fan I can say that this guy is nuts. The song is kick ass. And it's definately glaciers by the way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Was disappointed with the last muse album. It had some great songs on it but the majority of it i would skip through. probably wont be buying this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Speaking as a Muse fan I can say that this guy is nuts. The song is kick ass. And it's definately glaciers by the way :P

This song is like something the scissor sisters would come up with while high. Overall poppy sound that is sure to be number one cos every nonce in the country will buy it.
    Matt Bellamy, shame on you! I suppose every genius is allowed one slip up...

I dont think it's amazing but it's definately catchy. I've been listening to it on repeat now and Im really starting to like it. That said I hope the whole album isn't really like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

He Matt Bellamy taken leave of his testicles? I can't get into the falsetto at all.

Have you listened to any other of their albums? Matthew has always had a very high range vocally...Have you listened to Microcuts on Origin of Symmetry? thats a high voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Oeneus wrote:
    Its obviously glaciers, I can't understand how anyone would think its anything else. Its grown on me slightly but I still don't like it very much.

It is very different to the rest of the album though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

its taken me a few listens but the song has grown on me and i now think that its great. Can't wait to hear crying shame!

• Advertisement

dimerocks wrote:
    its taken me a few listens but the song has grown on me and i now think that its great. Can't wait to hear crying shame!

I totally forgot about Crying Shame actually, as well as 3 other songs that they were playing during the American tour. That technically means I've probably heard half of the bloody album already. They were amazing songs though.

I don't think Crying Shame made it to the album

I don't think Crying Shame made it to the album
    Might have a different name. Crying Shame was probably a working title.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Might have a different name. Crying Shame was probably a working title.
    It might but i've heard an audio interview with Chris and a French article aswell recently. It wasn't mentioned as one they had played on the US tour.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It is very different to the rest of the album though.
    Have you listened to the album?

I doubt he has. But to be fair he's probably right.

I remember when Stockholm Syndrome came out, I was thinking "My God, Muse have turned metal!", but when the album came out, it wasn't necessarily the case.

Plus, you'll never know. Supermassive Blackhole could end up being the most insanely heavy number when they play it live.

I've heard about six of the tracks off it (live versions), plus I'm going by what Matt has said about SMBH:

"It’s the most different to anything we’ve ever done. We’ve had some Belgian influences: Millionaire, dEUS, Evil Superstars, Soulwax… These groups were the first to mix R&B rhythms with alternative guitar. We’ve added a bit of Prince and Kanye West. The drumbeat isn’t rocky, with Rage Against The Machine riffs underneath. We’ve mixed a lot of things in this track, with a bit of electronica; it’s different, slow, quite funny…"

Didn't realise there was no link to the song here. Here you go:

http://mapage.noos.fr/museandamuse2/smbh/smbh_loader.swf

That has got to be the most irritating Flash work I have ever witnessed.

Oeneus wrote:
    That has got to be the most irritating Flash work I have ever witnessed.
    Not the best alright! You could always look away though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I think he wants us to think we are in a club, but really its oww my brain. Was crying shame the same track as Easy Tiger, i can't remember what songs i have.

Advertisement