Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Ireland Team

• 07-05-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was thinking about this from the JACK Charlton question. A guy i used to work with from England we used to come up with the worst players to play for ireland and England...e.g.Geoff Thomas!!!
    So was thinking of My irish team. Numbered them in the old style position's.

N.B. I've only started following ireland since 1990...So its actually hard to pick some guys, considering we have done very well, particuarly comparing it to the previous 70 years.

1.Joe Murphy - 1 cap vs Turkey '03....proved that he shouldnt get a second cap.
    2.Alan Maybury - Very limited player, one of Brian Kerr's favourites in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.
    3?? - Cant think of a left full
    4.Paul Butler - 1 Cap vs Czech Republic 2000. Jan Kohler destroyed this guy in 45 minutes. Never got another Cap.
    5.??-cant think of another crap center half.
    6. Barry Quinn - Looked like a good prospect but...halled off after 20 minutes vs Mexico in US Cup 2000, never got another look in.
    7.Eddie McGoldrick - Will never forget his corner's vs Northern Iron in '94. All brutal.
    8.Lee Carsley - This guy was a very crap David Batty. He got a few caps because we were struggling for midfielders at the time.
    9.Gary Doherty - May I ask Brian Kerr how this guy got so many caps??
    10.Owen Coyle-5 or 10 mintues vs Holland in '94. We got a good 1-0 result away, coyle got 1 attrious touch, never seen again!!
    11.Alan Mahon- Always remember him taking a corner vs Scotland in 2000. The ball travelled about 5 yards!

Well that my team. I have left out the following, and am waiting for ppl to add these in!!!

Phil Babb - In all reality Babb was outstanding in USA '94
    Kenny Cunningham - Personally I think he is one of the most over rated players to ever play for Ireland
    Mark Kennedy-Had all the ability but never applied himself in the green jersey. And I will always remember that classic goal vs Yugoslavia in 1999.
    Rory Delap - hhmmm cant think up of a reason agaisnt him, Brian Kerr never gave him in a look in though.
    David Connolly - Another guy who was all mouth and didnt apply himself enough! Although he got a good few goals agaisnt the likes of Leichenstein.

So anyone got any views??

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DaveH wrote:
    Rory Delap - hhmmm cant think up of a reason agaisnt him, Brian Kerr never gave him in a look in though.

Good ol plug. What spectacular ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

For number 3, Ian Harte or John O Shea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Throw Doherty in centre half and put Connolly in up front, utterly attrocious player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

ian harte was/is a good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Terry Phelan has to be included. Only thing that may save him is that psychopathic stare he gave Ray in the Giants Stadium. Everyone was scared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Eddie McGoldrick was a disaster.:eek: His wiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

mchurl wrote:
    Throw Doherty in centre half and put Connolly in up front, utterly attrocious player imo.

Totally agree. Great lad to chase a through ball, but never actually seemed to get to it. Not so sure about Ian Harte. He usually had a decent game, but when he had an off day he could be brutal. A cracker on free kicks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Have to say I think if this is to be a legitimate 'worst team ever' then some of the choices above are a bit suspect There's names being thrown around here who managed to play for us 30 or 40 times so they couldn't have been THAT bad no matter what you actually think.

Anyway, here's some more definite contenders.

GK Keith Brannagan

CB Brian Carey
    CB Liam Daish

M Mark Kelly
    M Mike Milligan (yes he actually played for us once believe it or not! )
    M Thomas Butler

F Michael Evans (Will be nothing more than a pubquiz question in the annals of Irish soccer history)
    F John Macken
    F John Goodman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Pigman II wrote:
    Have to say I think if this is to be a legitimate 'worst team ever' then some of the choices above are a bit suspect There's names being thrown around here who managed to play for us 30 or 40 times so they couldn't have been THAT bad no matter what you actually think.
    Completely agree. Thats why i made the Phil Babb comment, Babb had some very good games for Ireland, put people will say oh he's rubbish.
    Pigman II wrote:
    Anyway, here's some more definite contenders.

GK Keith Brannagan

CB Brian Carey
    CB Liam Daish

M Mark Kelly
    M Mike Milligan (yes he actually played for us once believe it or not! )
    M Thomas Butler

F Michael Evans (Will be nothing more than a pubquiz question in the annals of Irish soccer history)
    F John Macken
    F John Goodman
    I think Brannagan is a bit unfair...He did win the Division 1 goalie of the year 2 or 3 times. He was up agaisnt Shay Given, Alan Kelly and Dean Kiely.
    Brian Carey...what a useless Center Half
    Daish..big lump!
    Mark Kelly...never saw him play
    Mike Milligan...midfield v portugal 96...McAteer, Kenna, Staunton, Kennedy. Sub in the game babb into midfield for Staunton..Milligan on the bench!!!! need I say more.
    Thomas Butler...forgot about his cameo roles.

Mickey Evans...what a legend. Wasnt it a fan got in touch with Mick McCarthy to tell him he was irish.
    John Macken...FFS!
    Jon Goodman..forgot about this guy as well!!! Played in the Ireland Wales game, when 5 Wimbledon players where on the pitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DaveH wrote:
    Kenny Cunningham - Personally I think he is one of the most over rated players to ever play for Ireland
    I think he makes his partner in central defence look twice the player with his ability to lead the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

blu_sonic wrote:
    ian harte was/is a good player

I always quite liked him tbh, but he was much maligned by a lot of people, apart from his free-kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I never thought of him as a defender, a wing back at best, but he wasn't pacey enough for the wings, pity. great crosser of a ball and amazing from dead ball situations. too good for this team. Infact should be in the current Ireland starting 11

Advertisement