Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to give a mechanic?

Options
  • 07-05-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what a mechanic would charge to come check over a car for me? My mechanic is a guy I'v know for years and is kind of an aqauaintance of my dad. He does all the servicing and bits & pieces for the families cars. I just dont want himn to think I'm trying to get him to offer to do it for nothing by asking, so If i knew a ballpark I'd know what to offer. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Maybe some kind of gift instead of cash? I know i hate taking cash in those kind of situations but you know someone appreciated it when they went to the trouble of getting you something to say thanks, however small.

Could your dad tell you something he'd like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just give him a call and say "listen would you check over a car for me and name your price" If he's a decent chap you know he'll give you a fair price and won't think twice about what sum of money to charge - he is in buisness after all!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mike65 wrote:
    Just give him a call and say "listen would you check over a car for me and name your price" If he's a decent chap you know he'll give you a fair price and won't think twice about what sum of money to charge - he is in buisness after all!

Mike.

Dont think i'd say 'name your price', more like 'any idea how much it would cost?'

Also, it would probably be easier on the mechanic and cheaper for you if you could get the seller to bring the car to the mechanic. Most sellers should be OK with this?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should be if they want a sale! Remember you are in the drivers seat so to speak.

Mike.

Advertisement